Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,409 Posts
Hi Al, thanks for the link, lot's of good reading there. If you are running two remotes then you are probably using the bigger 9+ channel Rx's. Do you have any experience with the smaller 7 and 6 channel stuff?

Wayne, don't let the nay sayers beat you up. It's fairly easy to switch to 2.4. Specktrum is just brand name for JR. when I switched I tended to over RX the plane. One of my RES planes has a AR9300 in it, way over kill. I use AR7000,in my Saggita, with a remote, way overkill, and currently use a AR6255 in a 3.7 Zenith, one remote, no logger port, it is just the antenna placement in a carbon fuse is the issue, no carbon, just place the antenna's at 90 degrees with one RX, no remote RX. If you are going JR, stay away from AR500, or any of the park flyer RX's. We may need to take this to PM,s, or we maybe we just need to beat up all the 72 guys

you say a JR based TX, what TX do you have?

3 servos, on 72 or 2.4 just need a a 4 AA battery pack!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Last edited by alstrahm; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Hi Al,

I'm going to send you a PM.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:13 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
I wish it were that simple around here, switch or not, whether I want to deal with a frequency board or "sheeple". I did it because of the reports of the mad-dial-a-crasher. Some is in the area with a scanner and a dial-a-crash radio, shooting down planes. His was a couple years ago now, but those with scanners still see mysterious blips jumping around the board. Not really too healthy for a 72 mHz plane, lots of models were lost back then, some very expensive scalies and mouldies. Wish there was a way to catch the jerk.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,287 Posts
Katie - Wow that is some real craziness you have out there. It is unfortunate that someone would want to ruin your fun be intentionally bringing down your plane. I consider myself very lucky in that I have multiple places to fly from all within 10 minutes of my house. Most of them are far away from houses and other obstacles.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,014 Posts
Classes

What are the woodie classes?
I am making a Skyhawk 120 and if I make a second pair of wood wings and stab I can have a woodie too.

Some questions?
I do not see restrictions on having elerons on the model but I see a bunch of RES woodies.
Can I reinforce the stab spar material with carbon and stay woodie legal?
Traian
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Hi Traian-

Although there may be different opions, I believe most follow Ray's rules for woodys. Here's a link to his stuff, just click on the Wood Crafters link from his front page (on the left).

http://www.skybench.com

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,014 Posts
Yes I read those rules.

Rule b.No restriction on spar construction or materials.
Does this include the horizontal stab spar too? I guess a spar is a spar no mater where is it found.

Rule carbon reinforcement can be used on any part of the structure.
What Structure? I believe it refers to the plane structure that is everything. Can I reinforce the Flaps to increase the torsional strength?

Traian
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
That's the way I read it. Stab spars are part of the structure... as are the flaps.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:15 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Thanks for those updates Don and jack! now there's new 'hope for Sarah's canard guts! I havea chunk of spam, in Pay pal's name, originating in UK, and a 3 digit first IP number instead of 2 digit. I have the wife understanding why it's better to spend the 5 bucks on green Dots instead of--- terror!
I like the way Ray has the bottom line statement of 'stand up for your Canard type'!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
Capt'n, tell me you got the new "space?"
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:26 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
IHAV and gang! It's verrry close so yesterday I spent a couple bucks with the insta buck online thingy,and now the wife is 'trouble'- seems the times a few years ago, at the VAMC, that when a pushy nurse who was werking fer herself and not the Vets, that the answer is to call security- so anyway, this stupid punk newbie cop starts putting pressure on julies head- right where the carbon patch from brain surgery is- the Titanium is on the other side (she's had 3 of them) I approach this piunk- I was "goin' for it"- i didn't care- unemployed-loosing house etc,I tell him to back off, that she has a brain injury there and quit shoving her around. at this time, she's in cuffs being banged on her head on the floor, and i'm staring @ .40 which looked like the mouth of the USS Massachusetts! I bail her out of jail for 50 bucks, and that's that until yesterday, when her hit showed up.
Been Verified Co. says I'm a 'likely' as a criminal search-she comes up empty. so I had to 'put that fire out' of which was explaining the (pic) difference of civilian/ pro/police search engines. things are still looking good, may be offset from the 22nd, as she needs to deal with one new communication about this one. They want us and we want their new place too! arguments over "which room how" have been discussed with her best friend, and she sees it my way now- passion pit=computer/ clean balsa and sewing room- the 'dirty' balsa will be in a closet large enough for my saw/ drill press and sander (hardly used) I even did up a 'proof' for her! (PDFs)
during the week, I also learned that the Sullivan DeHinge was taken off the market 10 years ago, and is no longer available- to mount that very thin canard foil on Sarah
more torments later!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
I talked to Jeff (Scaflock) today. He's doing really well. Just can't get back on line due to only having his phone for internet access. He says "howdy" to everyone. He should be back on shortly.

If I was a rich man, I'd take a couple of weeks off, fly out to Jeff's area of operation and help him finance and setup the club house/retreat/Playboy mansion***/ fortress, with a secondary purpose of it being a BO/SHTF location. Arizona is sounding mighty fine in some way.

***Visions of Jeff in a red silk smoking jacket, pipe in hand pontificating over the pro's and con's of various exotic hardwood.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
I've been thinking alot about Az too. Gonna try to head down for the southwest classic in Feb. Maybe look around for the next "stage." really like Sedona, Flagstaff area? Glad Jeff's doing OK. Everyone's got a new place to live... Steve, Jeff, Shreder, Coyote and the Capt'n very cool Sean , I'm ready for a road trip when you are... maybe we should wait till Jeff get's the runway tilled and planted though, Az is too hot for manual labor.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
I've been thinking alot about Az too. Gonna try to head down for the southwest classic in Feb. Maybe look around for the next "stage." really like Sedona, Flagstaff area? Glad Jeff's doing OK. Everyone's got a new place to live... Steve, Jeff, Shreder, Coyote and the Capt'n very cool Sean , I'm ready for a road trip when you are... maybe we should wait till Jeff get's the runway tilled and planted though, Az is too hot for manual labor.
I think that since this thread originally started just about every one of us has moved. I bought a new house in 2009 that is only a mile from the old one down the same road. I started to say DonW hasn't but his house burned and got rebuilt so he technically has a new abode too.

Probably good plan IHAVA. We'll all just cool our heels till Jeff gets the house done, runway finished, etc. then we'll do a mass migration and show up at Jeff's front door unannounced.

Seriously though, if I didn't have family I'd wait about two more years, sell out, cash out and head to AZ myself. Maybe buy some land next to Jeff's build a zombie proof pad with all "off the grid" systems and enjoy life.

Of course, the best thing would be to sell everything, fly to OZ and show up unexpectedly at Steve's house with plans to stay a few months. I'm sure he and his better half would really love to have an obnoxious, uninvited house guest laying around like a drunk, shiftless brother-in-law...........................
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola