Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I just got back from our club meeting where officers were elected for the next year. Out with the old, in with the new (except VP which was a tie, and we'll vote again in January). Thank goodness! Now I can renew my membership for 2013 and enjoy myself again. If things hadn't changed, I wasn't going to renew. It was that bad.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:01 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
Don: Agreed. I only keep funds in PP that I get from RC deals. It is NOT tied into my bank account, I have no CC with them and all funds there are to my mind mad money.

I actually logged on one night and found a $6500.00 deposit in my account. I assumed something was wrong so let it mature by itself. According to PP, a scammer did that, stealing the funds from someone elses account and was waiting for me to give my banking info so they could transfer everything over and have a fine time. I may be dumb (probably am) but I am NOT stupid.

I am of the "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" school of thought. I may get destroyed tomorrow but between my overly suspicious nature (you should see my home security setup) and my wife's 30+ years in the accounting/banking industry I'll just say we're.................timid.

I am presently dealing in "tangible commodities". Nothing much left to expand on.

I am gonna call Jeff K (Scaflock) tomorrow. I want the inside juicy stuff plus I have some ideas. JK, if you read this be ready for my call.

Katie (LittleStinkPot) : Hang in there. Lawyers can be your friend. I got bent over a stump by "family" to the tune of $90,000 back in 2001. It hurt, it wasn't fair, I was screwed HARD by "family" but that's life. It is sometimes better to walk away broke and in tact with your integrity, peace of mind and a good night's sleep than to develope ulcers and a poor attitude over humanity.

Always remember (And everyone reading this, take this to heart, it really does work) Karma is the biggest bitch you will ever have to deal with.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,647 Posts
It's Christmas at FedEx and I already have the "thousand yard stare" according to my wife. And I don't know how he did it, but Sean snuck over here and passed his flu to Kat.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:08 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
Thanks for the updates gang! More packing up- after Lady walks Dad!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:23 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,298 Posts
Sean, I'm hanging.

Yeah, this "family" is making out to play nice, but is still trying to get money out of me. Thing is, I'm already broke, so they ain't getting much.

BTW, did your boss ever collect those seeds? /curious
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:44 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Sean, I'm hanging.

Yeah, this "family" is making out to play nice, but is still trying to get money out of me. Thing is, I'm already broke, so they ain't getting much.

BTW, did your boss ever collect those seeds? /curious
Hey Katie,

Won't be the boss collecting the seeds, it'll be me. I just haven't had the chance to go searching yet. I am going up there this Saturday to go shootin' with all the ladies in my family. Let's see, that'll be momma, Katie, Emily, Ashley, Juliette and Shauna. Looks like a better than average chance I won't make it out of there without ventilation. Hoss, you need to get over here and help with gun range safety, either that or cover me.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
Dust ruffels and throw pillows are in Steve-O's future fellars!
Steve? What little bitty thing does she do now that just tweaks yer nipples the worst?
Now realize yer nipples are gettin tweak for a looooooong time, and not in the good way.
Now, you have to wonder what little thing it is that you do that tweaks hers and then realize..... You will stop doing it!
Oh, make sure she closes that bathroom door when she pees... That's a very important part of a realtionship!
Ya know, I like to browse the forums for educational purposes, and I do learn a lot. Hitherto to meeting your online aqaintences here I was a basic and happy go lucky fellow, yes, I was quite impressed by any female who sat and used a toilet rather than just stand up and pee out in the bush. Nowdays, life is much more complicated, there are doors involved! (yeah I read all the helpful advice, ya pack of rotten ol' barsterds )

Just catching up with reading everyones doings here is good.

Close to the weekend now and closer to setting aside some quality mancave setup therapy time. Have another workbench arrive today and somewhere to lay the B-100 plans out, Donno, so a pic of that soon I hope.

Sean.... as usual, I fret a bit for your safety. But hey if you aren't done away with by women by now there is a strong chance that life will punish you by making you live 'til you make 110 years of age, so I guess you'll be right.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,465 Posts
Woe is me, decisions, decisions

My fellow woodie flyers, I come here looking for advice today. Up until now I have been flying all my planes on 72MHz gear. I have had very good luck with my setups and I fly my planes without giving a second thought to the Tx/Rx connection. Never been shot down and with only 1 exception, I've never had a plane go down due to losing control and that one was my fault, antenna running inside a carbon boom.

I have made tenative plans to attend the soaring NATS in 2013, I will be flying in the RES class. Upon looking at the rules I have learned that 72MHZ will not be allowed. So I am forced to make the switch over to 2.4. I currently own a JR module based radio and I have a Spektrum module for it, the module has never been used but I have it. I have been trying to do some homework on what would be a reliable 2.4 setup for my plane and I must say that the threads are filled with horror stories of planes going down with Spektrum gear. I have had to learn an entire new vocabulary with words like, brown out, holds, fades, and satellite rx. I have also read through dozens of "my system is better than your system" threads where they talk about 1 antenna vs, 2 antennas, vs BODA vs satellite vs. ..... and of course everything is proprietary to each manufacturer. Let's not even get started on what the "correct" voltage is for these systems. Some say nothing lower that a 6 volt battery while the DLG guys are running a single cell LiPo at 4 volts. My head hurts.

So with all that I have a couple of questions for everyone. Here is where I am at. I will either go with a Spektrum solution or I will go with a Hitec solution. Hitec makes a module for my radio which would allow me to use the new Optima and Minima Rx's. I know there are other options but I have the list narrowed down to these two. So here are my questions:

Can a standard 2,000 mAh AA 4 cell Enloop battery safely power these recievers or should I go with a 5 cell 2/3A battery pack? 6.6v LiFe Rx packs are also an option but that brings in the whole voltage regulator discussion. My Raven will eventually have 6 servos in it. They are all analog, the biggest ones being HS-225's.

I am a little nervous about trusting my plane to the Spektrum module as it is DSM2 and not the newer DSMX. Apparently most of the issues Spektrum users had were using the DSM2 gear. I do not have an option to get a DSMX module for my radio. This would, however, be the less expensive option for me as I already own the module and only need to purchase the Rx. Going with the Hitec option will cost more. Any insight here would be helpful.

I'll start with those for now.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Dec 12, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Can't really help you except to say that I use a Futaba 9C that was converted to 2.4 from 72mHz and I've never experienced a radio signal failure (Futaba doesn't get brown outs/fades).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
I can't believe 72's aren't allowed, that's f_cking rediculous! The Enloop 4 cell will power your RES for hours, Wayne, even with 2.4.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Wayne, go here and read the 2-point-4 chronicles, very good stuff!

http://mysite.verizon.net/respri94/

Al

I use a native 9303 and Rx's usually with two remotes, check with my data logger for fades or holds never had an issue!
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
The biggest reason 72 isn't allowed anymore is in part due to the abundance of 2.4 and it's ability to not interfere with each other, the other benefit of it is that you no longer need to use frequency control boards or radio impounds. It makes running a large event much easier. The 'Joe Nall Week Fly In' went 2.4 only a few years ago with very little complaint.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
I'm with DonW. I have a few inside connections with a couple of Mfrs higher up management types. The A, numero uno reason for disallowing 72 MhZ is.........................marketing. Just like in politics, get the sheeple all in line.

I don't intend to start a fight on here so will not entertain a verbal combat match but I have never, not once lost a model to anything 72 related, never been shot down, no 3MI, nothing. Now, I don't fly in large groups or congested areas. If I did I would go 2.4 and probably still will at some point. In the meantime I don't intend on being a guinea pig for the radio companies. I know they have finally gotten almost all of the various systems smoothed out but during the first few years, after is was announced that all of the bugs had been worked out I couldn't find one single flyer that hadn't driven one into the ground due to a lock out, brown out, on and on.

So, in conclusion, if I thought about going to a meet and they said "No 72" then I'll stay home.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,298 Posts
Sean, have fun, and try not to impersonate a colander too much.

Jeff, good luck finding a solution. I can't offer much advice yet.
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I can't believe 72's aren't allowed, that's f_cking rediculous! The Enloop 4 cell will power your RES for hours, Wayne, even with 2.4.
Hi Don, I know the Enloop 4AA pack will power the Rx for an all day session but what I am wondering about is should I go to a 5 cell pack. I have heard that these 2.4 Rx's can be sensitive to voltage sags and a 6 volt Rx pack gives you a little more leeway. Now this may be old news or only applicable with voltage hungry digital servos, I really don't know. Hopefully someone here does.

Believe me when I say I was discouraged to hear that AMA was not allowing 72mHz next year. I figure it is going to cost me roughly $70 for a new Rx, not to mention the time spent researching the 2.4 gear, switching over the plane, rebalancing and retrimming. But I really want to experience NATS once in my life and right now 2013 looks doable. Heck, I still need to find someone with a winch so I can learn how to use one of those. Man what am I getting myself into??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Wayne, go here and read the 2-point-4 chronicles, very good stuff!

http://mysite.verizon.net/respri94/

Al

I use a native 9303 and Rx's usually with two remotes, check with my data logger for fades or holds never had an issue!
Hi Al, thanks for the link, lot's of good reading there. If you are running two remotes then you are probably using the bigger 9+ channel Rx's. Do you have any experience with the smaller 7 and 6 channel stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I'm with DonW. I have a few inside connections with a couple of Mfrs higher up management types. The A, numero uno reason for disallowing 72 MhZ is.........................marketing. Just like in politics, get the sheeple all in line.... ...So, in conclusion, if I thought about going to a meet and they said "No 72" then I'll stay home.
Sean, I am with you in that I have had nothing but good luck with my 72mHz stuff and I am not going to change over the fleet, only the plane I am going to take to Muncie.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence