Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
And don't forget the "lookin' at towels" and "lookin' at soaps" in the bathroom Hoss.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,545 Posts
Too much luvin' goin' on around here! Katie- here's a hug ferya! HUGG!
so I reactivated an energy account, told the wife i had no time to fight with her- she wanted to leave 387.33$ up in the air just because---she's a girl i guess! anyway, those ducks are all lined up, forwarded to Apt owners, now it's the continuation of same discussion in process- sewing +Balsa= kites!??
And Steve get's the ground floor for buidimecations-- reminds me of the title i had back when--"Metalurgical Fusion Engineer: welder- now I'm an M excavation E!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling of course
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:04 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Whats old is new

So some of you might know that I like woodie sailplanes, I like flying them and I like building them. As I am posting this here, it probably comes as no surprise to any of you. One of the reasons I like woodie sailplanes is that I like old sailplanes. The Raven I am building/finishing was designed in 1986, my Riser was designed in 1981 and most every plane that is on my "to be built" list is 1970's and older. Needless to say I will never compete in the unlimited class at the NATS.

A little while back I was given a few boxes of model magazine from the 60's and while pouring over the models of the time I noticed that many of these magazines had plans printed right in them for people to build planes from. Needless to say my scanner and Photoshop program have been busy over the past few weeks and will continue to be busy for some time to come. By now you are probably thinking "Wayne get to the point" so here it is.

Very recently a new little glider was released by ParkZone, a small foamy called the Ultra Micro Ask-21. Well in 1967 a designer named Walt Mooney had a similar sized sailplane called the Bolkow Phoebus and posted the plans for it in the magazine Model Airplane News. I thought I might share the article with all of you and a stitched together scan of the plan itself. Now I think I am safe on the copyright side of things due to how old the magazine article is and that it was a published plan but if anyone out there feels that this is somehow a violation of the RCGroups copyright rule please let me know and I will remove the plan.

So for your enjoyment I present to you the Bolkow Phoebus by Walt Mooney and be sure to check out the transmitter ad on the second page.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,645 Posts
THAT is one beautiful ship! Looks familiar but I cant place it. I'm not old enough to have seen it the first time around. Time to dig through my memory.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:29 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Could be fun with a 4 channel Spektrum brick RX in it. Hmmm...... Might have to add another plan to "the list"

Hoss, I wonder how high you could throw it? Provided the wings would stay on.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Dec 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,645 Posts
Oh no no no.... She needs to be treated like a lady. A gentle push out above an Alpine meadow to roll and soar on the effortless lift of a small slope and to glide like the angel she is. Hmm, I think I need a cigarette now...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Thanks, Wayne, that's cute as button and I've already printed the plans. This would be a great scout project...someone should kit the hell out of this.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Could be fun with a 4 channel Spektrum brick RX in it. Hmmm...... Might have to add another plan to "the list"

Wayne
That was what I was thinking.. I'd have to put a power pod on it though probably.
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thermal Naked!
Joined Dec 2007
1,645 Posts
I volunteer to be a beta tester!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post

Go pin that scumbags nuts to the wall with a rough hewn iron nail!
That's my sentiments exactly, woke up this AM(11Dec) discovered that some smuk phished my debit card info. Evidently he/she sold the info, and some other smuk in Chiago, Il stole $1008.00 from my checking account. Bank is going to re-emberise but it's going to take awhile. Anyway Merry Xmas all and a happy new year if we make it past the end of the calendar.

The Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,545 Posts
Sorry to hear that one Wylie! and I get Source Forge info updates, and the cloud seems to be the only thing goin' on- I refuse- I hope-!Looking @ 98% chance of move now- thursday is info day!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie Shaw View Post
That's my sentiments exactly, woke up this AM(11Dec) discovered that some smuk phished my debit card info. Evidently he/she sold the info, and some other smuk in Chiago, Il stole $1008.00 from my checking account. Bank is going to re-emberise but it's going to take awhile. Anyway Merry Xmas all and a happy new year if we make it past the end of the calendar.

The Coyote
Crap Coyote! I hate that. At least you'll get reimbursed but we all know that takes a while.

That's why this particular woodpecker flies low under the radar. Back in '08 we paid off all CCs, wife shut down automatic withdrawals, I only do on line transactions through Paypal (Not that they don't suck but I keep minimum amounts there) and I'm doing my best to keep personal info off line, not that I haven't screwed that up here.

I won't go into details but right now my family is going through a phase of acquiring certain tangibles and foregoing expensive vacations, new car purchases and so forth. No, we are NOT in the Disaster Prepper mode but we are in the financial security state of mind.

Anyone interested in hedging their bets can PM me for my opinion, which may be worth a fortune..............or less than 2 cents.

PS: Wylie C: I have the plans, ribs and such sitting on my desk at work to ship to you. I apologize for the delay but I've been battling the flu for the last week. Upside, I did in fact find the plywood joiners.......................they were stuck in the rolled up plans and I found them when I unrolled everything.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:23 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Steve,

That is an awesome looking pad! Make the call and that's where you'll be forever. Choose wisely, check angle to TV.
Sean, ditto the comment "awesome looking pad", and then you come up with "check angle to TV" - absolutely f'_n hilarious!

I really appreciate the dialog folks -makes me grin~

Robout
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,960 Posts
Sean, be careful with PayPal. Not too long ago my account got hacked and someone tried to buy about $900 worth of computer equipment using my account. PayPal stopped it, but still held my money in limbo for about three weeks before refunding it. Meanwhile a close relative (with email address on a totally different ISP, so the only common denominator was PayPal) also got his account on PayPal hacked. We got our money back and then closed our accounts there. However, bottom line is it appears they may have a security problem.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I'd be happy of I just survive the next month. Phew!

Too long a story to go into details, but it involves an outdated trust, a lawyer friend, and an in-law that I REALLY don't like right now. When all's said and done at the end, you find the full report in LtUP.

At least (through some magic of ownership and title names) the cars and boats are mine. In-law doesn't know it yet. Oh! And all the RC stuff, mine, never a question.

Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot