Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Don't you dare forget to take pics of it before you ship it to Wylie!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:36 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Sean I agree. I have 2 ARF's and it's like they were never shrunk completely. I would tack and seal the obvious areas and not gun the open ones.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
I'm a little slow on the uptake, this week. Staff meetings are that way.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:24 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Is everyone out flying?

Where are the flying reports?

Even though we got a big storm this last week, I managed to get some work done in my chilly attic workspace. The last wing panel has been spar-ribwebbed and CF'd/epoxied on the trailing edge; the first leading edge sheeting has been dampened, shimmed up to the ribs to shape and then glued when it dried for a few days.

I decided a good while ago that I wanted to make extensions like seanpcola showed in post #992 on page 67 of this thread,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...861944&page=67

So I clamped two pieces of 3/8th balsa between the 2 ply root ribs to sand them to shape ( almost forgot to eyeball that they were aligned square to each other until too late.)

There is a lot of fiddly details left, but I have to post so my flying buddy, who is on the road 3 and a half weeks out of 4, can see I am making progress.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Feb 16, 2009, 07:55 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
GD, nice photos, the one of your backyard reminded me of the time I lived in Scotland, mate that does look cold, so cold!

Sorry no reports here, yuck weather and life is stopping me. Like you I'm looking forward to Olyman flight reports. You guys are a hardy breed flying in the winter like you do.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:36 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Looking good GD, how's the removables going? Nope, no flyin round here. The wind won't let up it seems especially on the weekend. Little progress here on the O3, got too much going on in the yard/pool construction. Went to my LHS and bought some brass tubing for the alignment rod as Steve suggested and got some new wood for longer spoilers...please forgive me Ray . Every day I come home and only get to do/glue one thing .

Steve, are your wings retained by the supplied screw-eyes and r-bands or what? If so, about where did you put them in relation to the chord width?

Don
Last edited by dwells; Feb 17, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:56 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
The removables are the responsibility of the other department which only works for three days a month when that department head is in town. Close, but he isn't happy yet.

I want to know about how someone else has done the wing retaining also. Off to the cold attic to get some work done now. Maybe I can report some progress if my fingers don't get frostbite. Warm last night though, so the epoxy almost set up on the trailing edge assembly by this morning.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:25 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Fella's, on my bird I use a couple of strips of wide clear tape maybe 6"-8" long to keep the wings, thick hinge tape works well its sticky but peels off without pulling up your film with it.

Don we could do with that pool down here right now, and I'd be in it but for all the rain we are getting of late. Sounds like a lot of work but wait until summer comes then you'll be laughing.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
That reminded me!
Looking at my Sky Bench 2m Bird plan earlier I noticed a possible use for the eye screws and rubber band that comes with the OlyIII kit, it might originally be there to retain the canopy.

On the previous post, by bird I mean't the O3, not the 2m Bird.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:06 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Yeah Steve, come summer it will be nice. I was thinking the supplied screweyes with the O3 was for wing retension as there was nothing indicating elsewise. I used the r-band and hook thing on my Spirit canopy but just epoxied a bent nail to the fuse bottom .
Last edited by dwells; Feb 17, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I use a slightly different version of that hold down system when I swap out the rubber band for a small spring that I get at Lowes/Home Depot. Keeps the canopy in place great and you never have to change bands on it. I usually mount the eye onto the bulkhead instead of the fuselage floor.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I still am yet to find some suitable small magnets anywhere around town here, i'd like to do the magnet hatch retainer thing for both the Oly and other builds just as Sean, GD, the Ol'coot and Don have done. If any aus members know where to get 'em, please chime in.

Taping the wings works fine with a sensible tape, I've even used insulation tape when I'd forgotten the 48mm clear tape. Lol I've seen $2000 mouldies with their wings held on with plain old el-cheapo sticky tape!

Jeff, the light spring idea is a good one.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:12 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Steve,

I have tons of magnets that are perfect for the canopy. IF you need some shoot me your address and I'll mail some to you.

Sean
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Jeeez, guys,

Just getting caught up and missed a ton of posts. Way too much going on around here lately. Also haven't posted on the OBBBC site either.

I'll be back on track shortly. Still pidling with the Oly covering when I can.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey Sean I know what you mean, its sometimes hard to visit all our subscribed sights each day. Tell you what, if we can't find any magnets round here in the next week I'll take you up on the offer as i just don't have much time to track them down, thanks mate. I have a girl reckons her craft shop has them, we'll see.