Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:31 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
I've got dozens of rolls of covering and I keep scraps but.......not one single extra piece of Ultracote Flame Red. I just realized on the Oly III that I need one piece the size of the hroizontal stabhalf to complete it without seaming. Gonna call some locals tonight and see what they have. I may have to buy a whole roll since I have no intention of having a seam right where it will how the most.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:50 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Isn't it strange how it always turns out the the covering you need the least amount of is always the one you don't have on hand?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Thanks Steve. Looking at the plan, there is one length depicted in the wing drawing and a different length (dashed line) depicted on the W-11 drawing. Which one did you go with .
Don, I just unrolled my plan for a squiz and the dotted line seems to mark the spruce frame that supports the spoilers, i don't think it is related to the rear W11. The rear W11 ends 12.75" out from the root on the plan, my rear W11 was the standard length and thats how it went in, its slightly shorter than the front W11 brace. I'm not certain but i hope this is a help to the question.

Film!! Holy smokes it can get dear! For the oly wings i used transparent solarfilm, $18/roll rather than $25/roll for mono, and it weighs a little less than mono. Like Jeff I have an offcuts bin any cut larger than a cigarette pack goes into.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 11, 2009, 07:07 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Isn't it strange how it always turns out the the covering you need the least amount of is always the one you don't have on hand?
Its the same with servo arms. I have about 600 of the damn things at home from many brands, and do you think I can ever find the one I need... almost never.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:12 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Yep,

Servo arms and the center screw. I ordered a pcackage of HiTec, Futaba and JR machine screws, never one that will fit my needs when the time comes.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:54 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
A picture's worth a thousand words . I have 4 W-11's all the same length do I cut the rear ones off? The print shows 2 different lengths. Does it even matter?
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:07 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
A picture's worth a thousand words . I have 4 W-11's all the same length do I cut the rear ones off? The print shows 2 different lengths. Does it even matter?

Ooops, you might have four front W11's there. I'd cut two down to the rear W11 size and keep the off-cuts handy for later. If we are wrong I'm sure Ray will chime in. I think if the front and rear braces were all the same length then what you have is a weak point were they both end.
Eeek gotta go, boss is looking at me and the clock.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Makes good sense Steve...thanks.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:30 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Yep, go with the plans. As Steve said, if you make them all the same length you'll get a stress riser right where they end outboard. Actually much stronger with the rear one shorter as per drawings.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:35 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
I'm not looking at my plans right now and I'm too blind to see the details in Don's photos but IIRC there should be two W11s, two W11As and two W-11-Bs. The longest one and next one down get laminated together and go on the front side, the shortest two go on the back. All butt at the root.

Notice the angle cut in one end of each piece. These go inboard and the angle sets the plywood root rib. Be sure all inboard angles are slanted and that angle corresponds to the dihedral angle of the joiner tube.
Last edited by seanpcola; Feb 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:45 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
While I am of technical mind, here is a hypothetical hint I want to throw out here and see what you all think.

I'm covering Oly's Wylie (inside joke to the Coyote). We are having some humid weather. I've chased wrinkles twice on every part so far. I'm not trying to avoid doing the last detailed shrink but I am afraid the wood will move a little when it get's there. I'm thinking it best to get all of the seams done and doing a quick onceover but it may be better to let him tighten everything once he gets it and she settles down.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
I always start at the root and shrink the sheeted areas first. I then work one bay at a time doing the top and bottom alternately. That usually keeps me from having any warps to work out... I use a 12" long, 1/16" bit to make a hole in each rib, centered next to the spar, to allow heated air to escape.

JW
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:32 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Jack, I'm not having a problem covering it (except for time). What I'm refering to is how the wood shifts with climate change, etc. Every ARF model I've ever seen (built up/covered) is always loose when it first comes out of the box. This one wil be going from here, where we are having extremely high humidity for this time of year all the way to the West Coast. I'm guessing that no matter how tight I get it it's gonna be wrinkled when Wylie opens the box.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:38 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,021 Posts
likee

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Jack, I'm not having a problem covering it (except for time). What I'm refering to is how the wood shifts with climate change, etc. Every ARF model I've ever seen (built up/covered) is always loose when it first comes out of the box. This one wil be going from here, where we are having extremely high humidity for this time of year all the way to the West Coast. I'm guessing that no matter how tight I get it it's gonna be wrinkled when Wylie opens the box.

Willie E Coyote will likee anyway....
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:46 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Oh, I don't think you will be dissapointed Wylie, just may have to really go over it again with the heat gun before you fly. My rolls of pearl white are not acting right, I think they may be old so I went with regular white Ultracote.

And yes, I am up way early this morning.