Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:51 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Ohhhh crap! Wylie I just read your post and guess what it reminded me of? The 15 promises I made to you about getting those measurements! Dude, I apologize!!!!

The OIII looks good though. I still like the minimalistic color pattern. When I do get around to mine I may do it the exact opposite so they'll be sisters.

Good luck tomorrow and file a report.

No problems, just used the ole TLAR method, will do....
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:39 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Basic assembly complete. Pre-programming check........
Servo wiggle: check
Battery: check
Receiver: borrowed from the GL

Power on Tx and Rx.........
Select model: "Buteo" ...........
Test .........
Power off Rx: .......
Select model: "Sanwa 05"
Copy data: from "Buteo" to "Sanwa 05"
Rename model: "BoT ARF"
Reverse rudder servo: .........
Power on Rx: .......
Test function: ..........
Verify expo: ..........

Set up complete ...........

Assemble balance stand: ........
Add 1.5 oz of lead to nose: .......

Model ready for trim tosses, weather permitting. Canopy final assembly pending pilot carving.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:42 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,681 Posts
Go Katie Go!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:58 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Oh, okay then, just tuning in after not having done so a while. Wow, does stuff happen fast here!

Kate, I just wanted to send belated condolences also. I'm so very sorry for your loss, and friends (even online versions) are the best to have around at times like this...unfortunately, I know. We're here for you, and if you ever feel like going for a drive, and flying in the wine country, just let me know you're on the way! It would be great to meet you in-person someday

Stay well, and dry. The Napa river is slated to reach 1.5 ft OVER flood stage by tomorrow, after tonights 3rd big storm. Is it too late to start building an Arc?

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
What he said ^ Good luck on the trimming tosses Katie!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hello everyone,

Some time back I obtained a Sig Ninja slope plane.It was already built but was in need of some repairs. I have been working on it simultaneously while working on the Raven. Well it is ready for its maiden. So what do we call it after a plane has been repaired, rebuilt and we maiden it? Remaiden? Well whatever it is called, it is ready. I will try to get a few pictures posted later. It is possible I may have some time tomorrow to do some hand throws for trimming.

Rob, get all the balsa to high ground. So is the occasional floodwater a good thing or a bad thing for the grape vines out there? Stay safe.

Katie, good luck with the trim flights and the maiden.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
While flood water contains nutrient rich mud and silt, if the timing is wrong, the sudden influx of water can cause grapes to swell with water and loose flavor and even split.

Wayne, good luck on the remaiden!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:53 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Question: The tow hook assembly is a wooden block inside the fuse, with blind nuts inserted from inside. What I have now are four holes, about 3/8" deep, with a 1/8" metal threaded area at the top. The rest of the holes are larger than the tow hook. When I thread the hook into the holes, I need to go fairly deep before I get a good bite, and enough thread pokes out the top for the nut to grab hold of. The hole allows the tow hook to rattle around a bit with no support. That also doesn't leave much room for the tow ring. What can I do? Is there such a thing as an inside threaded tube that I can epoxy in? Perhaps I can lube up a matching thread screw and use it and some balsa dust filled epoxy (I've found that stuff to be ROCK hard.) to fill the gap. I would also like a slightly longer thread in the hook, so I gotta find or make one. Arrrgh.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:55 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Question: The tow hook assembly is a wooden block inside the fuse, with blind nuts inserted from inside. What I have now are four holes, about 3/8" deep, with a 1/8" metal threaded area at the top. The rest of the holes are larger than the tow hook. When I thread the hook into the holes, I need to go fairly deep before I get a good bite, and enough thread pokes out the top for the nut to grab hold of. The hole allows the tow hook to rattle around a bit with no support. That also doesn't leave much room for the tow ring. What can I do? Is there such a thing as an inside threaded tube that I can epoxy in? Perhaps I can lube up a matching thread screw and use it and some balsa dust filled epoxy (I've found that stuff to be ROCK hard.) to fill the gap. I would also like a slightly longer thread in the hook, so I gotta find or make one. Arrrgh.
Without seeing it I'm guessing the holes are the size they are to facilitate installation of blind nuts. They go in down from the top, towhook threads through them and the extra nut is used as a stop nut. What it sounds like anyway.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Sean, you got that dead on. I'm just concerned about all the "dead space" between the bottom of the fuse and the beginning of the blind nut, as well as the very narrow gap between fuse and hook.

Last night inset the plane down on the floor for a moment to check servo wiggle. Shasta took that opportunity to christen the stab, the little s****. The plane is officially ready to fly, according to her.

Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
May not be following you. Do you have a blind nut in the hook hole that looks like this (one on the left of photo)?
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Yes. The hole is deeper than the nut is long. It is a nut quite like the one on the left.

ETA:

I did manage to get the hook installed, and it is actually leaning against the fiberglass edge of the hole (oops. Crooked assembly), and it is somewhat snug. I feel that a dab of CA might finish it. That lean is actually in the right direction, putting the stress during launch against be 'glass instead of empty air. Anyways. Once I find a socket that can FIT, I'll call it good enough.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Dec 01, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:43 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Yes. The hole is deeper than the nut is long. It is a nut quite like the one on the left.
Maybe pot in aluminum threaded spacers? Probably find them at a place like HSC Electronic supply in Santa Clara or Frys. Get a long screw ( wax so it doesn't get stuck ) screw spacer into your blind nut, pot them in with your balsa dust / epoxy mix, remove the screw, cut flush with the bottom of the fuse.

Easy peazy

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:46 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Bruce, genius! Thanks.

Successful test throws today. I couldn't stay long because of the 10-15 mph wind and puddles, but the last one got some nice hang time before the plane settled. I'm ready to winch it. Tap rap tappity tap!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,142 Posts
You can buy brass threaded inserts, with a male coarse thread on the outside to grip the wood, and a female machine screw thread on the inside to fit your tow hook's threads. Try your local hobby shop, or the fasteners section at Ace Hardware.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse