Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:23 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,075 Posts
She must be pretty small to have to climb into a RC sailplane, Break your back while sneezing? Now that is an allergy... Just kiddin Lil, Enjoy your BOT
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,373 Posts
I'll tell the story tomorowwwwww IHAV! - short part is when management was involved with production team
seriously, I spent the night looking for some kind of prebuilt plastic doo dad, which would do this: (pics) I need to have a new territory delved into: due to canard foil @ root being .434 thick, a 'normal' wing rod won't work, so I need to do what my pal did: an arrangement that setting would) drop the canard in on the vertical, hook into a pinned seat, locked to the bulkhead, then rotate canard to flying position, and set the servo linkage as 'normally' done here's a couple modes, Bill was mentioning going with ball links-- but I don't quite agree
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
Corona!? Mexican monkey p*ss in a bottle! I wouldn't drink that if it was free... well, maybe I would . My preferred barley pops are darker ales (Sam Adams, Yuengling, and the like), but I've also grown fond of a few porters and stouts. I never have developed a taste for hard liquor though, except maybe an occasional shot of Ouzo (a former Greek Girlfriend got me started with that).
TJ.... There is only one brew I drink on a regular basis and that's Guiness Stout. I've also got some bad memories of Ouzo from a wild night at a Ren-Faire NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Since I'm alergic to most grains, and don't like rice beers, I'm stuck with hard stuff... and since whiskey doesn't seem to bother my alergies, and since my wife's maiden name is Daniels, I could easily be... Jack Daniels... Gentleman Jack gets my vote... but not very often...
I used to drink a lot of J.D Darth. Then a friend introduced me to single malt scotch. Now trying to drink J.D. is like trying to swallow a p.o.ed Bobcat! It claws all the way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Blew up my ACL today at work If I was still drinking,,, I'd be hittin-it-hard right now. Maybe I'll just chase a few pain killers with a frosty A&W
I hear ya Ihava! My prescription is to take two bottles and call me in the morning. Just remember it could be worse. I cracked two vertebra in my back while in the Army. A week after the injury they shipped me to Ft. Irwin in California and had me running around the desert in the back of a A.P.C for three months! It still gives me fits from time to time. Knees can be rebuilt or replaced but a back can't. I don't trust any doctor near my spine with a knife! I'd rather have Sean come out with his chainsaw then let them "fix" my back. They call it a "Practice" for a reason. Namely they don't have it down right yet!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Fortunately, I've never suffered an injury like that IHAVA, so I can't really relate to your pain, but I can imagine that it's bad. I have suffered (and still do) from lower back pain that leaves me near immobile at times, so I can relate to wanting to punch holes in the wall. Like Scaflock said, not much can be done for the back. I know a girl who's had both hips and both shoulders replaced (car accident) and she's only 42! But she moves around just fine. So joints can be replaced with good results these days.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:39 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Ihavawdy,
Sorry to hear about your knee. My left knee was messed up in a car accident and took 6 months of rehab to get it "close" to normal, and the Right knee had the ACL blown out in another car accident about 4 years ago along with a broken elbow. that was about 5 months of rehab. A little over a year ago I blew a disc in my lower back and had to have that operated on. To this day that still gives me problems.

In other words, I know what your are going through, lol. Hope you make a fast and full recovery.

PS. I am only 29...for a few more days.
RCROBBY is online now Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Robby, you may need to stay away from automobiles for a while dude. 2 accidents and you're not even 30!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I agree Robby. That or we find you a TANK to drive around in!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I agree Robby. That or we find you a TANK to drive around in!

Ohhh, Now that sounds like fun! I bet the mileage would be horrible though..

Yeah, I don't like driving in the snow/ice anymore, lol. First accident was black Ice(my fault) second one was snow and ice (not my fault). It really sucks to watch a car spinning down a hill right at you knowing you have nowhere to go...
RCROBBY is online now Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Catchin up here-

Although I do like an occasional brew, the hard stuff is easier on me and less calories, I have to watch my figure, you know . I usually drink either vodka or a Canadian blend out of one of them little bitty glasses.

Woody, sorry to hear about your knee . If you have any left over codine please mail to this address ≡. Seriously, I too know the deep pain, I had this happen to me Thanksgiving about 5 years ago, also a seperated AC (shoulder). No pain now in the area of the tears but causes the rotator cuff to pull very easily.

I hate gettin old.......
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Since I'm alergic to most grains, and don't like rice beers, I'm stuck with hard stuff... and since whiskey doesn't seem to bother my alergies, and since my wife's maiden name is Daniels, I could easily be... Jack Daniels... Gentleman Jack gets my vote... but not very often...
Yeah, OK Jack. We believe you.

Seems kind of convenient, that allergy thing, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Blew up my ACL today at work If I was still drinking,,, I'd be hittin-it-hard right now. Maybe I'll just chase a few pain killers with a frosty A&W
Really sorry to hear that.

I've been pretty lucky in regards to accidents. Tore up both knees in High School but they're only now starting to haunt me. I get beat up at work daily but it's always those small, niggling pains, just enough to keep me POed at myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
I I'd rather have Sean come out with his chainsaw then let them "fix" my back. !
Any time Jeffster!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:32 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
Careful Jeff, Sean offered to do my nasal surgery with his Dremel!
It's actually pretty much what the doctor did though.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
814 Posts
So, it's come to this? A bunch of old folks start out talking about woodies (gliders) and end up comparing injuries?

Ha!

... OK, so a summer ago (2011) I jumped off a fence to impress my daughter's friend and badly dislocated my ankle. It went all wobbly... One of those things where you know immediately that you were an idiot. I asked my wife to please just pull firmly on my foot and, very reluctantly, she did and we heard this glitch-squoirt-clok and my ankle relocated. Pretty nauseating. Still I was in a cast and crutches for three months after. The bone doc said my wife did exactly the right thing and saved any permanent damage to the ankle. Love is good. No more fences -- too old for impressing the younger generation with physical feats (and eankles). If my plane lands in a tree--I won't climb after it anymore. Like I said, love is good.

W
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New projects
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:58 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
Careful Jeff, Sean offered to do my nasal surgery with his Dremel!
It's actually pretty much what the doctor did though.
Yeah Hoss and you darned sure didn't have nearly as much fun as you would have with me did you?! I told you we could use my build table and then after cleaning up the blood we could build gliders and use hops for anesthetic.Every time you started to whimper I'd just pour another brew down yer throat.

Welcome Wingloada! Lucky you had a wife that "hopped" into action. You are lucky!

I've had thousands of dumb accidents but only a couple that resulted in an emergency room visit. Most of mine are just small and extremely stupid.

That last weird one I remember having occurred while drilling a piece of sheetmetal. I was making a control panel for my winch. To illustrate the shear brilliance of that particular operation I should say that I have hundreds of clamps, a table and floor drill press and several sizes and styles of drill press vices with which to properly secure material, all within arms reach of those presses. I didn't use any of them because I was in a hurry and frankly, due to my superior knowledge and mad skillz I can perform dangerous procedures that make mere mortals cringe with fear. without risk of injury.

Or so I thought.

I grabbed my 18V cordless drill, installed a brand new, fresh out of the bubble pack 3/8" drill bit.

Why not use a smaller starter bit or one of my Unibits that are made for the job? I didn't have time for that nonsense. I got building to do and can't be slowed by details.

So, I grabbed the sheetmetal piece, held it down with my left hand (yep, not even a pin-punched starter mark), placed the tip of the bit on my pencil mark and pulled the trigger.

Instead of digging in or most likely walking around the mark a little, the bit slipped, slammed into my left hand and dug in directly behind the bottom joint of my thumb. Due to my cat-like reflexes dog-like IQ I immediately released the trigger (or the drill slipped out of my hand, I don't remember). Since it was winding down the bit leisurely fed under the skin and traveled across the top of my hand, making a path parallel to the first finger joints, stopping about an inch or better into the tunnel.

To add to the mirth, just as I got the bit stopped my wife throws the shop door open, walks in and says "Hey baby, ready for din..............". She runs over, takes in the whole scene and says we're going to the ER, she'll grab her keys. With a combination of surprise, frustration, embarrassment, astonishment and incredulity I calmly said "STOP! Be quiet a second, I'm trying to figure what to do!".

Now blood is beginning to form a nice little puddle on the workbench and all I can think is "I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS BIT OUT OF MY HAND!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!" Oh, I also remember that I could see the spiral flutes of the bit outlines in my skin and thinking " Wow, that's weird".

So, I did the only thing I could think of, I flipped the switch into reverse and slooowly backed the bit out. Best I could tell it followed the "grain" back out perfectly. Once it was out all I had was a 3/8" dia. (Exactly 3/8", I buy quality drill bits) cut on top of my hand. No pain and I had full use of all of my digits.

I refused medical attention but did pour alcohol on the wound, the good 91% stuff I use for cutting epoxy, dried blood and skin from my tools and work table. After I regained consciousness my wife closed it with a butterfly bandage and I was good to go. No pain until right about the time I hit the sack. That was a long night.

I watched it closely for a week waiting for those pretty little red streaks that indicate serious infection has come for a visit. Never did.

Wife asked about it every day thinking I needed a precautionary antibiotic round but I refused. Now THAT was probably the dumbest part but I dodged the bullet (if not the drill bit) that time. When she expressed wonderment that it didn't in fact get infected I reassured her by mentioning that the drill bit was brand new and was factory sealed in plastic. In fact, the oil coating applied to keep the bit from rusting on the shelf probably acted as a bacterial insulator.

I got a lot of , mixed in with a couple of .

On an up note I've got this really cool "Yin/Yang" looking scar on my hand now. People pay big bucks to have that symbol tattooed on their rear end.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:53 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,407 Posts
[QUOTE=Lil Stinkpot;23382410]Laquer, I *did* say I was cheating. I blame Al. (thanks, man!)

I just need to wait for Friday $$ and install the servos and get her balanced and programmed.

The other BoT is still hibernating on the table.

Well, at least LS is showing us some wood! Let me know when the maiden is! And if on a winch, tap it up I read somewhere, that spar ain't that great Have fun!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
And if on a winch, tap it up I read somewhere, that spar ain't that great Have fun!

Al
The early BOT ARFs had the sheer webs installed horizontally. The first crashed one I rebuilt was that way. Unless that is a really old version she is probably OK, though that's not to say it'll take full pedal.