HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Please help name this glider
Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:44 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
atmosteve's Avatar
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Olyers,

I noticed on the plans that the rear W-11 ply spar brace shows to be shorter than the front. Is this for ease of making the spoiler control horn clearance? I saw no reference to this anywhere although I am deaf, dumb and blind (tooted) after about 6:00pm .

Don
Hey pard, you are looking good to go there, its the most exciting part of any build.

Don, I can't speak for Ray, but I think its got more to do with the pressure load distribution along the length of the inner wing.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:26 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Ray, thats right. Do you think 6" is a little to excessive and weighty?


NO ...... I THINK IT IS TERRIBLY EXCESSIVE AND WEIGHTY.

HOW ARE YOU ATTACHING THE WING ?


Ray
Sky Bench
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:42 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
atmosteve's Avatar
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Oh, ok then. The 2m First has about 4" joiner system, maybe i'll follow that, what you reckon?

Wing will be bolted on, as per instructions with probably a personal twist of some minor kind. Fuse will be slimmed down as per recomendations, she is gonna be a slick little rig YEEEHAH!!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
Registered User
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Oh, ok then. The 2m First has about 4" joiner system, maybe i'll follow that, what you reckon?

Wing will be bolted on, as per instructions with probably a personal twist of some minor kind. Fuse will be slimmed down as per recomendations, she is gonna be a slick little rig YEEEHAH!!


Ah ... what is a 2m First ? how much wing area ???

Why do you want a two piece wing ??

Have you calculated the extra weight of a two piece wing.

Where do you want to locate extra weight: in the overall strength of the wing for zoom launching or in the extra weight of a two piece wing ?

My one piece bolt on wing 2M Lil Bird Specs: Wing weight 13-1/2 oz.

Fuse complete with attached tail parts weight 15 oz.

The wing is a heavy version designed for extreme zoom launching.

I have 2M Lil Birds that weigh 21 oz, but don't launch as high, although most flyers are inpressed with the launch height. Most stock 2M Lil birds weigh from 21 oz to 24 oz.

A one piece wing can be made stronger and lighter than a two piece wing of equal strength.

I should add that my 2m is carrying a five cell battery.

Ray
Sky Bench
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:26 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
atmosteve's Avatar
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Ray,
-Two piece so i can transport it on my motorbike, thats the only reason otherwise it would DEFINITELY be a one piece as common sense depicts.

- joiners would be boxed inside the spars, and the wing bolts accomodated through a spruce structure in front if the spars, I'm yet to determine all the details as yet but weight is a major consideration.

- I need to buy the joiner materials before I can measure and weigh anything

- battery will be a 4xAAA cell, at first, its a matter of ballast later perhaps

- Yes if i could keep it to less than 24oz with a two piece wing i would be satisfied, as you know we are a pretty clever mob when it comes to keeping things light yet strong where possible

- It may need a one piece if strength is in doubt, I'm not renowned for being a ponce on the pedal or being afraid of a good stretch.

- Plenty of time yet before build, I'm open to all advice from my fellow Sky Bench kit lovers and Ray alike.

- pic of a First attached, here is a blurb on it;
This is a 2-channel, polyhedral model suitable for thermal or slope flying. Two piece wing with steel wing joiner.
- wing span:2000mm
- length: 1136mm
- weight: 700g
- wing profile: SD7037
This model is particularly suitable for 2m class, and it has already won several Australian events.
This model is extremely strong, and can be launched off an F3b winch, no problem at all. They are launched off two man reflex hand tows at the 2m Millennium Cup T.D. events, and can take tremendous launch pressure. A very competitive glider in all respects.


- Yehah!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Feb 11, 2009 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Add picture of a First for Ray
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Ahh...the first. I tried to tear it's wings off again on Sunday...no luck, but it did fly really nice, although I reckon it could do with about 50cents worth of weight in the nose
The whole sky was going up on sunday, ya missed a good one Steve.
Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Ray,
-Two piece so i can transport it on my motorbike, thats the only reason otherwise it would DEFINITELY be a one piece as common sense depicts.

- joiners would be boxed inside the spars, and the wing bolts accomodated through a spruce structure in front if the spars, I'm yet to determine all the details as yet but weight is a major consideration.

- I need to buy the joiner materials before I can measure and weigh anything

- battery will be a 4xAAA cell, at first, its a matter of ballast later perhaps

- Yes if i could keep it to less than 24oz with a two piece wing i would be satisfied, as you know we are a pretty clever mob when it comes to keeping things light yet strong where possible

- It may need a one piece if strength is in doubt, I'm not renowned for being a ponce on the pedal or being afraid of a good stretch.

- Plenty of time yet before build, I'm open to all advice from my fellow Sky Bench kit lovers and Ray alike.

- pic of a First attached, here is a blurb on it;
This is a 2-channel, polyhedral model suitable for thermal or slope flying. Two piece wing with steel wing joiner.
- wing span:2000mm
- length: 1136mm
- weight: 700g
- wing profile: SD7037
This model is particularly suitable for 2m class, and it has already won several Australian events.
This model is extremely strong, and can be launched off an F3b winch, no problem at all. They are launched off two man reflex hand tows at the 2m Millennium Cup T.D. events, and can take tremendous launch pressure. A very competitive glider in all respects.


- Yehah!
bundyglida is offline Find More Posts by bundyglida
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:13 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
atmosteve's Avatar
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundyglida
The whole sky was going up on sunday, ya missed a good one Steve.
Dale
That'd be just about right.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:13 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
atmosteve's Avatar
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey i wonder what oldcoot has been up to lately...
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
Silent Wings
Oldcoot2's Avatar
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Still here Steve.
With the economy in the toilet I am trying to figure out how to borrow enough cash to buy another roll of transparent green Moneycoat.
I could not believe that it took a roll per half wing! I'm just not used to covering this big of a wingspread.
Anyway, one half of the wing is done. I laced up the Monokote hinges on the flaps yesterday, got the servos installed and zeroed. Tell you what, if I leave those flap settings where they now are that thing is going to be hell on wheels....well, on wings. I pulled the flap lever on a test and WHAM! 90 degrees! I think that is a bit much. At least I will have it if I want to experiment.
Back to the LHS to plead and wheedle.
Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Feb 11, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:12 AM
≡LSF8067≡
dwells's Avatar
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Hey pard, you are looking good to go there, its the most exciting part of any build.

Don, I can't speak for Ray, but I think its got more to do with the pressure load distribution along the length of the inner wing.
Thanks Steve. Looking at the plan, there is one length depicted in the wing drawing and a different length (dashed line) depicted on the W-11 drawing. Which one did you go with .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:19 AM
≡LSF8067≡
dwells's Avatar
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Hey Gerald, how you been? Yes, Moneycoat is about right. With my four colors it will cost me about $80.00 initially to cover this plane. Yeah, I'll have leftovers but my wife don't understand that . Would love some pics when you get a chance.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:38 AM
I need some building time in t
scaflock's Avatar
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
LOL Yeah... sounds like when I covered up the Paragon. That thing ate up the moneykote for sure. At least by using both opaque and transparent I didn't have to use such huge sheets. Then having to re-cover the center section when I re-worked the spoilers didn't help either. "cha-CHING!!!" The LHS LOVES it when I am ready to cover! When I go to get the pearl covering for the Windfree I may have to take out a loan! Talk about "high end" on the moneykote.....

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:07 PM
≡LSF8067≡
dwells's Avatar
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
I hear you Jeff. I need about 1 ft² of "cub yellow" and it cost me $11.00 for the roll .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:59 PM
I need some building time in t
scaflock's Avatar
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
That's one reason I keep a scrap bucket for the trimmings. I don't know how many time I've needed a small piece and been able to dig one out of the bucket. What kills me is when I find myself in your situation of needing a color and not even having a single scrap of it in the shop.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 06:19 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
GDbot's Avatar
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
WHEN I finally get to covering the wings and tail I am seriously thinking of doing it all in laminating film. Supposedly it is very strong in the correct thickness, takes spray paint outside or in, and is very cheap. Need to do a little more research on the web and here on RCGroups about it. I have a link somewhere, will post it later. Laminator Warehouse???

http://www.laminatorwarehouse.com/laminating_film.shtml

Here it is, the link to the source. As little as about $25 for one roll 25" x 500 FEET! You are supposed to buy 2 rolls but they will sell you one apparently for an extra $5 on the base price. Kinda irresistible, don't cha think?

Since I have been doing wing half number 2, there hasn't really been much to post lately that isn't more of the same yet. Also, it got cold and snowy, hence, my workspace doesn't let adhesives set very quickly. I found that those little parabolic radiant electric heaters help ALOT! More soon...... Be Seeing You! Soon.....errrr......or Later
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP ME!!!< I think I'm getting addicted to cutting foam!!! slowflyer Foamies (Kits) 7 Feb 21, 2011 01:58 PM
I'm Getting my FiXX Craig558 Foamies (Kits) 6 Mar 18, 2002 11:40 PM
looks like i'm getting a piccolo, any advice? cheapflyr Electric Heli Talk 13 May 10, 2001 09:34 AM
I'm getting worried SchiessCo Electric Plane Talk 1 Apr 21, 2001 09:11 AM