Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
There was supposed to be a TD contest today. Mr Weatherman didn't get the memo, and left the fog machine on all morning. Some goofball with a Radian launched it, and nearly lost it at 150'. Once the battery ran down, the same goofball went back out with a purple Gentle Lady, and scored a six-and-a-half minute flight, hovering between 150 and 200'. Some other brave souls also launched, and one goober actually zoomed. He lost it, hit the panic button, and regained the plane -- in a dive, passing the GL by mere millimeters. Woo hoo! At noon the CD gave up and passed back our $5, and declared the winches open. Erm.... :blush: By then we had six planes tentatively going up and coming down, Bob got a ten-plus flight, again, only a couple hundred feet up. About a half hour later, we all packed up and left, after the goofball and her Radian wore out another charge on the LiPo.

The fog didn't lift entirely until after 3.

I gots a BoT! I'm epoxying the joiners now, and will install more bits tomorrow. The elevator servo goes in the tail. Huh! Funky.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:17 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Sounds like typical bay area weather to me Katie. Fog you can almost walk on. Gotta love it!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:50 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
There was supposed to be a TD contest today. Mr Weatherman didn't get the memo, and left the fog machine on all morning. Some goofball with a Radian launched it, and nearly lost it at 150'. Once the battery ran down, the same goofball went back out with a purple Gentle Lady, and scored a six-and-a-half minute flight, hovering between 150 and 200'. Some other brave souls also launched, and one goober actually zoomed. He lost it, hit the panic button, and regained the plane -- in a dive, passing the GL by mere millimeters. Woo hoo! At noon the CD gave up and passed back our $5, and declared the winches open. Erm.... :blush: By then we had six planes tentatively going up and coming down, Bob got a ten-plus flight, again, only a couple hundred feet up. About a half hour later, we all packed up and left, after the goofball and her Radian wore out another charge on the LiPo.

The fog didn't lift entirely until after 3.

I gots a BoT! I'm epoxying the joiners now, and will install more bits tomorrow. The elevator servo goes in the tail. Huh! Funky.

Katie on the BOT: Be extra careful bonding that servo in the back for the elevator. I saw at least two around here go in due to the servo coming loose.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:50 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Good to know. I'll make sure to bond it WELL.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:54 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I'm starting to think about tow planes for scale sailplanes. Anybody got any ideas? The 33% Hanger 9 Pawnee is very tempting, but I also like the simpler Pegasus (with mods).
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:57 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
I'm starting to think about tow planes for scale sailplanes. Anybody got any ideas? The 33% Hanger 9 Pawnee is very tempting, but I also like the simpler Pegasus (with mods).
You might find some info on rcaerotowing.com tug build articles. They also have reviews of a couple tow planes.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
That's where my search has started. Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Good to know. I'll make sure to bond it WELL.
Best approach I found for this is to wrap the servo in masking tape and then epoxy the taped unit to the balsa. Masking tape sticks real well to the plastic servo case and epoxy sticks real well to the masking tape. Bonus is you can remove the servo if needed. Be aware that epoxy, and other adhesives, many times do not bond well to plastic used for servo cases. If you decide to bond directly, you will need to clean the plastic with a good solvent and probably scratch the plastic for a better bite.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,980 Posts
I have had problems with that. The masking tape delaminates in the middle of its thickness, so the sticky side still stays stuck to the servo, and the other side stays stuck to the epoxy (or C/A), but the two don't stay stuck to each other.

I've had outstanding results with Mylar shrink tubing. Gabe Baltian (www.airdyn.com) used to carry his "Clearly Superior" shrink tubing that was perfect for this, but I see that website is no longer working. Anybody else know where Gabe is?

Be careful, other types of shrink tubing are Teflon or vinyl, and glue will not stick to them.

However, IF you can find some the right size to encase a servo, shrink-wrap the servo with a piece of tubing, then glue the tubing surface to the model with slow C/A. If you need to get the servo out, just slit the tubing and slip it out, leaving its shrink tubing "socket" behind. To re-install, just slip the servo back in place, then close the slit in the tubing with a piece of Scotch tape or Blenderm.

Another option that might work if you can't find Mylar tubing would be to wrap the servo with Monokote (adhesive side out, so it won't stick to the servo), then shrink that down and then glue the Monokote surface to your model.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Gabe Baltian (www.airdyn.com) used to carry his "Clearly Superior" shrink tubing that was perfect for this, but I see that website is no longer working. Anybody else know where Gabe is?
Perhaps Big Apple Hobbies?
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,980 Posts
Yup, that's the stuff!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I just dropped money on some plans for a 1/3.5 Scale Sedbergh (Slingsby) T21b from Traplet. I wanted to build a big scale gull wing glider, but I thought I better not bite off more than I can chew just yet. I'm still going to need a good tow plane (and tow plane driver ).
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,770 Posts
I have 2 hours in a "Seddy"... Can you say... Sssllllllooooooooowwwwww????
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have 2 hours in a "Seddy"... Can you say... Sssllllllooooooooowwwwww????
OK, that's cool! It may not be one of the most beautiful woodies, but they were prolific. Hopefully slow translates to thermalability . Maybe you can answer a question I've got already. On the very nose of the aircraft appears to be a receiver for a tow line, usually covered with a cap of some sort on the ground, but I've seen photos of them being towed with the line connected underneath the fuse near the skid. What gives?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,980 Posts
Some gliders have "C/G" towhooks. Good for auto and winch tows (same reason why we use them on model sailplanes), not quite so good for aero tows, but can be used for them. Also common on some types of sailplanes with retractable gear, they put the towhook on the gear so it disappears when the gear is retracted, just another way to shed a little bit of parasite drag. Some sailplanes have both types of hooks.