Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:25 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Sounds like we all need to go down under and have ourselves an Aussie style belated T-Day barbecue.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I am starting to enjoy thermal ing with shorts and no shoes. Except for the goose poop! Yuck! Still, I think I gott ditch the ballast faster, so I can wear a tank too without scaring away the neighbors. That and shorts is the closest I'll ever go to going Hoss-style.

Steve! You been naughty in LtUP?
How are those seeds coming? :angel:
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:36 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,510 Posts
I do understand that steve! say, gang, I was wonderin': have you fellas/gals seen the power cable to (wifes') lenovo? I've been through 7 boxes now, can't seem to locate it- 30% to 'new horizontal' surface!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:30 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Hey Sean, I'm up for making a trip to your section of the coast if you'll have me (I won't bring the Kilt ). I'm home now but can't do it this weekend. Next opportunity will be in two weeks.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
Hey Sean, I'm up for making a trip to your section of the coast if you'll have me (I won't bring the Kilt ). I'm home now but can't do it this weekend. Next opportunity will be in two weeks.
You got it TJ! Call me the week before and I'll clear my calendar. I'll shame Hossman into coming over too.

No problem on the kilt either. We have a much more refined type of redneck here in Hooterville East.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Working on the left inboard wing panel of my Sky Bird and realized, too late, that the left and right plans don't match. The left wing panel is 1/2" shorter than the right one. It's the first rib bay outboard of the section where the wing tubes are and inboard of the spoiler bay! I guess I'll just press on the way it is and hope for the best. I hate it when things like this happen. Makes me want to give up on it and start the next project, but I know better than to do that.
Last edited by Tango Juliet; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:54 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
No, no, that's in the plans. It's an automatic thermal circle.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
It's an automatic thermal circle.

Haha. I like that. Thanks Katie.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I'm pressing on anyhow. I took the Zona Saw to the front of ribs to seperate them from the spar in order to create the necessary gap for the doublers. I tell ya, if I ever build this bird again, I'll remember to check the plans closer, but I will also cut the ribs into sections prior to installing them. This business of cutting them after installation is just nuts. There is a better way. This is the way Ray does it, and it works for him, but I dare say it might just be that he's stuck in his ways and is unable to learn a different method. I'm not knocking Ray, I'm just sayin', there are other ways to skin a rabbit (I like cats).
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
"No launching gear.... Just yer arm" says he

That's all I do Steve-O! I'm the last of the javelin slingers! All the others took up DLG and started twirling like balerinas on expresso... I should change my nickname to Spearchunker.
Hummm I don't think it's a love of the Javelin there Hoss. I have a feeling you didn't get into DLGs because you didn't want to get any dizzier. That was the reason I gave up ukies for R/C planes. All that spinning in circles made me have to fight to keep my feet under me.

If you remember your M.A.S.H. early episodes, you'd know that the nickname "Spear Chucker" is already taken.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
I was wonderin': have you fellas/gals seen the power cable to (wifes') lenovo? I've been through 7 boxes now, can't seem to locate it...
Captain! Great news, I found your power cable! Just need to sort it out from the others, shouldn't take long...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,510 Posts
Yepper IHAV! that's it right there! Thanks a bunch! now I can continue making a granite surface 'clean'!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
Yeah TJ, I do agree about the "cutting the ribs after installation" thing. I've been through that. There may be something I don't know but I don't like doing it that way.

I'm really surprised about the plan thing. I checked the Oly II plans closely before I started and they were spot on.

Jeff, if you get dizzy doing the DLG launch you ain't doin' it right. I'm still amazed at how effortless it is.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,510 Posts
Red Tails is runnin' on HBO, so I'll get a lot further, now that I kicked the wife off comp! Ain't got room fer 2 (humans)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,577 Posts
Sorry for the problems you are having TJ. I'm right in the middle of an OLY II SX build and have mostly completed my first inner wing panel. It sounds like the build is similar to yours in that I have to cut the ribs away from the spar in order to insert the ply supports. I must admit that I've scratched my head a few times over the process, but having just done the first (front) two pieces, it's not too challenging. I do keep thinking that there ought to be a better way, but... oh well, I'll keep proceeding.

Not sure about your build, but on the OLY II SX the way the ribs are spaced is not by the plan (dimensional instability in copying), but the build process. I'm to start inboard, at the 4th rib which is place over the plan in the correct spot, then using the 3/8 balsa inch shear webs as spacers, the steps are;
1. sheer web in place
2. rib
3. sheer web...

Hopefully, when I build the other inner panel all will line up!!

If I come up with any brilliant ideas on how to fix your "situation" I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh