Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:19 AM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
I agree... have a great holiday OR just a great day!

Hey warning... downer ahead. So just hit next if you want woodie content...
k?

I always try (and often fail) to remember there are Woodie enthusiasts all over this pale blue dot and not make my comments a USA only comment. The very best thing about the net is we get to be friends with people who share our interests we would otherwise literally never know existed. In or out of our respective countries.
Just an amazing idea. Dare I say a revolutionary one.

I warned you!! Hit next now!!

My holiday is alas, a sadder one. My brother-in-law is now in hospice awaiting the end of is life. We are told that should be a day or two. He is a Vietnam Navy vet whose exposure to a rather famous defoliant has cause him no end of health issues over the span of 50 years. Now in his mid-60s he is finally losing his long running battle.

Hard on his sister, my wife, because she has fought tooth and nail with the VA to get him the benefits a vet deserves.

Sorry for the downer... but a truly great people, treat those that answer the call better than a minimum wage baseball player or basketball player who make a million or more a year.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:22 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I give thanks for a job and a paycheck today. It's my last day of a seven day work week, and it's going to be a long one. Most all of our Gulf of Mexico customers are not planning to fly today, which means I won't have a lot to do except watch youtube videos and peruse forums . Dinner is being catered, but not until 4PM, and I got here at 4:30AM!

I found this gentlemans videos yesterday on youtube. He's in England, where exactly I'm not sure (don't know my geography well enough), but the hill he flies at the most is called 'White Sheet', if that helps. I love 'Scale' and watching some of his videos is really making me want a big scale woodie!

THE FLIGHT OF THE GULL-WINGS.wmv (5 min 52 sec)

Petrel & Minimoa Retrospective... (7 min 52 sec)

I'm salivating!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Happy Turkey Day to my favorite bunch of turkeys! I'll be whipping up dinner Arizona style with some sauteed scorpions, jellied Javalina and cactus salad.. This should be the last year I'm "volunteered" to do the cooking. I'm still trying to figure out how the h that happened!!!

Sorry to hear about your brother in law Jeff. Agent Orange is nasty stuff to say the least and I've known several others that have had life long problems due to exposure to that s. Our government should be ashamed of their lack of help for those suffering from its effects.

AL... Wing arrived intact and I even found the paperwork form Tower Hobby stuck to the bottom of it showing the purchase price for it back when it was first bought back in 92. A whopping $42.95! Soon as I can get through this holiday stuff I'll get a M.O. off to your better half.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
Gobble, gobble to all my woodie friends! I hope the day finds you and yours well and full! I am hosting the Norcal Strahm clan, with a few friends, with no local family, for a deep fried turkey

Jeff, glad the wing got there, it makes me feel good that I was able to pass on a friends plane to another friend!

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,668 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving to you all also! I hope the 'kick backin' is in full bloom!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Gobble gobble back at everyone.

Jeff, so sorry to hear about your Brother-In-Law. Always tough, even worse at the holidays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

An industrious turkey farmer was always experimenting with breeding, his mission was to produce the perfect turkey. His family was fond of the leg portion for dinner and there were never enough legs for everyone.

After many frustrating attempts, the farmer was relating the results of his efforts to his friends at the general store. 'Well I finally did it! I bred a turkey that has six legs!' They all asked the farmer how it tasted.

'I don't know, 'said the farmer, 'I never could catch th' Sumbitch!'
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:18 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I'm up, I'm at-em, and I have a 20 lb gobbler in the fridge prepped and ready for the smoker. It's gonna be a loooong burn for this bird, hope I have enough wood!

Jeff, send a few warm hugs along to your BIL when you can. I've read about that stuff, and Scaf's right -- The gov'mint didn't do snap to help these poor people. It's really sad.

Less talk. More wood.

And turkey.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
After watching those videos, all I can say is, "All I want for Christmas is a slope!"

I love the coast but it's just too flat some days.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:54 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hey Hoss! I've been meaning to send you some pics that will make you drool! I just have to figure out how to get them form my phone to my computer. This area is one slope after another! Most of them are on public (BLM) land and I just have to figure out how to get up to the top of them I'm thinking dirt bike with a plane pack would work great.. If one doesn't face the right way for the current wind direction, then the one a mile or so away will be lined up.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
After watching those videos, all I can say is, "All I want for Christmas is a slope!"

I love the coast but it's just too flat some days.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!
I've always been a flat lander, but I've been in mountainous terrain. And other than the obvious benefits to sailplane flyers, I can do without. It's much quicker getting from point A to point B in a straight line and not having to climb/descend slopes. I recall going to Tempe, AZ, to visit family when I was stationed in Albuquerque, NM, and driving through the mountains. I was very frustrated to look across the valley at the highway on the other side, less than a mile as the crow flies, only to realize I was at that spot over an hour ago!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:43 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Hi Guys

I flew a few times at Mt. Washington N.W. a few miles of the L.A. civic center, great afternoon winds but a terrible landing zone.

You either had a hard pack dirt road with rocks or a hillside with all kind of stuff to tear up your plane.

Those guys across the pond all have great green area's to land on, boy that sure looks good to us that have to land on just plain old dirt and be happy we have a slope at all.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:45 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Progress

Just to make Katie happy (more wood, less talk )

Progress is slow... with all the stuff thats been going on... but here's wood anyway.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:57 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
I actually learned to fly on the slope (the dam in Nashville where Hobby Lobby folks fly) and it was over a year before I caught my first thermal flight on flat land. I gave up the hobby around 1996 and only got back into in 2007 when my young un got sick. I needed balsa therapy to pass the time. I have no problem finding thermals down here, after all, it's where they're made. But I do miss the laid back relaxation of laying on a slope and circling in endless lift, controlling the plane with one finger, chatting with buddies. There's something to be said for no ants too! Ya sit on the ground down here and they try to carry you back to their hole!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,668 Posts
Fun Day here! from 57 degrees to snow in 4 hours- and the wind!----
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Cheers woodie guys, and sheila! Any holiday that involves a great feed and some quality time with family, friends or those you care about, and for appreciating our blessings can only be a good thing, and I wish you all the best.

Cheers GD for the build log progress and your words too, good points.

Now, some of the old timers on this thread may remember what Turkeys represent to me..- Terror! Vengance!! and Pain!!! - go ahead and eat the buggers, I say!

Some pics for laughs.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve