Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Me too , got a lot of learning to do to even get close !!!
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Nice photos Katie. I don't really do any macro photography, but I've learned a trick or two. If you're using a Digital SLR that has Live View (Canon), set the focus on Manual then turn on Live View and digitally zoom in to set your focus. Works great. I've used that technique when shooting photos of a build to ensure clarity. And above all, use a tripod.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,768 Posts
Hi TJ

Does the Nikon D 80 have the ' live view ' feature too?

Thanks, G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:13 PM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Not certain, but Nikon probably has a similar function where rather than looking through the viewfinder, you can use the LCD screen on the back of the camera.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Hey Katie... The cannon PS series are good little point and shoots. I still use a Minolta 35MM (8000i Maxium) and have tons of bells and whistles for it. One thing I love are the lens extension tubes when added to a good macro lens. That will allow you to get killer depth of field even in Macro mode. Another trick I like using for mega close ups is to have a wide angle lens mounted on the body and then couple a telephoto lens to it backwards. It's kind of unwieldy at times but depending on which combo of lenses you use you can get anywhere form 1X to 6X magnification. I've taken pictures of the chips inside a EPROM chip (remember those guys?) and had it take up about half of the frame. I've still got a shelf or two worth of photography books that I'll never get rid of. Most of the other ones I had I passed on to a friends son who was wanting to get into photography with the goal of going to work for National Geographic. He kind of changed his mind when he learned all those folks have to go through when on assignments.

I am planning on upgrading my camera body to a SONY A series as soon as I can since it will allow me to use all of my MInolta glass on them to full advantage. I've got lenses ranging from 22mm WIDE angle up to 1000mm telephoto so you can understand why I don't want to have to replace all of them. I'll still hang onto my film body of course since you can do things with it that no digital will ever be able to do. Between it and my Cokin filter set there's not much I can't do with pictures. I just need to get time to get back into doing them is all.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Nov 11, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
Nice. I especially like the last one.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Good luck, Cap'n!

Sean, did you click the link? The one that takes you to the how-to tip of mine. More pretty pictures there.

My Photobucket user name is tippitytwitchit. Have fun in the sub albums.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Tango, alas, it is far from a DSLR. I don't have any of those options.

Jeff, when I get a digital camera with interchangable lenses, I'll remener that. Good tips!

Gosh, I gotta go dig up that Pentax now. Not many lenses, but enough to keep me happy. I'm happiest with my sliding zoom lens, I forget what focal lengths it is, it's been buried for a while.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:52 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,381 Posts
Thanks Katie!
I got the original E Mail/pdf's of the tool sale! please email me via RCG and I'll link ya up!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:11 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Katie, those are great pics! I have an old Minolta 35mm SLR with portrait, wide angle and telephoto lenses, took fantastic pictures but all worthless now. Weird that cameras came up cause we just orderd our Christmas present Saturday. QVC has the Canon EOS T4i Rebel with 2 lenses and all the extras for $999!! It shoots 5 FPS and also has full 1080i HD video to boot with a micro HDMI output.

It will accept all brands off legacy lenses with the adapters but will probably not have to worry about that. This is the first REAL camera we've got since the late '70s...can't wait to get it!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Nice, Don! Someday, I'll fork it out for a DSLR.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
I'm shooting with a Canon 7D, but I haven't done the upgrade for the firmware which among other things, brings the fps rate up from 7 to 15! Great for action/sports/RC Airplane fly ins that I normally shoot (though I hadn't done any this year - too much work, not enough play).
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
The 7D is extreme! I can't afford that bad boy...daaaaum!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
Fly or Shoot? Both!
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,206 Posts
I considered it an investment, but find it no more expensive than this hobby we call R/C modeling.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:21 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
The one I've got my eye on is the Sony A57 DSLR. This thing will even shoot in infrared mode! Body alone is going to run me close to a $1,500 which is one reason I'm very glad it will be able to use all my lenses. There's no way I could afford to replace all that glass AND get this wonder camera. It's also able to do true 1080p video as well so it's got all the bells and whistles.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock