Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
Wow! You sure your taking Advil!? Maybe you're allergic?
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:47 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,669 Posts
Katie! I'll have to back to (last spring?) or so- anyway, there was a discussion about the PDF and Acrobat10 thingies- gotta search the pics for the short route- what a pain- look back about 12 pics- last weekend, I was messin' with the 'rotten' apple support and preview/pdf problems- they're so stupid they think a desktop is a telephone arrrggghhh! (ugly stupid frustrated face!
(grin) gott abuy a new keyboard too- this number 1 key is drivin' me nutztier than normal!
---edit----
double check the PDF's- they are different now
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: additional info
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:23 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,669 Posts
what a bunch of malarkey!
a pic shows thousands of expletive deletedes!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Nov 05, 2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: PDF Removed
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Jeff,

Are you saying that you have bought the DVDs or are reluctant to because you don't know if they'll help? If you want I'll shoot you a list of the ones I have and if any of them look like useable info I'll mail them to you.

On the Icon throws I'll tell you where I would set them for first flight but this is absolutely SWAG. Should be OK for test flight and seeing where you want to go.

Ail - 1/2" down, 3/4" up
Ele - 3/8" up and down (3/4 total" total)
Rud - 3/4" either way

Set DR to about 60% of the above values on Ail and El.

Flaps: If you're going to mix flaps into aileron go 30%.

All of these are just a starting point. and I've never gotten into trouble at these throws.

Do some hand tosses before you launch to make sure the ele is neutral-ed out. Gentle turns back and forth to see how fast or slow it reacts.

After the first flight and your knees quit knocking you can start fine tuning.

One thing I try to do is have someone with me that can either write notes and comments down I make or has a better memory than I do.

I'll be mumbling things like "WAY too much ele travel", "more diff", CG too far forward" then when I get on the ground I'll forget 90% of it.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,900 Posts
Jeff,

Do you have the Icon manual? I've got it on PDF, PM me your e-mail and I can send it to you.

As far as programming a full house on the SD10G, once again if you've got the manual it's pretty straightforward. I went throught the book and followed the suggestions for channel assignments, etc. It looks complicated in it's entirety, but take it one step at a time. Believe me, if I can do it so can you. Seans suggestions are a great place to start, with this Tx all you really need to know is what you want the plane to do, it's pretty straightforward to make the radio do what you want.

I only had about 6 flights on my Icon before some chucklehead picked up the wrong Tx and shot me down. It took two of us to pull the nosecone out of the cornfield mud. The chucklehead turned out to be a stand up guy. He came over, apologised and gave me a check for the wreckage. Is this a great hobby or what?

Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:37 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Katie-

You be careful trying to bandaid that prop assy and stay behind the motor when you're experimenting. That motor can be replaced but your eyes cannot be.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:35 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Katie-

You be careful trying to bandaid that prop assy and stay behind the motor when you're experimenting. That motor can be replaced but your eyes cannot be.

Don
That'
s why I'm still sitting here on my duff instead of out experimenting. I may be frustrated, but... Yeah, I thought reeaaaaal hard about it last night. I'll be cutting the adapter off, and looking into fixing the shaft.

Cap'n, that last PDF is blank.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:48 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Morning guys,
Just catching up on the thread here. I saw a few pages ago someone mentioned about removing the charred edges from balsa. First balsa should not have a black edge, rather a light brown tea colored edge. you can sand if you want to reomve it but what works well alos is a cloth dampened with acetone. That will remove any loose debris and prep the surface for gluing. I hardly ever sand my edges. Now, Plywood is another story, due to the glues used to make the wood, it generally is a good idea to sand those edges to remove the residue from the glues on mating surfaces. pretty much any plywoods over 1/8" thick are goint to need a touch up from my experience.
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:31 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
Tribal knowledge Sucks!

But I am resilient... I will figure it out. It pisses me off to no end that crap like this is tribal knowledge and you have to be "one of the cool cats" to know. But I may take him up on the money back..
Uhg. I know what you mean there. I fight tribal knowledge at work constantly.

Re RCA videos - I don't have trouble figuring out what to listen to but I do understand your very valid point. I learned a fair amount before I started buying those videos so I had a bit of a leg up. That's how I've been with most O'Reilly books as well so I guess that shouldn't surprise me. If I put on the "newbie" hat then those videos would most definitely be counter-productive. You may drop him a line and see how he responds. Maybe suggest a "Full-House Setup Guide for the Complete Neophyte" kind of thing. Paul seems to be very responsive to customer input.
Lacquerhead is online now Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,669 Posts
Thanks Katie! You confirmed a (very dark humor) question of mine! And of course, no response from adobe- might as well take a drive over to the shop instead of emails etc!
sorting it out mode 2 in process.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Well Howdy David F! Things going well in central Sunshine State? You going to Tangerine week after next? Several of my buds are heading there but alas I'll miss it yet again.

Yep, you are correct sir! I don't recall ever meeting anyone who was not a stand up guy in this hobby. OK, one, and he's a member of this site but I'll drop it here.

I've been really lucky to have never been shot down. Really lucky I guess.

Jeff, take David up on the Icon PDF. That's where the good info will be.

Oh, I looked through my library and I have the RCA Radio clinic DVD. If you want it shoot me a PM with address.

Katie, I know you've been around machine shops and so forth but do heed DonW's words. Your best friend in the world is safety glasses. My eyesight has been saved on several occasions. On at least five of those there is no doubt in my mind I would either be blind or seriously impaired if I had not been wearing them.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,900 Posts
Hey Sean,
The work calendar has killed me this year, I'll be in Cleveland for the first two days of Tangerine, but I'll be there Sunday. Kenny World is a great place to fly.
We held FSS #7 at my home field San Felasco a few weeks ago, first ever TD contest there, and we're starting to get geared up for F3K the 3rd weekend in Feb, our 6th year. Come on down.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:18 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
Hey Sean,
The work calendar has killed me this year, I'll be in Cleveland for the first two days of Tangerine, but I'll be there Sunday. Kenny World is a great place to fly.
We held FSS #7 at my home field San Felasco a few weeks ago, first ever TD contest there, and we're starting to get geared up for F3K the 3rd weekend in Feb, our 6th year. Come on down.
Dave
2012 is out for me totally. 2013 is going to be my year to travel the state. I'll get over your way for something next year. I love DLG but can say with all confidence that I suck compared to you guys. I will try to make it............only if you promise not to laugh too hard!

Actually, I have some killer wings that need a fuse and tail feathers for the coming year. I'll get that sorted out, practice and do my best not to embarrass myself.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speak to all of the regulars. Though I love my woodies, scale and moldies, every one of you need to do some DLG work. Talk about flattening the learning curve on reading air and working lift. I flew for over 30 years before I tried the smaller stuff. I honestly believe I learned more in the last 5 than I did in the last 35. Maybe not much more about anything above 200' but there is a whole new world down between 200 and ground level. Nothing like working an Xplorer out from 10'.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:26 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,665 Posts
You just need more javelin launch time Sean! Overhand throwing will teach you to read low air fast or take up golf! Speakin of which, I've gotta get the Climax back in shape!
I'm on vacation this week and planning on finishing the repairs to the Cumic. Wanna come hang out and supervise?
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:48 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
You just need more javelin launch time Sean! Overhand throwing will teach you to read low air fast or take up golf! Speakin of which, I've gotta get the Climax back in shape!
I'm on vacation this week and planning on finishing the repairs to the Cumic. Wanna come hang out and supervise?
Not all of us can overhand throw a glider like we hate it the way you do Hoss.

Dude, You have GOT to get over here this week. If you'll come this way I'll play hookie from work. Already told the boss I plan on being really, death's door sick some this month due to the awesome weather. Also, I have a killer 60" sitting on the work table with your name on it courtesy of Montey Python Jr. You're gonna love it! Bring the Cumic with you too and we'll either fix it or beat it to death in the man-cave.

Seriously homey, don't make my wife call yours! You know JJ, she can nice Attila the Hun into community servie.