Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:31 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I can remember my FF days and be glad I listened to my mom. "Don't do what your uncles used to do or you'll be in BIG trouble!!!"

My uncles were the ones that got me into building models waaayyy back when. The got me interested by telling me stories of their own model building days. They grew up in Kansas and would spend those long winter nights building up a couple of Guillows style planes each. Soon as the weather allowed, they'd take them out and get them into trim. They'd spend every free moment flying their creations across the fields of Kansas until the weather started to turn cold again in the fall. (Now... This is where my mom took exception with their modeling practices) Soon as the first frost hit, they'd take their models up on top of the barn roof and wind them up for a final flight. They'd then douse the tails with lighter fluid and after lighting them up, send them to the great model scrapyard in the sky. Of course they'd spend the winter building more models only to burn them at the end of the next season.

Now.... Living in S. California, had I done the same thing, I could have started a fire that would have burned all the way to the coast. I think everyone here has heard of the fires out there that seem to happen about every 4-5 years. Well I DIDN'T start any of them!!! I did have one model that I got tired of and wanted to give it a good send off. It was an old Thermic 72 (much larger than anything my uncles built as kids) I launched it for a final flight and didn't put in a section of de-thermalizer fuse. It got caught up in a nice thermal and soon it was out of sight as it headed off to the east across town. I was thinking to myself as I watched it sail away.. "Cool... Now I can build something bigger and better!" Funny thing was that a couple of days later there came a knock at the door and a nice gentleman asked if I was Jeff. After answering that I was, he proceeded to hand me back the Thermic 72!!!! I had forgotten that my name and address was on the model and this guy had found it on the far side of town and brought it back! So much for my excuse to build a new plane.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,101 Posts
I still do a bit of ff now and then. By some miracle, I have a scale rubber model (S-2 racer converted from GAR kit of P-35) that flies well, but which I've had at least 15 years. I've had to chase it pretty far a few times, though.

Caught my first thermal flying an Olympic 650 from a back part of the public golf course in Boston. You'd think I would have caught one with all those Sleek Streeks when I was a kid, but it didn't happen. Catching thermals is like magic at first. It's funny because I've lost a bunch of ff stuff to thermals since then. I lost the 650 for about a week, a month after I got it, because I was too greedy to leave the thermal I was in as it drifted out towards impenetrable wetlands by a river. Fortunately it made it to someone's back yard on the other side. Or at least that's how I remember it now. Still have the poor, abused fuselage.

Before I got the 650 back, I had ordered a kit for a HOB Two Tee, which was the first RC plane I built. Haven't seen one of those for a long time.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:03 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Great stories, guys. If I had a time machine, I know where I would be....
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:00 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
I lost a GL once doing the same thing as Lincoln. Pushed it just a liitttllle too far and it was gone. A day later I got a call from a guy saying he had it. Went to his house and got the story.

He was raking leaves in his front yard and noticed an airplane off in the distance heading his direction. Didn't pay much attention at first but then realized it was losing altitude and the trajectory was directly towards his house. Just about the time he was about to drop the rake and go screaming into the house for everyone to evacuate he got a perspective on it and realized it wasn't FS. It barely cleared the trees across the street from the house, touched down dead center of the driveway and slid into the two car garage coming to rest in front of his deep freezer. Not a scratch on it. Total distance from launch point to landing was about 5 miles.

Keith (the one that tried to kill me with evil high octane beer last weekend) bought a gorgeous Merlyn (yeah DonW, read and weep) that a friend had built. First launch he got all of the trims right. Second launch was in FF mode having not switched on the rx. He said it was the best launch of his life, came off the hook nice and smooth and kept on it's merry way. He and Stan got in the car and chased it till they got to a stream. Before they could cross it the Merlyn was out of sight. A few months later a friend of his mentioned seeing Keith's airplane come over the house and had assumed he was flying at the field near his place. IIRC that guy lived around 12 miles from where Keith launched that day. He didn't get that one back.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Just got a cryptic PM from the Hossmeister: Copied and pasted in it's entirety, and I quote:

Drunk at Pat O'Briens in Nola. Wish yall were here

Knowing how much we all love and respect him I replied, and I think I speak for all of us:

Bite me.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,629 Posts
Let the Hoss know I have socks on, and I'm havin' fun!
kinda like this!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:18 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
I hope no one took my post about Hoss wrong. If anyone needs decompression time it''s him.

Hoss, if you read this I have two statements:

1: Have a blast

2: You were coherent enough to text me. You may have had a few but there is no way you could be real, honest for gosh NOLA sideways or you wouldn't have been able to text me from that cute little iPhone you pack.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:23 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,629 Posts
no offense here! I can relate to stress reduction programming!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Before I got the 650 back, I had ordered a kit for a HOB Two Tee, which was the first RC plane I built. Haven't seen one of those for a long time.
Hey Lincoln, remember the RO-8? Everyone called it the RO-10 (rotTen).

I'd like to build another one of those and see if it was as bad as I remember. The T-tail was some of it. I can't recall what AF it had. Maybe 205?

Sure was fun back then. I remember scratching out another RO-8 fuse and mounting a GL wing on it.

I spent 3 hours in the shop today (played hookie from home remodeling) trying to get those two EP gliders done so I can ship them off to the new owner. Once I get those gone I can get back to building. I'll get that rebuild done on my big baby and then something different is going on the board. Most likely the Oly III. If I do that one I want to go in some interesting direction with it, a plan is forming in my feeble brain.

Jeff the Elder: I feel another late night cell phone brain storming session coming on the ASP but give me till next weekend. I have to pick up some furniture in the morning the better half bought. Turkey Day will be here soon and heaven forbid we don't have seating for 300, in a house that should be limited by state fire codes to 10.

Hint on ASP: Fuselage construction.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:25 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi Sean

The Two T was designed and built by Gene Wallok in Azusa CA.who built Ed Slobods kits like the Paragon etc.

My first scratch built was a 2 M using that kit for the wing, that i made into a 4 panel poly style because Gene used a 3/8" arrow shaft for the L.E. it was good on a rough slope landing area and did not get all dinged up like the balsa L.E.does.

I think the flat bottom airfoil was the same as the Paragon, so it flew very well like its big brother.

Since it was landing on dirt i made a recess area for the tow hook so it did not bump along on the hook and bounce the plane on each landing.

Gene did a great job building kits as the ribs were stack sanded and all the parts fit very good too.

R.I.P. guys sure miss ya !!

Dick Odle who made the RO 8 was also in the Silent Flyers club, fun days

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:01 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Sean

The Two T was designed and built by Gene Wallok in Azusa CA.who built Ed Slobods kits like the Paragon etc.

My first scratch built was a 2 M using that kit for the wing, that i made into a 4 panel poly style because Gene used a 3/8" arrow shaft for the L.E. it was good on a rough slope landing area and did not get all dinged up like the balsa L.E.does.

I think the flat bottom airfoil was the same as the Paragon, so it flew very well like its big brother.

Since it was landing on dirt i made a recess area for the tow hook so it did not bump along on the hook and bounce the plane on each landing.

Gene did a great job building kits as the ribs were stack sanded and all the parts fit very good too.

R.I.P. guys sure miss ya !!

Dick Odle who made the RO 8 was also in the Silent Flyers club, fun days

G Don
GDon, I cannot express the gratefulness I and everyone else on here has for you filling in these bits of history.

Yep, we've lost some fantastic people down through the years and will continue to do so. I have sort of a memorial on the first wall you see when you walk into my man-cave. Photos of me and my mentors together that I will cherish to my dying breath. I'm really trying not to descend into despair when I look at those pics. Happier, simpler times.

I'll announce it when it happens but a very influential glider guy that lives about 6 miles from me, is nationally known and was a major influence on this hobby probably won't make it till the new year. That is why I am so dead set on bringing my crew (grandsons and grand daughter that is way cool) up with the absolute basics on building, trimming and understanding of what makes a good sailplane. I'm willing to bet at least one (probably Juliet, my grand daughter, major cutie, future NRA marksmanship expert and woodie sailplane guru) will continue the tradition. I'm gonna fill their awesome little heads with as much history, facts and angles as I can before I leave this place.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:54 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
HEHEHEHE G. Don I've still got a 2-T in the hanger and I love that little plane! That arrow shaft LE is tough as nails and will take a LOT of abuse. I was doing some flying at a high school football field and decided to try to split the goal posts. I was a little off and clipped it with the wing on the 2-T. It shook it off as far as the wing hit went but cracked the fuselage when it cartwheeled in. After that I reinforce the fuselage on them with some carbon since that's the weak spot in that design.

Sean: No hurry on the ASP talk. You thinking what I'm thinking here and taking it to a Pod N Boom configuration? That would sure make fabrication a lot easier to say the least. Call me anytime but remember the time diff and make sure I've had my coffee fix at least.

Hoss: You had better have had one for me as well as each of the "Brewers" while you were out! Just remember that the best way to tell that you're drunk is when you go to brush something off your shoulder and you find out it's the floor!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:54 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Ed used to tell me about Gene's shop so one day i rode along with him when he was going out to pick up some kits, boy what a neat shop Gene had!!

He made his own Balsa dust evac system and had a collector pick up at each machine in the shop, and it was dust free 24 - 7 i was really impressed.

I know now everything is laser cut , but i don't like looking at those burnt brown edges just does not look good.

So i will continue to stack sand my ribs just like i was taught to by Ed and the club guys in the 80's

Course this new Primary Glider will have the ribs made up Warren Truss style with just about 40 pcs in each rib, just getting the cad info now for my top bow steaming & rib gluing fixture's.

I'am looking into a knife style paper cutting machine for cutting the little 1/ 64" ply gussets, cut strips first then the different sizes and angles needed.

Will build 20 full & 20 half ribs so that will me busy for a bit of time.

You know Sean i was so lucky to have landed in a club with so much talent like

Ed Slobod Paragon etc
Blane Rawdon Mirage
Dick Odle RO 8
Bill Watson Goose
Mike Bame Airfoils

Plus about 20 scratch builders that were doing thier thing with new planes all the time, so i just took to this new hobby for me like a duck to water with all the talent to learn from.

I'am glad to pass along tid bits of the stuff that we did in those neat times for sailplanes.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:28 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,629 Posts
Phase one done

OK Gang! here ya go have a party on me
I figured i wouldn't expound on the tips, as there as many 'arguments' as opinions on them.
Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:37 AM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Just Venting

Last night, and I have no idea how, I pulled some tendon in the back of my leg. Barely able to walk this morning, and hobbling around means I did not make it out to SULA to see if I could find a friend to help me setup the Icon. Not to mention not getting to fly anything.

I been a software pro for 30+ years and programming a radio is no big deal. The big deal is
A) How much should things move? Differential, flaps, crow, camber, Flapreons, reflex, Ru->Ail, Flap-Elev, lions tigers and bears... Oh my! and
B) how each setting and mix interact with the settings and mixes already setup!

I guess I'll try and salvage the day by working on the Icon setup myself (using readings on the net and the Radio Carbon Art DVD) and get cracking on the other wing of the Big Bird XL.

I am going to leave all the top sheeting off until I can place the wing joiner tubing in as I'll need to get that nice and level between both wings.

Looks like my new employer shuts down for a couple week at the holidays (paid too!). So I'll have plenty of quality time in the shop. Hope by then I have the wings all done and am on to the fuse. Not sure I need to repeat the wing build pictures as it's just the 'other side'.

Thanks for the vent...
Jeff
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01