Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:17 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
LOl The reason for that is easy to explain Sean. It was the black covering material. It warmed up the air inside the model and lowered the wing loading due to extra lift form the warm air trying to rise!!! ...well it SOUNDS like a plausible explanation at least.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:17 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
I remember my first as well, Sean, very similar situation with my Spirit 2m. It was in October as I remember, cool in the morning and warming fast. The breeze was from the northwest and I could see gulls from Lake Lewisville way up high. I cruised over and hung with them for 53 minutes....I'll never forget it....ever.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:19 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
LOl The reason for that is easy to explain Sean. It was the black covering material. It warmed up the air inside the model and lowered the wing loading due to extra lift form the warm air trying to rise!!! ...well it SOUNDS like a plausible explanation at least.
Gasbag-o-Rama

Sorry, that rhymes with you know.....well...nevermind
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:33 PM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Sounds like a mythbusters episode!
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:54 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
They did that with helium in a football.

My longest thermal flight to date was 36 minutes. It was the first flight of the day, and I was getting ready for another day of landing practices, as per usual. Boy, was I surprised, when I kept on going, riding out each bubble from a nice house thermal. The timing between cycles was perfect.

I gotta do it again! Longer! Higher!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:23 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
They did that with helium in a football.

My longest thermal flight to date was 36 minutes. It was the first flight of the day, and I was getting ready for another day of landing practices, as per usual. Boy, was I surprised, when I kept on going, riding out each bubble from a nice house thermal. The timing between cycles was perfect.

I gotta do it again! Longer! Higher!
Kinda like a drug addiction. Next one is never enough.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:38 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,673 Posts
Thanks for fond memories gang! I Remember my first thermal- not recognizing them with my first bird- a Butterfly 2- anyway, a 2X6- and nowadays, I like the fuse structure it had(s), not knowing a lot of structures! anyhows, after lots of short highstart launches, getting anything over 2 minutes was a feat- with a wrist watch of course- so those could have been 7 minute flights
I got to a legitimate 10 minutes, and I was Wayyyyy up there- probably 600 ft realistically, but it was for sure the highest and longest I had- that was the Fall of '83 and thennnn---
Iask a question like: could you computer gurus tell me how old DOS 3.3 is? we were having a bit of a time loading a disk into the 1973 machine, and something called a BIOS was telling the controls there was no disk-
Remember OddBall in Kelly's Heroes, he's kickin' back with the wine bottle and cheese and crackers (i think) Clint Eastwood asks him why he's not helping fix the busted tank, and the reply:
" ahh ya knowww, I just drive 'em I don't know how to fix em!" I love that
I've only had 4 crashes, found a cover surface was corrupted over .000001"- yeah I have to reset sumthin' there- but anyway, I'm about to rotate the ribs to flat plane for laser files.
These will be public, but I'm wonderin' before I subtract all the data stuff, is there any rib /wing size other than 2 meter/9" root rib that you folks would be interested in- remember now- I'm setting up for Spruce or (Bassackwards) spars- tapered- yep you get to do that part!?
here's my latest spar side- you guys can handle it- no carbon needed!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:03 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Katie, I think you should use basswood spars, and design it for acrobatics. Then you can honestly say "It's flying bass ac-wards!"
OK, that got a giggle.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:07 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
DOS 3.3? WOW!!! I hadn't thought about that since like forever. If memory serves me right (4 meg RAM) it came out about the same time as Windows 3.11. (Remember having to load it off of 16 floppy disks guys?) Anyway I think it was back in the early 80s or so Johnny.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:35 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,673 Posts
OK Thanks Jeff! There are 115 revisions/upgrades of the Millttronics software from our machine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:02 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
All I can tell you Cp'n is that BIOS stands for 'basic input outpout system'. outside of that I'm a 'computer language for dummies' kinda person- would have failed my Uni computer courses if not for those books..

Don and Sean, your words are a perfect summary of why we are here; the mystical love of stuff that flies, whatever its form . perfect.

I think what was so exciting about FF as a kid was the adventure factor; where is the little plane going to end up next? and what will it lead to, what adventure could come from it. Back then when the world was new just getting a rubber powered or glider from off someones roof, either by stealth, or by knocking on their door, was exciting, you never knew who you might meet or where. Even climbing the trees to retrieve them was an adventure. Just launching that glider or plane and knowing that what happened next was all left to fate and the mysterious nature of the skies was a big part of the attraction.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Nov 03, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:43 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Hi Wylie,, and...

Katie! math! I remember that, sort of. What can we help with?
Steve Hi Matie, Still alive n kickin, The oly suffered (blasémy!!!!!) a fishing box wuz dropped on me vertical fin.needless to say it didn't t win. Currently making another one,I'll get this bugger in the air yet!!!!!!!! Yep I'm back in my birth state of Texas in Juan Seguin town. Built me a hooch a work in progress but since I don't have anything better to do keeps me busy,since I retired and moved here to help take care of me brother.

Wylie. -- AKA Willie e Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:10 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,673 Posts
Thanks Steve! cool-40 degrees day -perfect for building etc Hiya Wylie! wanna canardafy the Oly? Nyuck nyuck
later-Johnny
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey Wylie if I remember you were about the busiest bugger on your side of the world a while back. The retirement projects sound good and that's a noble thing to help your family out. Fingers crossed for you mate to have more time in future with the hobby and enjoy the good life, as they says.

All the best mate.

Canardly OlyIII hey Cap'n, you know, that could work really well! -Steve, who has never built or flown an unpowered Canard woody glider, but how could it not be good?.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
All I can tell you Cp'n is that BIOS stands for 'basic input outpout system'. outside of that I'm a 'computer language for dummies' kinda person- would have failed my Uni computer courses if not for those books..

Don and Sean, your words are a perfect summary of why we are here; the mystical love of stuff that flies, whatever its form . perfect.

I think what was so exciting about FF as a kid was the adventure factor; where is the little plane going to end up next? and what will it lead to, what adventure could come from it. Back then when the world was new just getting a rubber powered or glider from off someones roof, either by stealth, or by knocking on their door, was exciting, you never knew who you might meet or where. Even climbing the trees to retrieve them was an adventure. Just launching that glider or plane and knowing that what happened next was all left to fate and the mysterious nature of the skies was a big part of the attraction.
You are so right about the FF stuff Steve. As a kid, when I released my rubber powered planes my heart was racing because of the unknown landing location.

I remember when I was in my late teens, my nephew was given a FF glider. He built it and covered it with tissue/dope with the help of my brother. We went to a local park (this was in London) to fly it. It would climb, come off the tow line and come back down. No real time in the air. My father, who lived and breathed flying (WWI and WWII pilot) walked over and did something to it (that we didn't see). We launched again and that glider went up and was never seen again.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit