Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
They are similar. In fact, it was the Fournier that I saw.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
I'm not too good on motorglider ID. We have two FS G-109s at work, I had a AS-K14 kit, picked up a crashed Typhun one time and did own a kit of a Fournier a few years ago. That's about it.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
Do you have the ability to cut foam cores? If so, hook a brother up! If you can copy parts or plans, I want them! I'd prefer to have it sooner than a whole lot later, as in, I'd like to have a flyable tug by springtime, just in time for the new season. Once I hear back from Asher, I'll get all the input I can from him on what to improve/modify. I think I'd be happy with just 80cc's.
Coincidentally I gave away my cutting bow last week in a fit of shop cleaning. Really didn't plan on doing it any more but I'm pretty sure I can get some cores done locally.

80CCs is probably all around ideal. The bigger stuff is for really large and heavy sailplanes and you probably wouldn't run into them too much.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I'd really, really appreciate it.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
Hey guys and gals, if you look back at the last photos of the wing of the BB-XL this question will make better sense... I think?

Question:

So the right wing is ready to unpin. Next it would have me trim the lower sheeting. How the heck am I gonna keep that edge straight with nothing but the front of the ribs?? It would have me trim the lower front sheeting, install the top back sheeting, install the top front sheeting, trim that, THEN install the leading edge and shape it? Sounds like a recipe for sheeting that does not mate well with the leading edge...

Does the question make sense?

I would think I should try to install the leading edge stock and then the top sheeting, then sand the L.E. and the top and bottom sheeting as a unit until it fits the correct shape... oui? No?
Jeff,

Not sure I'm following this but I'll try. I am not familiar with the BBXL construction method but I think you're saying that you're supposed to trim the lower and upper LE sheeting flush to the nose ribs and then install the LE stock? And that concerns you because you think there won't be an even, tight mating joint between the sheeting and LE?

If (big IF) I am visualizing the build sequence and construction details right and it's the same as I've done before you can:

A: sand as necessary the rib noses until you have a dead straight line, attach LE, then carefully fit front sheeting by trial fit and sand till it's perfect.

B: You can also use a different LE stock if needed that is slightly thicker than the unsheeted nose ribs and wider than the airfoil LE should be when finish shaped. Butt glue them to the rib noses and CAREFULLY sand to continue the curvature of the rib top and bottom to match the rib nose, then oversheet and sand/blend the sheeting into the profile.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:29 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
Hi Jeff & Sean

I use a 1/8" thick false L.E. glued to the front of the ribs, then put on your sheeting then sand the sheeting back to the 1/8" balsa checking for square and straight.

Then glue on your real L.E. stock and shape it , that way you have plenty of material to glue each item to one step at a time.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Jeff & Sean

I use a 1/8" thick false L.E. glued to the front of the ribs, then put on your sheeting then sand the sheeting back to the 1/8" balsa checking for square and straight.

Then glue on your real L.E. stock and shape it , that way you have plenty of material to glue each item to one step at a time.

G Don
You da man Gdon! I hadn't thought of doing it that way before but will do it next time.

I love this thread.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:09 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus View Post
Anybody building 1/4 or 1/3 scale sailboats?
How about a 1/3 scale USS Constitution? Hull length works out to only somewhere just shy of 70'.

You gotta admit that would be some kind of awesome.

Seriously, the boats the guys I met had were way cool.

In my next life, the one where I'm rich as Bill Gates, dashingly handsome and more talented than da Vinci I would love to tackle some scale subjects that were out of the ordinary. How about a 1/4 scale Abrams tank? Small enough to maneuver around town but still intimidating so as to get the good parking spots at Walmart. Or a 1/3 scale Trident Nuke sub? Talk about preferential treatment at the yacht club! "Your reserved table on the veranda is ready Mr. Seanpcola, will all 12 of your super model girlfriends be seated this evening?".
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:13 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,590 Posts
Robby (and all) 940 miles wide, storm center to be on Saturday? WoW
I hope you have LOTS of juice to drink!
I couldn't open the Crimson DXF, so now the Tiger is home (storage) ahh- the life cycle of a meg!
That would be aluminum- 6061 @ 300 " /minute
BTW, while wishing away this storm, I was always wonderin' when a fella deletes sumthin' out of the computer, you hear the fans kick in, cooling things, experts say you can still pull data out of a computer- does it turn into heat, or get reconfigured into molecules makin' their way to unobtainium, or what? boring folks need to know- NOW!
The reasons I have, is i'm a by product of my environment!
Need Balsa- seeya
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
copy that G-don, that how to get the perfect mate between leading edge and sheeting. I like to run a 1/16 false leading edge but same same.... some photo's to help explain things.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Robby (and all) 940 miles wide, storm center to be on Saturday? WoW
I hope you have LOTS of juice to drink!

Hey it might not be to late to stock up on some last minute essentials, our good woody man Sean put me onto this big retailer mob recently and if it can benefit Robby in any way then I would feel better.
And seriously, how can any man live without a laser guided paint brush, tell me that...

Ps; thanks Sean, I am still nearly kacking myself with convulsions thrown in for good measure..
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:31 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Jeff & Sean

G Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Jeff,

If (big IF) I am visualizing the build sequence and construction details right and it's the same as I've done before you can:

A: sand as necessary the rib noses until you have a dead straight line, attach LE, then carefully fit front sheeting by trial fit and sand till it's perfect.

B: You can also use a different LE stock if needed that is slightly thicker than the unsheeted nose ribs and wider than the airfoil LE should be when finish shaped. Butt glue them to the rib noses and CAREFULLY sand to continue the curvature of the rib top and bottom to match the rib nose, then oversheet and sand/blend the sheeting into the profile.
I was beginning to think y'all didn't <3 me because my posts dried up (working will do that, I told ya ). Thanks! Let me look into this. The front bottom sheeting is already on so I have to do whatever I do with that in mind. But I like the idea of getting a nice straight 'false' leading edge, get everything sanded and straight to it, and then glue on the real thing and shape! That sounds like a great plan!!

As long as I get the airfoil correct and make both the same way (to get the mass close on both wings), I should be golden.

Like Ray says, may ways to make a woodie.

Cheers!!!!
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
copy that G-don, that how to get the perfect mate between leading edge and sheeting. I like to run a 1/16 false leading edge but same same.... some photo's to help explain things.
You DO HAVAWDY.
Thank you! I see the way...
My only compication is the bottom sheeting is already on and lifted up to the rib's fronts. So it's making an upwards angle to the front of the ribs. But hey, its balsa.

Thanks again!
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Hey it might not be to late to stock up on some last minute essentials, our good woody man Sean put me onto this big retailer mob recently and if it can benefit Robby in any way then I would feel better.

Ps; thanks Sean, I am still nearly kacking myself with convulsions thrown in for good measure..
Yeah Steve, that was the best email I've had in a while. I sent it to my dad and he's still commenting on it. It ties right in with his curmudgeonly poor attitude with Harbor Freight. We visit there about once a month and he goes down each aisle, stops and points at something and says "what kind of dysfunctional moron would even conceive of such utter bull?". In a very loud voice.

In fact that is the one plus I see in making it to the big 80. You can go in public and actually utter what's really on your mind with no recourse.

And my pop does just that.

I'm gonna print out the ad for the Meglinating Variable Intensity Multifunction Power Tool and leave it inconspicuously laying around the house as a hint to the wife for my Christmas present. I know the manager at our local HFT and hopefully he'll use the in-store security camera to record for posterity my wife walking in with that ad, asking if they're in stock and the hilarity that will ensue at the divorce proceedings.

I'm just that kind of loving, nurturing and considerate husband. You know, the kind that will bend over backwards to totally humiliate his better half in a store full of Do-it-yourself'ers. .

Bet the joke will be on me when she instead buys the 6" Whale gutting knife for her own little stocking stuffer.

Edit: The 16 ton hydraulic nail unbender might be kind of cool though.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:06 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,946 Posts
In the mid 80's the club guys wanted to get into the World Champs and needed a very strong wing, so Mike Bame drew up a few airfoils with a 10" cord by 1 1/2" thick.

Nice thick center joiner and spar with D tube sheeting, his first design used a square turned sideways for diamond shaped L.E. sticking up 1/16" above the rib. Then butt glue the sheeting to it and sand in your L.E. shape.

So i scratched a 100" 4 panel poly wing on a round glass fuse, that came out pretty neat but the sheeting would come un glued from the L.E. because of such little gluing area after sanding.

When the sheeting comes loose after the monokote is on, it makes for a bad day i'am here to tell ya.

So Ed Slobod and i were brain storming the deal because Ed was using the same wing in his new plane he was prototyping at the time.

And we came up with the false L.E. and it works great, and i think Ed put that design into his Gemini MTS kits too.

Sailplane history lesson 101

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don