Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 06, 2009, 01:27 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundyglida
I have also decided to build a 'Woodie'....I am having it CNC cut now by one of the guy's in the club
What do you think?
It's a German vintage glider called the Fafnir,
mine once completed (some time in the distant future) will have a 5.5m wingspan

So, you can't just leave us with that tiny smidgen of info, surely you can tell us more, surely!!!!!!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2009, 06:36 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,912 Posts
bundy, please do a build on the Fafnir when you get it. That is one of my favorite scale subjects.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:34 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,505 Posts
Okay, where are you guys getting your balsa? Not the LHS
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:13 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Kind of depends on how badly I need it at the time. Regular LHS is 50 miles away form me but I've got a Michales and a Hobby Lobby (The crafts one) here in town. Regretfully they don't carry aileron stock so I have to make the 50 mile trip. If I have to order it in I usually go through Balsa USA but may be giving Lone Star Balsa a try now that they're back up and running again. I try to avoid mail/web ordering wood as I like to see what i'm getting before I pay for it. Makes it easier to control quality.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 06, 2009, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Don't worry, I most certainly will be doing a building thread. The ribs are being cut out this weekend on my friends CNC.
I will be a very long and drawn out build....but it will get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
bundy, please do a build on the Fafnir when you get it. That is one of my favorite scale subjects.
bundyglida is offline Find More Posts by bundyglida
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:36 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Hey Bundy, What's the span on that one?

Jeff
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Should be in the region of 5.5m, give or take due to plans being re-drawn on CAD for CNC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Hey Bundy, What's the span on that one?

Jeff
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:57 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Hey Dale, more questions... Plan? Airfoil?
Mine was a challenge to fly on account of its small 2.5m size and (I think) scale airfoil.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
plan..free off internet somewhere, google seach will find it
airfoil...? fafnir (scale) I guess, looks interesting though
and I'm still in amazment you hadone and sold it
I'm going flying tommorow, the evo is set up better now with speed and thermal modes.....gunna see how fast it really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Hey Dale, more questions... Plan? Airfoil?
Mine was a challenge to fly on account of its small 2.5m size and (I think) scale airfoil.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2008
148 Posts
Steve, have a look at the slope forum...Australia slope fest, Manilla, I'm thinking of going wanna come?
Looks like it could be a cool event
Dale
Old Feb 06, 2009, 09:49 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
Dale, i'd love to go to Manilla of course, and down to Camperdown for the slope mecca earlier, I have enough slope foamies and mouldies to take for the both of us! But like Armidale these events are a little to far away at present for me due to work and spending constraints, its p'ing me off but thats the way it is for a while. I'm lucky I have Goodwood not very far away, thats been my holiday of late.

Won't be up tomorow, still waiting for Oly parts. Yeah I actually gave the fafnir to a mate of mine back in highschool, he totalled it on a launch. It looked fantastic but had wash issues which weren't helped by the wing section, it was overweight from birth too. I was pleased to see the back of it in truth but thats not to knock the fafnir, just that scratch build of it.
See ya soon.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 02:40 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,866 Posts
To the O3 wing builders out there; looking into my repairs this afternoon and finding further wear and a difficult RHW rod fit into the little ali tube, I just want to reiterate something about the OlyIII wing build to save you this one problem I have had. Its the only criticism i have of the whole kit, and i hope it will be seen as only constructive and well worthwhile.

Please replace the rear wing little aluminium joiner tube with the equivelant diameter brass pipe, the future will thank you for it. Again, I hope Ray understands the nature of my words, which aren't in negative criticism. BTW I'm pretty careful with how i handle the wings and fuse during assembly and pull down at the fields.
Steve.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:32 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
A quickie post

atmos - Thanks for confirming the drift in my thoughts. I was thinking about replacing the aluminum with brass tubing on the alignment pin. It's a go now.

Got to the point of gluing the W1 Ply brace today, didn't realize I would run out of appropriately sized clamps. You can never have too many clamps of all sizes so when the better half had to run to the Valley I said " Hey, I'll go with you!!"

Winter is arriving, AGAIN, or, FINALLY, so the glue is starting to slow down again. Nevertheless, I will probably be able to make some progress tomorrow when the More Important Half goes off to work tomorrow morning.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,676 Posts
Balsa wisdom

Good wood is where you find it. I always had good luck finding good wood at Lone Star Balsa, but I was there picking it out. Since I have to go to the DFW area from time to time, I am sure hoping they come back as strong as a balsa supplier as they were in the past. Somehow, it just works that you can find what you're looking for when you have 150 sheets to look through. I bought 4 sheets of reasonably good 1/16 X 4 X 48 at a local hobby shop for about 16 bucks. I went to Lone Star and bought 20 sheets of pristine wood, same size, for 19 bucks. Unfortunately, I'm at the end of that supply... I did find a pair of matching 1/16 X 6 X 36 sheets, not jointed, at Hobby Lobby. They were excellent, but cost $4.99 each... ouch... Regardless of where I am, I always look at the wood. I know my common sizes, and buy the best I can find, even if I don't need it right then. I usually have what I need for a build, but I sure need to get my supply built back up.

Jack
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I feel soooo much better now!!!

Well guys, It was a pretty good day at the Hodges field today! I got a full day of "Thermal Therapy" in and pretty much had a blast. Well worth the getting up early and making the drive, even if there wasn't much lift today. Even with the lack of lift I managed to scratch out a couple of 5+ minute flights with the GL.

I also maidened the Riser 100 and it would have done a lot better if the lift had been there. Went up the line straight as an arrow and handled very smoothly. I feel it would have done much better if I had left out the spoilers and the servo for them. But I know I'll need them when the lift picks up so I'm not going to whine too much about the weight. At least I know it will fly smooth when the lift picks up.

The one bad part of the day happend while I was working on the "Thermal Thing" getting it ready to go. I had everything done on it with the exception of installing a switch for the Rx power. I picked one up at the shop (handy have a full shop at the flying field ) and set to installing it. I had just finished up and was reaching for the wing to mount in onto the fuselage when a strong gust of wind grabbed it and threw it into the leg of the next table over. The right wing popped at the poly joint. So it's going to have to be repaired before it even gets its maiden flight. (There's just something WRONG with that!! ) At least it's a HL and I can just go to the local park to fly it.

HodgeHound (Richard) was also out today and had his Gambler DLG and a "Slimer Lady". (GL with a .061 glow engine) He also had a model that he wanted me to ID for him. It turned out to be a Windfree that someone had hacked the nose block off of and mounted up a slimer engine to it. It's in need of some work and I tried to convince him to put the nose block back and tow hook back on and return it to being a pure glider. Richard was supposed to bring his digital camera but forgot it. I did bring my film camera but will have to get the pics developed before I can scan them for posting. One roll was KodaChrome so it's going to have to go to Kodak for processing and I'll have to find a place to scan them for me as my scanner won't do slides.

All in all it was a great day of friends and flying with the exception of the damage to the "Thing" before its maiden. The field at Hodges is used by just about every kind of plane and Heli you can think of. We even had a full scale land there today and the pilot took out his planes and did some R/C flying. Go figure....

Jeff