Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Sounds like a plan then guys. But Darth has to leave the light saber at home!

The reason I want to go the Lone Star instead of just ordering via web/mail is simple. I'm VERY picky about the wood I use. Be it for a plane of some exotic wood for another woodworking project I want to see it first instead of having some warehouse dweeb just grab some up and ship it out. Grain is an important part of my choice when getting exotics and we all pretty much know how important selecting the right woods for our planes is.

There is a place in Carlsbad, Calif called "Tropical Hardwoods of Latin America" that is a great place to get exotic woods. This guy goes down into Central and South America and ships back whole logs to his shop where they're cut into just about any size you could need. He even will cut custom sizes if your pockets are deep enough. I was glad that it was an easy drive for me to get there when I lived in San Diego. I was like a kid in a candy store every time I went in.The more I looked through the woods, the more ideas I would come up with for projects. They even carry balsa in thicknesses perfect for carving out old school balsa core surfboards! If I wanted to take the time to re-saw and sand it down, I could save a ton of money. over the cost of buying it already done. But that would take time as well as require equipment that I'd have to buy to go that route. I'd rather drive out to LSB, see you guys and come back with a truck full of wood so I can dive right back into building. Considering that I'm going to be buying a couple thousand worth of wood, I'd imaging that they'd be willing to open up the shop for me on a Saturday.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
I have decided that 1400AGL is plenty high enough for a 2M ship with my eyeballs. It seems I couldn't miss lift today even when I tried to. Taking 6 oz off of the AUW certainly doesn't hurt!
Great report!!! Leep em coming. Sounds like a fun time was had be all. I was out north of Edwards AFB punching holes in a perfect sky with some H and I impulse rockets.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Let me tell you a little tale here Hossman....
Yeah Rush was played a LOT in the barracks when I was in the USAF in the late 70's. Seems like they were a perfect band for all the audiophile equipment were would but and the BX.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
Yeah Rush was played a LOT in the barracks when I was in the USAF in the late 70's. Seems like they were a perfect band for all the audiophile equipment were would but and the BX.
LOL I remember those days well. Between Rush, Yes, Blue Oyster Cult, Emerson Lake and Palmer etc our barracks was ALWAYS rocking! Our C.O. even had a speaker system that he mounted on his command track that he'd crank up out in the field. Needless to say, we had a cool C.O. I was sorry to see him go when he ended up getting transferred out to a new assignment.

Between sound gear, Guitars and buying guns through the Rod and Gun Club I ws pretty much always broke. Still I had a lot of toys when I got out.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,283 Posts
The weather is B-E-A-freaking-utiful today-- perfect for soaring. Too bad we had to leave rigt after the contest. I had to come down five minutes into a fun flight. I could have been up for ages! Lots of maxes, and I was having a ball trying to sniff out lift, and doing a good job of it, for once. Being back at our regular field is a plus.

I got somewhere around 95% of perfect, and took first in the 2m woodie class. Not bad! Randy took second, sharing my purple Gentle Lady. I love that plane!

I GOTTA finish that BoT! And save up for a #%@&$%€.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:24 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,500 Posts
I decided to fix the foil a tad, and am having a bit of a 'normal' spot!
I bet the computer pros can have a laugh!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:08 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
In the early 90's the barracks were a constant audio battle between Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Country, and the new stuff at that time like Boys II Men and Vanilla Ice. Yuck! >.< I'll stick to the Classic Rock and 80's music (with a little Country every now and then).
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:55 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,500 Posts
As a rocker, I gotta admit "Earl has got to die" is a very kool song!
Just like men @ Work, and singin' about a vegimite sandwinch!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Looking at the wing as it sits...

Hey guys and gals, if you look back at the last photos of the wing of the BB-XL this question will make better sense... I think?

Question:

So the right wing is ready to unpin. Next it would have me trim the lower sheeting. How the heck am I gonna keep that edge straight with nothing but the front of the ribs?? It would have me trim the lower front sheeting, install the top back sheeting, install the top front sheeting, trim that, THEN install the leading edge and shape it? Sounds like a recipe for sheeting that does not mate well with the leading edge...

Does the question make sense?

I would think I should try to install the leading edge stock and then the top sheeting, then sand the L.E. and the top and bottom sheeting as a unit until it fits the correct shape... oui? No?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:53 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
I have returned (in best MacArthur voice).

As usual, miss a day or two and you're waaayyyy behind the curve.

First, I had an awesome weekend. Didn't fly, didn't care. I got there, had to say hi, take pictures (Yep I DID!, to follow tomorrow), BS a lot and look at everyone's new toys. Just as I walked back to the truck to open the carrying case the wind picked way up and the temperature fell through the bottom. Oh well, we still had a great time. Keith showed up a few hours later having driven through the stuff that hit us.

Later on we hit a restaurant, then back to the motel to talk models. Of course, in Keith and Jeff K's relentless pursuit to drag me kicking and screaming into the world of "real beer instead of that watered down horse p I drink" (their words) I was forced to drink some concoction that Keith brought with him. Not only was it the color of coffee and tasted like a cross between sour milk and gasoline but he refused to let me chill it below room temperature. IOWs I had to imbibe in a proper British manner. Add to that the can size is about the same volume as the Family Size Green beans at Costco or Sam's Club. Oh, and "by volume" alcohol content is around 4 times what my cherished Corona packs.

So:

First sip - This stuff sucks
Second - I'll choke it down to keep Keith happy
Third - I can do this, he'll be pleased and the alcohol is numbing my taste buds
Fourth - I think my tongue is permanently damaged
Fifth - You know, this stuff ain't half bad
Sixth - Kinda refreshing in an odd way I think I can get through this
Last sip from first can - Throw me another bucket of that Limey brewski Brit boy, I'll have another.

Later, when I finally found my motel room Jeff calls and we talked and talked an talked. I don't know if we said goodbye and hung up or I just passed out. Saturday morning I woke up in bed with my cell phone and starving for breakfast.

Note to Jeff: Please disregard any info, advice or specifications, dimensions, ratios or measurements expressed as percentages. All data should be considered null and void due to my being anesthetized by English hops and barley.

Saturday was cold and windy but a few guys braved it and I had a great time. Got an Ernie burger and Ernie cobbler (trust me, they're amazing) for lunch so I was happy as a kid on Christmas. When we finally left the field that evening neither of us had any feeling in our extremities. Living with high temps/high humidity 51 weeks of the year and then getting shocked into wet 30 degree wind chill factor all day does NOT do a body good. So, we went to Walmart to buy long johns.

Note to self: DO NOT take a British subject with a heavy Londoner accent into a Walmart in the middle of Alabama on a Saturday night. Confusion and chaos ensued. I'll tell the story someday but there was one backwoods chick that decided she needs a man in her life and Keith filled the bill just fine. Might have been an epic score except she was 4' tall, 5' wide and wreaked "trailer trash" from every pore.

Then we met the whole aerotow gang at Caraba's and everything went downhill from there. I think we're now on the USRA (United States Restaurant Association) "No Seat" list and are permanently banned from ever entering anything nicer than a Waffle House for the rest of our lives.

Edit: Will continue after I watch tonight's episode of Walking Dead.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Sounds like you were drinking a Murphy's Irish Stout. Not bad, but not my favorite. If you can find it on tap, Buffalo Sweat is better IMO. Looking forward to the photos.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
DVR'ed Walking Dead.

Music: I'm probably more in tune with Tim (Laquerhead). I loves me some Primus. I love all music but I bounce around. When I'm in the shop or doing the house remodel it's all Blues, all the time. Driving I'm more into Grunge/90's alternate. I also crave extreme metal a lot. Too many genres and bands to even mention.

My poor wife, she's an Okie cowgirl and thinks that if it ain't Country it ain't music. That's fine. When we drive somewhere together I can.........stomach her music choices and some of it is actually OK. As the perfect wife she is she knows that when I bust off the tunes it's just best to let me run with it. One time we tried to discuss my tastes and she said she didn't understand it. I told her she never would. We have an agreement. When Sean cranks the tunes she goes shopping, visiting or to bed.

When I'm in a real music mood I'm hard to satisfy. I like it loud and proud. Rush, BOC and the like had it's place at one time in my life and that time will come back. Problem is I really shy away from any music from my teen years (mid 70's). I loved it then but due to certain situations back then it all depresses me now. I know Rush and the like were great but I do not need the reminder.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23124518

Andy posted some photos of the Huntsville aerotow in the above link. I concentrated on woodies so my photos will show more of those than the glass slippers.

Go to post #34
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,023 Posts
Oh, and Katie, you're gonna love this:

I was waiting for the elevator to take me down to breakfast this morning when two guys walked up carrying scale RC sailboats. I was like "Oh wow!!! More RCers in town for fun". We rode down together discussing soaring versus sailing. Ended up eating breakfast together. They were in town for a big RC blow boat meet. I just thought that was neat. I could seriously get into that too but we have pretty much open water only and it's way too rough for that size hulls.

I forgot to even bring it up but I bet anything those guys are members here on RCG. I think I'm going to go down to the scale sailboat section and see if I can find them. They were totally focused on RC and weather. IOWs, they ain't right, exactly like us, just different medium.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,104 Posts
Anybody building 1/4 or 1/3 scale sailboats?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus