Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Still looking great Jeff!

I did some model stuff today. Sold some old kits (calm down Jeff the Elder, nothing you'd be interested in) and got all my batteries charged and ready for the trip.

Anything really constructive? No............

WHEW!!! Don't do that to me Sean!!!!! Thought I was going to have to send the artisan hit squad after you for a minute! With a little luck, when you are ready to wheel and deal with me on some of the stash, I'll be able to come back out and pick them up in person. Of course if I'm driving that far I hope Tony has some toys/kits he will want ot part with as well. Might as well get my gas moneys worth. ')
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:47 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Carmichael View Post
Where ya goin' Sean?
Paradise.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
WHEW!!! Don't do that to me Sean!!!!! Thought I was going to have to send the artisan hit squad after you for a minute! With a little luck, when you are ready to wheel and deal with me on some of the stash, I'll be able to come back out and pick them up in person. Of course if I'm driving that far I hope Tony has some toys/kits he will want ot part with as well. Might as well get my gas moneys worth. ')
Tony buys, he never, EVER sells.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Tony buys, he never, EVER sells.
Not Grampa Tony? ?
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
What I meant by "beyond" was "along with spar caps and wraps". How do you make a winch proof woodie?

I always thought that a zoom puts tons of extra stress on a plane. I learned recently that woodies, my two gasbags anyways, don't like zooms, even mini ones. I did get better launches after I quit doing them.

Diving at the turnaround is what saved the Gentle Lady. It was a reflex action, and apparently the right one. I dove, and popped up and off the hook. You could hear the hook PING all the way across the field. The hook bent a couple degrees down. All the while I was kicking the useless pedal (I thought it was stuck), and Kyle was diving toward the battery cable to disconnect the winch. Anyways, it is a maneuver that I'll always keep handy.

Thanks for the release materials and vinegar tips. Now I know.

The spar caps have kicked, and look good. Pictures later, after I trim the ends and sand the edges. It's nice to do it right this time, instead of the bass-ackwards way I did it with the GL.
Good to know that the diving idea actually works, even with a GL!!! However, it is my guess that you would have stressed the wing less by continuing the dive until the chute fell off. Mind you, that's a guess.

It's very easy to lose height with a zoom instead of gain it, but if done right, there is altitude to be gained. Obviously a lot more with a really strong model, or with a fast airfoil. I remember Joe Wurtz launching prototype Airtronics woodies at the Nats. I don't know how he didn't break them! Maybe he cheated and added carbon but I think it was really because he was very smooth.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:20 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Mo BB-XL

With the last of the tip shears fitted and glued, it was time for "The Big Cut".
  1. Cut one rib SLOWLY and hold the rib with your other hand! This is a static photo not an action shot! When I was moving the saw, I was holding the rib! Angle the razor saw and do one at a time!
  2. Ditto on the permagrit sander. Hold the rib! Go light and slow. One rib at a time!
  3. Here you can see I was doing a dry fit. And it's too long by a rib thickness. 1/8th inch. I was not sure if the first inboard rib needed slotting. But trying this dry fit, I can see that the ply shear is 1/8th too long. Well if I slot the first rib, that is 1/8th inch right there and everything fits fine.
  4. Using weights to help me make sure ribs dont move as I sand the slot a tad.
  5. Notice all the weights in the back and the pinned shims under the leading edge sheeting. This keeps the wing from deforming/sagging as I cut the ribs. With the spars and full width shear webs buttered with slow cure epoxy, the W1 plywood brace/shear is inserted and clamped to set over night.

Ya? Schoor? Ya betcha!
Last edited by gdjsky01; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,026 Posts
P.S. If you want to know what it takes to make a fairly conventional woodie wing withstand a violent winch launch, look at the plans for the Bubble Dancer or the Allegro Lite. Perhaps it takes a very high level of craftsmanship or something, but I've seen Mark launch both of them incredibly hard.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Hey thanks for the BB buildup, enjoying that, yeah most plans assume you to see between the lines, <snip> Gee I miss building. All the best.
Been a fan of yours for... well as long as the thread... tho I admit I have come and gone and come back to the hobby. Steve I gotta tell ya (and I am sure I've posted before!)... I've never ever seen the southern skies. We may have been the cradle of civilization, but the southern hemisphere got the better part of the skies!

It's on my bucket list to spend a few new moons in Oz. 47 Tucanae, Omega Centauri, the LMC and SMC, the Coal Sack... Sagittarius passing overhead!! OMG you have the astronomical BOMB. I am so jealous of my friends that have gotten to go to the Three Rivers Foundation starparties! 63cm dobs with expert guides to show you the sights!!! (sob... I want to go!!!)

Best wishes... glad you are enjoying the balsa dust from afar...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:10 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,594 Posts
Ahhh- Back on 'schedule'
Sorry- I Lied, I didn't make it across the street, instead, I took advantage of wife sleepin' and had some PS2 time, then lady took dad for a long slow- 2hrs- cruise- she even sat down to watch the ball players! Then I had some more pS2, got a puzzle figured out, then watched a flick with wife and pizza, then did the turtle deck on the war horse as a coupes degrassyand then- I couldn't stand the movie with the lights out- got scared, and came to see if the darthness had passed in the passion pit. Played with my M stick, and have an optical illusion for you
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:19 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,309 Posts
We did well yesterday, too. We went to a meeting-of-geeks, a carnivorous plant club get-together, and watched a slide show from a recent trip to Mt Roraima, a Venezuelan tepui or table mountain. Talk about lost worlds! I did well at the raffle table, nabbing a couple rare plants and seeds. Steve, there was even stuff from your neck of the woods-- I was giving away seeds from an Australian sundew. Weedy little bugger, and strong enough to stop a speeding housefly.

I got seedlings of this rare beauty. Photo courtesy of Barry Rice.

After dinner I realized I hadn't done done anything on the BoT yet, so I sanded the extra carbon that splooged around the sides of the spars off and made sure they still fit right. They do. I am now ready to assemble the wings.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:45 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Jeff, the Tony I'm referring to is my boss. You wouldn't believe me if I tried to describe his collection of model airplanes and kits. I was just throwing back at Jeff the Elder that he'd be more likely to get his stuff bought out from under him that actually buying anything from Tony.

Katie, that is awesome on the plants. We have a variety of those in your photo around here but I sure couldn't tell you exactly what it is. In our old house we had over 100 houseplants, literally looked like a jungle. Actually I guess it was. We now have two and they look sick. Problem is I went all Green and energy efficient trying to keep the house chilly in the hot months which is pretty much 10 a year. Between mirror tinting, blinds, shutters and the design of the house there is no place to get sufficient sunlight. We've discussed artificial plants but they look so...........artificial. I've got an itchy green thumb but I'm going to have to scratch it with landscaping on the outside.

Well, I'm packed for the aerotow trip. Models dusted off, batteries 100%, programming checked, tools, parts, supplies all inventoried. RTG except for packing clothes and personal items. There has to be something I'm missing. I've never gone to a meet without that last minute frantic rush to get going. Even got the shop all cleaned up and reorganized. At least it put me in the mood to get out there and do something. I'll finish up the two EP gliders I'm fitting out soon and then wood will start flying.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Chargers Sean, chargers!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:44 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
Chargers Sean, chargers!
I swear dude, you are good! I did forget my charger. I probably won't need it but I will throw it in the box. I'm bringing only one tx and it has a lipo pack and a spare pack in the case. The models all have LiFe4 packs and I have spares for them all charged too. No way I'm gonna get that much flying in.

No, there's gotta be something MUCH more critical I'm forgetting.

Wish you could go with me Hoss. There'll be guys there that you knew from your TN dam flying days.

TWD on tonight Hossman.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:26 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,648 Posts
Already set to DVR it...

Hmmm, got chargers so what could you be missing? Think from the ground up. I'll keep thinking bout it for ya.. Oh! New tires?

Got a couple of threads going elsewhere you might be interested in seeing when you get back or get time.. There's been some new info that's being discussed..

Hint:
"The chair is against the wall
The chair is against the wall.
John has a long mustache
John has a long mustache"
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:28 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,309 Posts
Sean: rubber bands? That is, if you have any models that need them. I forgot mine at Visalia, and had to scrounge some. Fortunately, there was ONE other rubber band woodie flyer there. Whew! Don't forget to pack the Txs.

Awesome about the Sarracenias. Wild? Protect those babies! They're all threatened, many endangered. (Lemme know if any location is going to be dug up, I'll call some people to save the plants)

Have fun tomorrow!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot