Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:22 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
I could probably add a full-house version of the three meter Chrysalis to my list. Dunno about stretching it to more than 3 meters, not sure that's necessary. Other than that, it's already everything on your list. Only carbon in it is the joiner rods in the wing.

Still trying to get the RES version done, in between getting unpacked after moving back from Michigan, and getting settled into my new day job.
Does this mean we're getting closer to a ETA of months than years? Sure would love to have a 3M Chrysalis in my quiver! If I could get that done before next year's TNT I'd be much more likely to make the 10 mile drive to the contest site.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:24 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
If I ever get around to building an OIII in full house I'd fly it in competition but that isn't saying much since my flying skill level would be my doom anyway.
But isn't that how you accelerate your awesomeness curve? That said, I'm not very awesome yet.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:05 AM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
The spars are capped and curing. Try as I might, I still managed to get epoxy on my hands. A good alcohol rub-down followed by a lotion chaser and I'm good to go.

The best modeling is done while watching a Radio Carbon Arts video, right? I'm watching "Scale Soaring". Nice!
Katie
Gloves!! Get some cheap disposeable nitrile gloves, the blue ones. Try never to get epoxy on your skin:eek
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:23 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,510 Posts
Katie! @ the last MoM contest ( vid earlier) one of the fellas had 'the doc's'( Drella) ultralight carbonized 2 meter- I'm brainlocking for the name now, but he was going uphill wide open, and zoomed a bit, but I was not impressed. The benefit that musty day was the birds were not worried about the crosswind as my canard was. Your much better off with good towhook position and learning to 'Kite' the bird on launch.
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:03 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post

I hope my diversion to the Icon did not start something bad about woodies vs moldies. I got a piece of wisdom a while back and I'll tell you now, its what matters. And of course most of you know this:

Joe Wurts? Larry Jolly? Daryl Perkins? They can throw a brick in the air and set it down 10 minutes later. I want to try a moldie because I have enough dough to try it. But lets be honest. Unless I get out and practice A LOT MORE, I am never going to be a force to be reckon with. No plane will make the pilot. The pilot is the key. Once the pilot knows what they are doing THEN optimizing the airframe becomes valuable.

OT:
First day on the new job. You know you are not in Kanas anymore when the first thing you do is play a game for 1.5 hours and the day ends 7 hours later with catered taco dinner complete with margaritas!

Big Bird XL Update:
Working on the tip 1/16th shears. Hope to fly Sunday AM (not BB-XL silly!).

Jeff, I've said almost verbatim the same thing i.e. Joe, Larry and Daryl. Practice, practice and practice is what makes a good flyer.

Familiarity with a particular airplane helps too. In my opinion my skill level was at the top of it's game back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was flying a lot every weekend and pretty much only flying one sailplane. I knew what it would do in every condition and situation.

Congrats on the new job!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:07 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
But isn't that how you accelerate your awesomeness curve? That said, I'm not very awesome yet.
Awesome? I set my goals for "adequate" so I'm not disappointed when I reach "OK".
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
This is where full-flying stabs and a good programmable radio come in, right?...
Yes and no. First of all, the "trim drag" from a little bit of elevator deflection is not that much different from that of a stab deflected enough to make the same pitch force.

Secondly, particularly if the plane has flaps, an all-flying tail often needs to be about 20% or so larger than an equivalent stabilizer+elevator.

The key is whether the size of the tail is determined by stability concerns or by elevator authority requirements. If you have flaps for landing, it's likely to be elevator authority, to overcome the high aerodynamic pitching moments of the large flaps. When you deflect an all-flying stabilator, you only change its angle of attack. When you deflect an elevator, you change the angle of attack of the tail, but also the camber, so you don't need as much tail area to make the same amount of tail lift.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:45 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Don, thanks. I understand.

It's kinda like making an upside down wing with a regular stab/elevator setup, where I can't do that with a stabilator.

David: I am usually really uptight about gloves. I ran out and stubbornly went forward, thinking that I can keep my fingers out. Well, not entirely, apparently.

Anyways, I'll be getting a box the next time I'm out.

I'm not going to try to full-pedal the BoT. It sounds like it won't make it, and considering what covering I'll be using, I won't risk it. I'll keep am eye out for a good, cheap, used mouldie.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,926 Posts
Unless you have a different, high-speed airfoil, most "gasbags" don't zoom well. The idea behind a zoom is to use line tension to build massive amounts of excess airspeed at the top of the launch, then convert that to extra altitude after you come off the line. To do that, the plane needs to retain energy well, which means having low drag at low lift coefficients. The thick, highly cambered airfoils on the older designs tend to get a lot of separation on the underside at moderate and low lift, which kills the extra airspeed pretty quickly, and limits the altitude gain in the zoom. This is aso why these designs typically do not penetrate well.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,926 Posts
Katie, I've found some of the better deals on surgical gloves at WalMart in the health section, typically in diabetic supplies. Sam's Club can also have good deals. Make sure to get nitrile, urethane or vinyl gloves, NOT latex. Latex provides almost zero protection against the chemicals we typically work with, especially laminating epoxies.

Some of our chemicals also attack vinyl. Nitrile usually does better. If you are working with really nasty stuff like that, wearing two layers of gloves is usually a good idea.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I will not shop at Walmart. They treat their employees and customers like trash. (and our local WM STINKS)

There is a tool supply place we like, and they carry a brand of gloves that actually fit. That's where we're going.

I know about epoxy vs latex. I know epoxy is bad. I was just being stupid stubborn last night. Admit it, we all have our moments.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:51 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Now where wuz we?
  1. Here we have the upper tip spar in place. As I mentioned, I have seen people put full width shear between both tip spars as well. Simply check back on one of the old BB-XL build threads. The plans show only the first bay, the one that carries the plywood tip brace, with full width shear. I am going to follow the plans.
  2. As you can also see, the supplied shear is too small in height to cover three of the bays with the tallest ribs. No matter! That is what scrap wood is for!
  3. And of course it's too tall for the outer bays... no matter that is what, pencils, knives, and perma-grit sanders are for!
  4. And here we are getting on with the task at hand... the first tip bay is left alone for now until we join the tip and inner panel. We'll have to set the angle of rib 10B as well as sand the edge of the spars and the full width vertical shear at that time.

More later. I am off to Walmart (well Sam's Club) to get more kitty litter. Six cats create a lot of

gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,028 Posts
Still looking great Jeff!

I did some model stuff today. Sold some old kits (calm down Jeff the Elder, nothing you'd be interested in) and got all my batteries charged and ready for the trip.

Anything really constructive? No............
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,888 Posts
Isn't the BOT airfoil a bit thinner and faster than most? It's not completely flat bottomed, either.

I have seen Mark launch the Allegro Lite, and if done right it is quite impressive. Particularly because watching it is like listening to an LP on 78rpm. The AL flies very well, too.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Still looking great Jeff!

I did some model stuff today. Sold some old kits (calm down Jeff the Elder, nothing you'd be interested in) and got all my batteries charged and ready for the trip.

Anything really constructive? No............
Where ya goin' Sean?
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael