Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Big Bird Inner Panel #1

1) Clamps removed. this was all done with generous amounts of wood glue for those 1/16th inch shears.

2) this shows where 1/16 inch shears were not installed. The 1/16th inch ply W1 and W2 shear webs are shown lain sideways against the position they will be installed. Only W1, the forward shear will be installed now. The shorter W2 is installed after the panels are set together and the joiner tubing aligned and glued in. BB's in a baggie make for great conformal weights.

3) Might as well add a tip... the 1/4 inch spar is secured with wood glue using the ribs and trailing edge, making sure that the aft edge of the spars (inner and outer) line up. We have a plywood brace that will join those two.

4) More tip...

5) A whoopsie that the plan should have noted. You want the last rib to butt join the lower spar. There is no room, and therefore no cutout for the lower spar in the last rib. There is only a cutout in the top of the rib. This would be a PITA to get the spruce stick out. So I removed the rib center (splitting the rib in two). I'll bevel the top spruce spar into the lower when the time comes. Again, I love this kit, but little details like this SHOULD have been noted on the plan. Should I have seen this? Sure!! But like any good aviation checklist, we should not rely on "Just knowing". There are a 1000 little details to remember. Why not make it harder to forget them by sticking a note on the plan? Nothing is perfect. Especially me..

gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Y'all gonna disown me. But I can not resist.

I am buying that $500, 6 year old Icon. I know it is the Pilot not the Plane. But for $500 + $50 shipping, I have to given it a shot. I've aways wanted a fullhouse ship. I know I'll have my hands full, and probably screw the pooch, but what the hell. Like Darth, I am both a woodie builder, and a moldie wanna be.

I want to learn to fly a carbon slipper. Maybe I have more money than brains... wouldn't be the first, won't be the last!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:44 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
I want to try one too. I just need to save up a lot of peanuts first.

I got to fly one, once. It was after a contest, it was one of those days where the whole sky is lifty-- guys were inverted or doing loops and going up, and I was asking one of the guys flying for fun how the plane handles. His only answer was to hand me the Tx. With the lift that good, we had the plane specked in no time, even with my rookie hands at the sticks. I don't remener what it was, either a Supra or an Explorer. It was green.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:49 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
No harm in it Jeff, owned a couple myself and they have their place, just another way to go and a often a whole different set of flight parameters to our beloved woody sailplanes, and then there is the fitout in those tiny pencildick fuses! I can easily see an Xploder in my loft, or maybe an X21 if I can ever manage to find one, they was pretty good.

Hey thanks for the BB buildup, enjoying that, yeah most plans assume you to see between the lines, OIII and Lil Bird were the same, you have to think four moves ahead, the build notes at the Skybench site were a help, don't know if Ray has any of the same for the BB but the general construction is the same as the Oly's, just a different shape. Gee I miss building. All the best.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:23 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Your speaking of Delmar Benjamin. I met him once. Yep, said it was a sweetie to fly. At Oshkosh , Sun n Fun and other events he would knife edge it the length of the runway then climb out while doing some other impressive aerobatics. What got at least a couple of GeeBee designs was flutter IIR my history correctly.
Yes, nice guy, and very professional. I met him when I was helping the Wright Bothers Aeroplane Company at the Dayton Air Show. I also have his book, which discusses some of this in detail.

There were some flutter concerns, but a big one just seemed to be simple bad luck. For example, the Gee Bee Z crash that killed Lowell Bayles during a speed record attempt was precipitated by the gas cap coming off and going through the wind shield. Another crash was caused by stalling right after liftoff, and dragging a wing tip (as I mentioned before, the planes needed to be flown by the numbers, not by the seat of the pants).

As far as basic handling qualities, Jimmy Doolittle described the R-1 as "... the sweetest ship I've ever flown. She is perfect in every respect ..."
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:23 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
I'll admit I have a couple of moldies, a Sharon Pro 3.7 and an Experience Pro. Both are over 5 years old so they aren't the latest and greatest. There's no arguing that they are a step up in performance. I love flying them occasionally, especially if the wind is blowing. You'll enjoy the Icon Jeff and developing full house flying skills is a good thing.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
My baby with my baby Baby...
DW-

The Baby Alby is absolutely beautiful! The lines on this design spark a bit of day dreaming that's for sure.

Sean-

Thanks for digging up the pics. You and I had the same toys, dude. The gun is a Johnny Seven OMA (One Man Army) from Topper Toys. It's going anywhere from $150-$350 now. You probably had one of these too. It's a Johnny Astro from Topper also. This pic is not of mine but I found one on ebay a couple years ago from an attic in Georgia. Got it for $125 with box and all. These were from '64 thru about '69....high tech toy boom.

God, I miss those days!!!!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Hi Rob...! I may be getting in touch with you about a kit deal... if you're up for it... The rest of you Bozos... don't get yer hopes up...
Sure thing (if you meant me?), I'm always up for a conversation that involves kit acquisition! (addict, yes!!)

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
What are the weights you're using in your build. Except for making my own lead molds, I'm always on the lookout for better weights.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
What are the weights you're using in your build. Except for making my own lead molds, I'm always on the lookout for better weights.
They are from adjustable ankle weights. I probably picked them up 10 years ago or more at a Target or Wally world. There are lots of places selling them, however many have round weights. I found these that have the bars. Of course I have no clue as to the brand as the pouches are long gone.

Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Thanks Don!!!!!! Now I remember completely. In fact I even remember how I was going to die at a very young age if I didn't get one. Had the Topper too! And yep, I really wish for those days to come back. Not for me but my grand kids. Simpler, sweeter times. My daughter is raising her little girl (cutie with rifle I posted) as much that way as she can. Little one is smart as a whip and goes to private school so she's exposed to all things modern but when she gets home internet surfing and video games are not on her schedule. She plays with real toys, draws, things like that. It's going to be interesting to see how she turns out.

Back when we I was working at the Naval Aviation Museum refurbing display aircraft the CO of the facility told me to remove and dispose of all the lead weights from control surfaces. I did......right into my truck. Got several hundred pounds of lead strips, blocks and interesting airfoil shaped pieces. Some I kept in original form and labeled as to what AC they came from. The rest are in the shop serving construction duty.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I want to try one too. I just need to save up a lot of peanuts first.

I got to fly one, once. It was after a contest, it was one of those days where the whole sky is lifty-- guys were inverted or doing loops and going up, and I was asking one of the guys flying for fun how the plane handles. His only answer was to hand me the Tx. With the lift that good, we had the plane specked in no time, even with my rookie hands at the sticks. I don't remener what it was, either a Supra or an Explorer. It was green.
thx for that Katie. My next task is figuring out once it gets here how to set it up. Throws and all that. Will have to enlist advice. Turns out I can do the programming just following the chapter is the SD-10g manual. That'll get me a stock setup. Just have to get the throw numbers.

Last day before orientation in my new job... Drats I hate working for a living. even if I like the job so posts will start slowin down.

Woodie content: big bird tip spar installed. Film at 11
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:04 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
GDJ, I'd happily trade you. I hate being jobless.

I really like my 10-G. It is easy to program. If I get stuck, I have a couple Airtronics nuts to ask, plus an Airtronics sponsored expert.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
Y'all gonna disown me. But I can not resist.

I am buying that $500, 6 year old Icon. I know it is the Pilot not the Plane. But for $500 + $50 shipping, I have to given it a shot. I've aways wanted a fullhouse ship. I know I'll have my hands full, and probably screw the pooch, but what the hell. Like Darth, I am both a woodie builder, and a moldie wanna be.

I want to learn to fly a carbon slipper. Maybe I have more money than brains... wouldn't be the first, won't be the last!
Cccoooommmmeee to the dark side... I must obey my carbon lust...

Darth Attic Decker...

Yep the decking is done and the garage is about half empty. My work table emerged this morning and I have a plan for setting everything up... so I can start building!!!

Enjoy the new (to you) Icon, Jeff... The dark side ain't all bad!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
"cough....wood fuse....cough!"
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1