Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post

Not too long ago someone built a replica Gee Bee R2 and flew it extensively. He was a Lear Jet pilot for his "day job", and found the Gee Bee to be no more demanding than the Lear. Both needed to be flown by the numbers, and with respect and reasonable precision, but when handled in a professional manner, they both fly consistently well, and without problems. You just can't get away with treating either one like a Piper Cub.
Your speaking of Delmar Benjamin. I met him once. Yep, said it was a sweetie to fly. At Oshkosh , Sun n Fun and other events he would knife edge it the length of the runway then climb out while doing some other impressive aerobatics. What got at least a couple of GeeBee designs was flutter IIR my history correctly.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hey Katie.... Just a quick tip for handling that kevlar form the FO cable. First guesstimate the amount you'll need and cut a length of the cable. Strip off only 2 inches or so of the jacket to start with. Peel the fibers off to the side and then use some masking tape to bind the kevlar together. Then and only then remove the rest of the cable jacket. Once you've got it off. remove the fibers and smooth the kevlar out and tape the other end like you did before. This will make it tons easier to handle without getting it messed up. If you have to cut it for trimming, use the sharpest scissors you can find. It's tough stuff to cut.

Sean: Thanks for sending some of the stash to Katie. I'd have sent her some but my stock is still packed up from the move. You're a good man... But I will deny ever saying that in an effort to save your perfectly bad reputation.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Last edited by scaflock; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: DO I have to have a reason?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sean, GDJ: I flew one in a simulator recently (not Real Flight, but another good one I can't remember the name of) and it was really a sweet flier.

Sean: three boxes arrived today. Two were from plant trades, and full of various carnivorous plants, and one had a charger and some fun cable. Woot! The big thing is a what, again? I've been calling it an anti-inverter. Little Shasta loves the fun new toys that padded the things, while I had fun playing with the FO cable and a strong flashlight. Thanks a zillion!

Good lord woman, don't let the cat near that anti-inverter!

The other thing is the 12V power supply. Plugs in to any household outlet and the terminals on the other end are a 12V source. Put some leads on them (they're marked "+" and "-" and you can plug that charger or any "field charger" into it and charge at home instead of under the hood of the jalopy.

The charger is self-explanatory but read the manual that DonW provided.

I can't remember if I included any JR/Fut/HiTec females for your flight packs but those are easy to get. The banana plugs are to make whatever charging jacks you want or need. The black square battery holder needs banana pugs on them and then you can charge your loose AAs off the charger at home or field.

The black battery pack is a "Duraloop", a knock off of the Eneloops, same thing, different label ASAIK. Test before putting it in a glider. I built it a couple of years ago (should be labeled as to date/volt/amp) but it has no usage on it so if it tests good you have another flight battery pack. I would cycle it up and down a few times and see what volts, Mah it's putting out. "Should be" fine but test it at least 3 times full cycle. On any AA NiCad or NiMh packs I label them by date and they go in the round file on their 3rd birthday no matter how well they test. Remember, I'm a battery wuss.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Excellent work Jeff the Younger. What are those oblong weights you're using?

Jeff the Elder, I think you gave me and Hossmeister more FO cable than you think. I gave Katie 40' and there is still a bunch there.
Last edited by seanpcola; Oct 17, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Sean, thanks for the tips. Will do!

I hear ya' bout the cat vs. anti-inverter. Last thing we need is a scaled-up hyperactive kitten.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Sean, thanks for the tips. Will do!

I hear ya' bout the cat vs. anti-inverter. Last thing we need is a scaled-up hyperactive kitten.
That glows in the dark.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Well, here's the two photos I found. Scanned them tonight. Not sure if they'll open large enough to see. May have to work on this digital stuff some more.

First photo: Must be 1962. First flyable aircraft in my hangar. I think it was a Mustang but photo shows a tricycle gear. Can't remember much other than it was a Cox and .049 powered.

Second photo: What can I say? I'm wearing my Hugh Hefner collection lounging robe that just screams "Hello baby, my name is Barry and I love all the women in the world".
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,796 Posts
Actually... Jeff-ro... should be a Bodine...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:05 PM
mods are *****
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Excellent pics Sean, oh yeah, the 60's and 70's are a retrospective tragedy when viewed in terms of the fashions of the times, same over here.
Happily good aircraft don't go out of fashion.

Is that a GI Joe original machine gun there? That's cool, they made all the sounds too IIRC, it was all new toy technology in the day, garunteed to elevate your social status among the kids around the building site warfare playgrounds. Yes, a plastic toy weapon like that would make you an automatic commander.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Retrospective tragedy?Steve-O, I'll have you know that I still wear that robe. Upsets the wife a bit when we have company over though. Haven't figured out why yet. I mean, the hem of that thing comes at least an inch below my navel,

I don't remember the "assault weapon" though. For the life of me I have wracked my brain and don't remember it. I know it would have been top of the line back then and I was probably the best armed kid in the 'hood but it really doesn't ring a bell. It sucks getting old. As much as I love my bang sticks now I just really wasn't interested when I was a little guy. I was all about wings though, even back then. I remember playing Army but that's about it.

I sent a copy of these photos over to my dad tonight. He's been building a huge file of family stuff and I know he'll appreciate seeing them. It won't surprise me at all if he emails me in the morning and says he has both of those warbirds (probably in pieces) carefully packaged, labeled and preserved. 30 years ago I kind of snickered at him over his preservation but now at 55 I just cherish him even more. He IS the man! Someday I will go through all of that stuff and after I go through the emotional ups and downs I'll find a special place in the 'cave or the man-bar to prominently display them. I'll make the Hoss-man come over and get stupid sloshed with me when I'm ready.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:13 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Shouldn't that be "Jeff-ro Clamp-it"? And doth mine eyes deceive me here or is that a bottle of CA I see in thy hand? FOR SHAME!!!! Real Jeffs only build with wood glue instead of that brittle junk. I do here-by disown thee and strip from thee the noble title of Jeffdom!

Of course i"m kidding here. It looks like you've got a real good build going so far. Keep it up and post lots of pictures as is required by woodie thread law!

Sir Jeffrey the Elder

Dear Royal Aire Fart... err I mean Air Force! j/k

They ONLY place I used CA was on the forward portion of the ribs. I made sure the sheeting was tight to the rib and then wicked in CA. Everything else has been slow cure epoxy or titebond wood glue. Real Jeffs would not try and bond those front rib areas with wood glue as they know it's not structural, and would risk walking away with a gap forming. This way we know that the glue kicked off and bonded the sheeting to the rib profile as intended!

And just how are you sure you are the 'Edler'? My birth year is the same as the USA's first satellite.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Same here Jeff. In fact I was born on Jan 12 of that same said year. I feel the chances of you being born within 11 days before me is pretty slim. Besides.... I came up with the name first!!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Same here Jeff. In fact I was born on Jan 12 of that same said year. I feel the chances of you being born within 11 days before me is pretty slim. Besides.... I came up with the name first!!!
True... but Feb 24th ain't far off!!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:41 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Excellent work Jeff the Younger. What are those oblong weights you're using?

They come from ankle weights. They fit in pouches and the whole thing velcro'd around your ankles. Silly really, as it is obvious what they are MEANT for.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,640 Posts
Ohh Boyyyys Now ya went an' dunn it! Ankle weights, I'll give ya ankle weights- I spent the eve. doing 'support your balsa' works!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!