Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Carbon is good... come to the dark side... I must have more carbon...

Hi Rob...! I may be getting in touch with you about a kit deal... if you're up for it... The rest of you Bozos... don't get yer hopes up...

Alright Darth. Spill it. I have your epoxy and I'm not afraid to use it!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
OK... 140" hybrid that can be built as RES or full house. Been workin' on it off and on fer a while... I gotta come up with a glass/cf/kevlar fuselage pod, cf boom, and glass/cf fin... And... I'm workin' on that, too... As I said, don't get yer hopes up, because the other wood projects are acomin' firstest...

Darth Smokin' Brains... the wheels are turnin'
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Ft. Davis is a really hard trip to beat if you like the stars...
Amongst the best in the world. Good people too. I had an AMAZING backlot tour of both McDonald Observatory but also the VLBA dish.

Quote:
Carbon is good... come to the dark side... I must have more carbon...
So you think a RX ready original Icon for $550 is cool?
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Wow gang, it's so hard to keep up with whats happenning here! Loved the pics folks and Jeff, i am an amatuer astronomer myself and have been attached to outreach education with my University and.... I want that big Newt!!!

Next year, will buy myself a simple 14" light bucket and build a couple of bases for obs and imaging. I had to sell most all my astro gear, apart from my ep's, a couple of years ago to fund a bicycle tour around Australia, sold a lot of rc stuff too. It was worth it, riding around Aus for 1.5 years was amazing.

That's why I am working flat chat now, so I can get back into my hobbies when I move back to the Wide Bay Qld late November.

Ok quick pic of me back in June, riding up to Katherine NT from Hervey Bay Qld for the pursuit of work.

And- please I would love to see any build log here, I'll add to the fun early next year with a Ray Hayes short kit Bowlus Baby Albatross but in the meantime it'd be great to follow any builds either on this thread or a new one, a bloke is living vicariously just now. I've learned a heap of neat stuff from everyone on this thread already and would like to continue too.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:41 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
You guys can build 'em, I and Don can crash 'em, I got seriously good quals when it comes to making models meet the ground, and trees and stuff; have no fear for a lack of entertainment next year my friends.

Build
Build
build!!! before it's to late and the world ends!

edit' thanks for the laughs people, every time a read a page here there is always some great humor going down, usually at some hapless persons expense, but you have to love it anyway and thank god we don't take ourselves to seriously
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
One very lucky cat

Ahhhh Rat's gattit cat's to big, or bird is too small- well she get's away this time-but if i ever-----
Thanks fer keeping me in focus gang! Not pictured: Sig Riser 100= Sir Regis Thanks to Robby, 3 baby Chrys's, one bug, and one electric Miss Stick, who needs battery charge
Laquer Head:! Can I talk ya into a new fuselage for existing wing collection?
Use Force Darth! when time it is, surfaces shall be, yes?!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:53 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
^ See what i mean, how in a hundred ways might that be interperetated?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:19 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I don't know what you're talking about.
Fixed. Call it dumb thumbs.

I'll send you the plans, and see how much I need to stash away for a short kit.
Geesh, this thread moves FAST!! I go home for the night (usually not online much at home) and this morning I got 3 pages of posts to catch up on. Lol.

Lil Stinkpot, I can take a look at the plans and let you know. Are they in Cad format?

Rob
RCROBBY is offline Find More Posts by RCROBBY
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Welcome to the asylum Robby. Unlike Sean I won't require you to read everything form page one. I will require you to read and report on all posts for the next three months. BTW....The report is due tomorrow This is for two reasons. First is to test your psychic abilities and the second is to keep me from inserting my foot in my mouth up to the knee cap.

We try from time to time to actually talk about woodie planes and building styles. Every once in a while we actually keep to the topic. Lots of good people on this thread and a LOT of experiance in building with wood. Some of us even write code for web pages.......
Sir Yes Sir!
As I gaze into my crystal ball I see the future....yes...it is becoming very clear now... Gasp, your future on RCG is dismal.....I am afraid there is no way to keep your foot out of your mouth. The moons will align, the keyboard will type and you are doomed for sure, lol.

The only code I understand is G-Code for my CNC, lol. Web pages have code??
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:33 AM
Laser Cutter Guy
Joined Oct 2009
247 Posts
Quote:
Hi Rob...! I may be getting in touch with you about a kit deal... if you're up for it... The rest of you Bozos... don't get yer hopes up...
Hello, Not sure if that was directed towards me or Robh, but it was for me, Sure, send PM or E-mail when you are ready.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:06 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,078 Posts
Yep, the thread moves so fast it's easy to miss stuff. It always settles down a little during the winter months when people are building more in cold weather.

I bounce a lot of design ideas around in my head that I doubt I'll ever get to. I love to build but sitting down and learning CAD and such is not something I can do. Not that I don't think I could learn but my heart isn't in it. I'd rather someone else do the designing and I'll do the cutting, gluing and covering.

One concept I've had for a while is an aerotowable bird that is quick to build and optimized for thermaling. Between 6-7 meters. I love aerotow, it's a blast, easier on the airframe than a winch and you can choose your release height.

What I don't like about scale is after all that money and time building my knees are knocking during the whole flight. Building them is fun and looking at them is a pure joy but I've seen way too many $3-10K models pile in for various reasons. There are a lot of guys that do it and can afford it but I ain't one of them.

My idea is "Make it big, quickly reproduced and do not worry over looks". I have a demolished XC ship that I got from a guy on the West Coast. That's where he was heading with the design. Got a lot of good ideas from it.

Unfortunately, I don't think wood is the way to go except for maybe to fuselage. Hot wiring out a bunch of cores for wings and tail feathers wouldn't take all that long. Spars could be done quickly and without the absolute degree of perfection necessary for a light, bulletproof structure needed on 2-3-4 meter birds being winched and flown in contest conditions. In fact attention to weight savings would be, within reason, not necessary with the exception of the tail feathers and outboard wing panels. Servo mounting and control rod fabrication would be done with the idea of easy access, quick changeout and simple setup.

It would probably look like something only a mother could love but so what?

Knock out a few fuses, several wings and tail feathers and throw them in a box. Go to the field, fly it like you stole it and if you break something change it out and keep going without needing a pocket calculator to total up the repair or replacement costs.

That would be fun.

On the subject of size. I do agree that bigger is better but I gotta tell you guys I've had as much, if not more fun with my 40" ELF as just about anything else.

They're all fun.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Just for you:
That's more like it!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:43 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
^ See what i mean, how in a hundred ways might that be interperetated?
LOL...I too have been befuttled .
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:54 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
The one that blew me away and I still laugh about is the day she got to meet Steven Tyler (Aerosmith). Growing up her word for him was "hawt". The day she found out he would be coming in and she would get to meet him you can imagine was .................interesting. She called Ashley, her step-sister and the AF commercial daughter I mentioned before. Ashley races up there, they greet the plane and he agrees to a photo with both of them. She calls me later and I ask how it went. A sort of disappointed "OK" was all I got. I figured out why later. Katie is a tad over 6' tall. Ashley is 5'11". The photo is with the girls on both sides with their arms around his waste. Other than the obvious age difference it looks like a photo of two sisters and their little brother. He's about a head shorter than either of them.
Hilarious! Yup, I think all the dope stunned his growth. I remember when this came out a couple years ago..."Dude Looks Like a Memaw" .
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Omg!
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet