Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Is that kevlar reinforcing fiber inside some network cables? Might be a good source for the real tightwad or if you have some discarded cable and you're in a hurry.

$4 for 30 feet seems a bit pricy. Seems like if you had some kevlar fabric scraps or tapes, you could extract the tow for much less.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:50 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
A while back I wound up with a spool of fiber optic cable. Inside the jacketing was perfect kevlar tow material. With almost a full thousand feet of cable on the spool I shared the wealth with Sean and Hoss. I've yet to do a build using it myself but as soon as I am moved into my new place I'm going to give it a try on the Mirage build.

While some of you were being domestic today, I found the flying field for the Club in Sierra Vista. Nice field if you're a power guy but I felt it very lacking for a glider guider. Not really anyplace to set up a winch or highstart. If the wind direction was right you might be able to use a quick start. Other than that it was a field where EP is called for. If you had to make an off strip landing you'd be in trouble as the entire field is surrounded by mesquite and cats claw bushes that would do a real number on your covering.

I was treated to a nice little show while there. One of the guys was flying a pretty nice gasser and doing quite well with it until his engine up and quit on him. He's crabbing back for a X-wind dead stick landing when about 10 feet above the ground it just dropped right onto the paved runway. Not a stall per se it just pancaked in and folded the landing gear. It was like he hit a wall of wind shear and it slapped him down. Over all the damage didn't look too bad, but a trip to the shop was in the guys future for sure.

Next weekend I'm going to try getting over to the field in Douglas and check out the action there. I've talked to one of their members in the past and am going to see if I can look him up to get more info on the group. The main drawback to their field is that you can actually throw a rock into Mexico and they require that you don't fly alone for safety from insurgents from down south. :yikes!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:51 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Cap'n, tha ks for the tips. I'll make it tight, but, for this one, I'd like to wrap it. I'm still none too accurate on my landings, and occasionally fudge up in other ways.

I don't know if I know a guy that can get some leftover fiber optic cable. I can ask Dory, I guess.

On crashes: today I saw a glass fuse 3 meter RES woodie (Houston Hawk, or similar?) of some sort really bite it. The pilot is not sure what happened, but the plane inverted about 10 feet into the launch. WHAM! Fuse broke in two places, and shattered a wing. Ouch.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:52 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I forgot to add: How much tow do I need?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Oops, I completely forgot about that FO cable Jeff. It's out in the cave. I'll dig it out this evening and see how much is there.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
I remember that. I honestly do. It was a few years back at least, maybe five.
.... hey, is it worth $5/metre now?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I forgot to add: How much tow do I need?
What's the height and width of your spar box (thickness of wing at spar location, and width of spar)? Perimeter length will be 2 * height + 2 * width. Tow length required will be wingspan * sparbox perimeter length * wraps per inch. I'd figure about 8 wraps per inch. Probably add 10-20% extra.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Hmmmm, thanks Waz. I have some maths to do. I'll be back when I figure that out. The darn wing tapers, then widens, then tapers again.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Hmmmm, thanks Waz. I have some maths to do. I'll be back when I figure that out. The darn wing tapers, then widens, then tapers again.
Just use the maximum dimensions, and maybe leave off some of the extra amount. It won't hurt to have some extra, and it's better than not having enough.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Oops, I completely forgot about that FO cable Jeff. It's out in the cave. I'll dig it out this evening and see how much is there.
Don't forget to split it with the Hossmiester. That will make his HL wings "Hoss proof". With the hand coil I gave you there should be enough for several planes each.

Katie: I'm not really sure where to get it in the S.J. area. When I was installing it hwe always ordered it from a company called Anixter and we ordered up thousands of feet at a time. The price has come down since back then. Check with companies that do network installations and you might be able to get some scrap from them to free. Just put a bit of masking tape on each end to keep it from tangling up on you.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Few years ago, someone turned me on to cheap - but I don't recall the price - kevlar sailing cord? It that the right word? It's in a stiff fabric sheath. The core is kevlar. I use it in parachute bridles for my High Power Rockets. And I use the sheath for lower powered ones... I wonder if I just fray it apart...

Also Rocketry suppliers have kevlar thread.

Starting at post 153 in the 2nd Houston Hawk thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301987

you can see what you get from ACP and how I used it back then. I had 75% of the hawk's wing done when I had to move and in the move, 50%, despite my beat effort, got completely crushed.. . I still have one inner wing panel and the FG fuse.

BTW: That combo of 060 CF, tapered plywood sides, and full width shear, is one STRONG spar (IMO and with no empirical evidence )
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
OK Katie, I shipped you 40' of the fiber optic cable that Jeff gave me. I checked before work and found the huge roll Jeff gave me to share with Hoss. I've got the rest hung up from a shelf now so I can't miss it next time I get up with. There's plenty for him and myself both left on the roll.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Whoops ninja'd by Steve.

Thanks, wow!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
It's easy to strip out of the insulator. Jeff showed me. If Jeff can pull it out anyone else can.

j/k Jeff.

It's better to leave it it sheathed until time to use so the fibers stay together and clean.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Lincoln made a comment in the bent wing thread that got my interest. He said that when I finish with my BoT, and get the silk all tie dyed and doped on, that I should send the old buzzard a picture.

Is he still around? I would be delighted to do that, if I can.