Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:53 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
That is the correct way of describing it Sean! I put that tip dihedral on the Merlyn rework- BoT 11/2, showed it to the fellas in California- and off and running!- no credit to me of course!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Thanks fer the help Sean! While I was looking for a pic of a spar setup on my little band saw, you answered the WBQ! ( I like that one gdjsky!)
Ok.. I make my living, and have for the past 16 years, writing software that runs web sites... I am cutting edge modern... or pretty darn close... but I admit the abbreviation WBQ escapes me...

gdjsky = initials backwards (Jeff is the name) + last three of last name. I figured it'll never be taken on any site I register on, and so far, that hypothesis has yet to be challenged.

Quote:
any way, when you click on thread tools, you can do a look @ pics onlymode,or other options- have a hoot on me
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236486

There is a lot to grok even in pictures. (BTW: is the crimson laser parts available?)

See here's the thing. My cheapy 7 inch Delta bandsaw is dead after 12 years. The rubber tires inside hardened and cracked off in chunks. It costs almost as much to replace the tires as the saw. So I have a nice scroll saw... which should easily cut 3/8th inch shear webbing if I want to scratch build me a Gnome 3 meter. But the table on the saw is round. So you can't just place a rip fence parallel to an edge, because there is no edge. That is making it REALLY hard to figure out how to get a rip fence parallel to the blade. I guess it's just trial and error with scrap until it measures up.

On other news: Got in another morning's flying. Again no-one showed with a winch until late. And they just did not feel like setting up... I am told it is winch burnout after Visalia.

So I flew all morning with the 2 meter Gnome and a hi-start. Man that's a lot of work. Couldn't really hook up with anything. Most flights were landing practice.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Last edited by gdjsky01; Oct 14, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Very pretty gullwing, Cap'n.

What's ya'lls favorite source of Kevlar tow? I'm going to need some very soon. How much fir an3-meter?
https://www.acpsales.com/Kevlar-Tow.html

BTW: I have a bunch of carbon tow. Any reason to prefer the kevlar when wrapping spars and/or joiner boxes?

BTW Again: They are closing out the unidirectional laminates. Pretty cheap for those of us that A) use it bonded to a spar or B) as a spar (ala Houston Hawk).
Last edited by gdjsky01; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
No reason at all. If carbon is acceptable, I can use it. Isn't it a bit brittle along sharp corners?

Thanks for the link!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,793 Posts
Not as brittle, slightly higher tensile strength than carbon, also the lower stiffness may make the structure more forgiving, and reduce stress concentrations. I've used both successfully, but of the two, Kevlar is probably a slightly better choice.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Not as brittle, slightly higher tensile strength than carbon, also the lower stiffness may make the structure more forgiving, and reduce stress concentrations. I've used both successfully, but of the two, Kevlar is probably a slightly better choice.
IIRC the Houston Hawk instructions had you round the edges of the ply joiners. Would that help alleviate the worried about fibers cracking as you wrap? Anyways, thanks for the info!

Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,793 Posts
I'd consider that almost mandatory for carbon.

Carbon tow is also likely to be more difficult to wrap, more tendency to fray.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Hi Geff and all!
What was driving me nutz as a machinist- and wanting that perfectly cut spar/whatever, was overthinking the scenario.
Now, with a scroll saw, as a table saw, you will have a 'saw point' that is --- 1/16" long- a table saw a saw point (8") now the fence is to guide the material within the saw point, which is how Sean mentioned it.
I went to Rockler, picked up a high buck 48" fence guide for my delta 9"er, thinking I need all that linear support. yes- you need support- whether human or mechanical to receive the cut wood(s), and a few inches forward of blade to guide the saws' point of cut- that is all, which is why you can troddle up to favorite home excavating store, grab a couple (3) " small c clamps, and have at it with anything which is a straight line and if you want, you can do fantastic c curve spars etc!
now for the WBQ- remember a couple days ago when you 'interrupted' the riots with a question? yepper- I'm gonna give ya full credit for coining a new whatever those abreviations are called
If you have access to a laser fella, I have (wing ribs) setup as laser files- DXF
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Q- remember a couple days ago when you 'interrupted' the riots with a question?
Woodie Build Question!!!! (Slappin' forehead... OW!!!)
They say at my age of 53.75 the memory is the 2nd thing to go... I forgot what the first was...

Thanks for the response. I'll see what I can do. No... no laser guy I know... how does one find them?

'interrupted' the riots

Funny I saw Riots and almost spit... I was thinkin' how could he know???

See I just quit a job I had for 7.5 years to take a new one at.... Riot Games. So I see the word Riot and think, "Did I mention that before!??? I AM loosing my mind!"
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
So, for a 9 foot wing, at four bucks per 30 feet, how much do I need?

I've had problems trying to wrap carbon tow around a repair in the GL. It was breaking, fraying, and being naughty.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
As for CF tow: CF loses a LOT of strength when it makes a turn or corner. NOT good for wrapping spars at all. A 90 degree corner on CF pretty much negates it's usefulness. Kevlar far exceeds CF in tensile strength in those applications. CF is best left to applications such as spar caps or anything linear.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
Gdjsky01: Are you sure about that on the Delta parts? I have two Delta band saws and the last time I replaced the tires and bearing on my 3 wheel the shipping was more than the parts. Not saying you are wrong at all. If they went stupid on parts prices I may have to upgrade but I've always been really happy with Delta's customer service and support. Clue me in if there is a problem.

Oh, and back on the cross-cutting with a scroll saw.. Did you try what I suggested yet? Go with the widest blade you can find, do a little practice cutting to see which way your blade drifts and adjust the fence accordingly. I've done a ton of cutting with a hot-glued fence on a scroll saw with fantastic results. It will work. As for shear webs most of the work will be in final sanding for a tight fit.

If you want I can post some photos this coming week of my sanding setup for perfect 90 degree joints and great results.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,899 Posts
One last thing before I crash for the weekend.

Band saws too. You can make a fence out of just about anything,

Through the years I have grabbed every shape, form or function of clamp I can find. I have them hanging from the rafters, nails on the wall, I have clamps clamping clamps to shelving. All of that along with various dimensions of angle iron, aluminum and anything I can find at flea markets that measures out straight will give you an infinite amount of guides. Think outside the box when figuring out tooling to make any kind of cuts or joints you may need. Really. I've built everything from the earlier mentioned steam iron shelf for the wife to home built full scale aircraft and jigs, tooling and bracing has always saved the day. Don't worry about gluing something to something else or grabbing anything that might work to make your job easier and provide accuracy. Only reason I keep CA glue around (not gonna start a fight here) is to tack something together to get perfect results.

I built our new wet bar a few weeks ago. Wife wanted it shaped a certain way and it had to fit in a really weird space. I used old 4x4s. steel "I" beam fencing posts, Gorilla glue and bondo to make a skeleton to hold everything together for assembly. The thing was 9' x 4' with all kinds of weird angles and turns. Came out to within 1/8" of perfect. It wasn't my skill at cutting and fastening (I ain't got much), it was building fixtures to hold everything where it needed to be.

Bondo: Another great tool. I avoid using it as much as possible on auto bodies but a quart of it in the shop makes a fantastic third hand. I had a 1/2 scale bagged glider wing broken in half that needed fixing a year back. With some straight edges I got everything lined up, then used dollops of bondo to nail it in place. After the foam and glass repairs were complete I just used a sharp rap with a rubber mallet to pop the wing loose from all that bondo and it made a clean .......break.......so to speak.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Katie: Don't go overthinking on us now- and BTW- Thanks fer the Kudo!
My 12' Canard (as all) wings have been built as per BoTime builds- now one thing that will kill them is lack of continuety between the joiner rods and spars (pic)it seems tedious, but that is the centerpoint of the entire aircraft- I have never done any of this carbon wrapping stuff, and as I see it, until someone who says it's a muct, will continue to refuse such tedium! after all, I do have Vid gaming to do when the wife's sleepin'!
Since my last communication, I almost exploded my mini Mac, the DXF file which was constructed in Metric, on the Tiger mac, came in @ 7 digit mm's, 15000 inches for the rib lengths! So I did some work with the beta team-
Jeff, i forgot to copy my Lazer fella before typing, so an edit is coming- He does fantastic work, and gave me theSir Regis tip ribs as a sample, I'll be going exclusively with him!
--- edit-- added my pal
http://kustomaerodesign.weebly.com/l...-services.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added url
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:07 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Sean, You crack me up! thanks! i needed that belly laugh- I'm still hurtin' from your description of my average work day- sorta with pay!
Johnny
RCG Plus Member