Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
Forgive me for another Woodie build question.

Lets say you are going to cut some shear web from 3/8ths inch thick balsa and all you have is a scroll saw with a round table... How the heck does one do that since there is no way to use a rip fence on a round scroll saw table...??

Does this make sense?
Get a piece of straight wood or maybe some angle aluminum and use C clamps (or whatever type of clamps you may have) to make a rip fence.

Alternately, I've hot melt glued a piece to the table, done my cuts then, pop it off and clean the table up with a razor blade.

Or, if you're cutting balsa just use a straight edge and razor blades. Cut oversize a bit (which you should do anyway) and sand to fit.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Last edited by seanpcola; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
OK, gotta tell the Hobie story. I'll do my best to tell it G-rated.

1987. Took my then girlfriend out for a day on the water in the 'Cat 16..

We cruise around a while out in Pensacola Bay. Wind dies way down so we decided to drop sails and drift a while. GF decides it's a great time to sun bath. After a while of her snoozing and me tracking the currents I suggest we ..............."play some Checkers".

She protests by stating that someone will see us.

I reassure her that there is no way that we can be seen since we're at least a mile from any shore. Just us, on the water, with NO ONE in sight. "No way ANYONE can see us. "It's cool, Just our little secret".

She finally agrees after some serious pleading, begging and promises.

So, we "play a few "games of checkers" and all is good. In fact I'm having an awesome day.

Girl friend decides to sun bath some more after the last round. She lays back and falls asleep.

I get bored so I grab my high end Zeiss binoculars and scan the horizon around us.

About one mile away there is a really spectacular high rise condominium with it's own marina. I look over that way to see what cool boats are docked. My scan goes back and forth along the condo until I get to the fourth floor. As I'm, perusing the balcony I see a guy with the same binoculars staring right back at me. When I zero in, looking directly in to his lenses he:

Smiles back

Waves

Gives me a huge, approving "thumbs up".

No way out. He witnessed the whole Checkers game including me crowning my Kings".

I gasp "Oh !"

Babydoll jumps up and inquires "What's wrong?"

I recover by saying something about the tide shift, the moon phase and "we'd better hoist sail and head in before we get caught in a receding tide", whatever I could make up on on the fly.

Got away with it. In fact I still communicate with her. If she ever found out the truth from that day 25 years ago she would probably still beat me to death with a lanyard.

But it was worth it. Totally. .

If I get nailed by the mods so be it. Life was (and is) good on the Redneck Riviera.
Checkers??? Sounds more like Hide and Seek, (Now you see me, now you don't. Now you see me, now you don't. Continue until game is finished )
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Get a piece of straight wood or maybe some angle aluminum and use C clamps (or whatever type of clamps you may have) to make a rip fence.

Alternately, I've hot melt glued a piece to the table, done my cuts then, pop it off and clean the table up with a razor blade.

Or, if you're cutting balsa just use a straight edge and razor blades. Cut oversize a bit (which you should do anyway) and sand to fit.
Thanks. So IOW there is no cool trick I did not know of!! I was asking because I was Jones'ing on the Mirage. Looking at my short kit I see I have no shear webs... so I was thinking how am I to make accurate cuts?

In fact however: I have the BB-XL plan copied and cut... I think thats the way to go.

I am scanning the ribs for the BB-XL (in case I need to make one). I have pinned 1/2 of a BB-XL wing plan to a piece of ceiling tile.

Sagittarius X-1 help me, I am about to commit BB-XL...
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:57 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Wow, what a prolific bunch you all are! I decide to check-in and all kinds of action has happened!! Okay, let's see if I can add something to the conversation here (that's useful/ interesting?).

Awesome pics of the Cox models Don... wow, does that bring back some memories!

Katie, what a great looking sailboat! I looked over the West Wright Potter website briefly and apparently they can fit in a garage for storage? Gotta love the size and the fact that you can tow it with a “normal” car is also handy! It looks like great fun, and I dig the size of it. Thanks for posting the pics.

I grew up sailing and was fortunate that my family had a C+C 30 to spend many days on. For a period of time whenI lived in LA I co-owned a re-po’ed Catalina 24, which was quite a bit of fun, but sailing out of Marina Del Rey isn’t nearly as interesting as some other locations, as the shoreline is kind of boring. It was nice to "get out of LA" though, and it sure looked nice from a ways out at night.

I’ve sailed everything from Albacore's to 6 meter boats and enjoy it all. My brother has a 470 class sailboat that he sails up on a lake in Ontario -north of Toronto about 2 hours, and what a boat it is! It was used in the Olympic trials, and is rigged with so much gear it’s hard to keep it all straight. Suffice it to say that when the Spinnaker is flying I’ve never sailed a boat with so much sail to hull area. She’s a handful when the gusts come! Yes, I’ve managed to get wet a couple of times while sailing (flipping?) it, and when one is out on the trapeze that’s quite a distance to go. I’m sure that Sean can probably add something about getting wet, having sailed some Hobie’s?! Those boats can sure get up and go also.

Sean - Congrats on Ashley’s success! It’s great to see what kids end up doing, and more often than not they do the most amazing stuff. I’ve got two daughters myself, and they are the most incredible people ever -no I’m not at all biased! One is an equestrian -eventer, trainer, all-around-do-whatever-is-needed horse person who lives in central PA. The other is studying dance at the Boston Conservatory at the moment. I can’t ride, nor dance, to save my life, and neither could my wife. I kept wondering about the mailman... JK!

Also Sean, we have got to meet sometime. That story of yours..., well, I’ve got one sort of the same, but I must admit yours made me laugh so hard! “crowning my kings” -yes, incredible euphemism!! I’ll buy you a beverage sometime...

Rob
who will try to "keep up" with this thread!
I'll take you up on that Rob if we ever get the chance!

Me too on the mailman thing. I still wonder how one daughter can be a natural blonde with startling blue eyes and the other look almost Native American. Funny thing is the blonde has some of my features now but the Dark skinned beauty really favored me when she was a toddler.

Hey........wait a minute! I really do think both of mine ARE mine. But the more I think about it I really don't look like my dad at all. Maybe............MOM!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna find out who the mailman was on my parents route in November 1956!

Oh crap, this gets even more twisted! My parents lived in a tiny little burg in 1956. That town had two mailmen. One was my uncle by marriage. My mom was Scandinavian but my uncle has a lot of Injun in him.
So, that would make my uncle my dad. My aunt my step-mom sort of. This goes on and on and on............ultimately leading the fact that I would be considered a ..............GASP!!!!!!!

My wife called me that one time.

HEY! What does my wife know about my family that I don't?

My head hurts from thinking.

Apparently a long sordid plot, of which I've been kept in the dark for 55 years. I'm gonna do more research. I just know that somewhere there is a multimillionaire spinster aunt that is about to croak and leave everything to me.

I'm sitting here writing this crap and I could be on my yacht in the Bahamas drinking Mai-Tais and watching bikinis, while my personal builder is knocking out Ray Hayes kits for me.

I gotta go, there is a hot tub full of Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders with my name on it somewhere.

OK, I'm back. Too tired to find that hot tub tonight. I'll get a fresh start in the morning though.

My sailboat experience is pretty much limited to the H-cat I had. I have much more time in noisy boats in the 15-28' range. I got in plenty enough trouble with them.

I was talking boats with a guy yesterday at work. He used to put in at the boat ramp directly across from my old house so we both navigated the same narrow channel many times. We got to talking about that channel. It skirts NAS Pensacola on the extreme NE edge. Very narrow, clearly marked and it twists a LOT. Add to that is the fact that if you get more than 30 yards off course to the North at one particular bend there is a rock bed made from dumped ballast accumulated back in the 17-1800s. It's very clearly marked with an oval sign stating "DANGER. ROCKS" that Stevie Wonder himself couldn't miss, not to mention the excellent job the Navy did with channel markers. A really well laid out nautical feature that is safely voyaged through a hundred times a day, every day by everything from jet skis to 12' Day Sailers to 60' Bikini barges of the rich and probably not too famous. .

Only a moron would let his attention drift while negotiating that maze late at night or early in the morning before sunrise without using a spotlight and taking fixes.

I are such a moron.

I was coming back at about midnight with my future wife aboard. I was so darn good with that channel that I needed zero input from markers. As I came around Hell's bend I split the difference between my port and starboard markers with surgical precision. A GPS couldn't be nearly as accurate as this old salt. My future bride (silly landlubber) asked if I should verify my track by using spot on the markers.

What an insult to this wizened pirate! "I can navigate this place in my sleep".

I probably would have been better off if I had tried it asleep.

I saw the vague outline of my starboard marker and decided it was my port reference, my starboard marker was in fact (and shortly to be my surprise) the "DANGER. ROCKS" sign.

I finally decided I would use the spots to merely prove to the really cute but inexperienced second mate that Captain Ahab here had this seafaring thing under control. She could show her awe over my nautical prowess later.

I lit up the spot and shined it on the starboard marker when it was about 10 yards away. Only instead of being the correct shape and showing the depth it said "DANGER. ROCKS".

OK, what silly prankster moved the markers?

I reached for the tranny control to slam it in to neutral but was about .003 seconds too late.

Ever hear the sound of money being flushed down the toilet? Sounds exactly the same as a $900 stainless steel prop trying to chainsaw through a bunch of rocks.

I got it home (no sheared key pin) but when I lifted it out of the water that prop looked like it had been, well, ground down on a bunch of rocks.

I pulled it off and took it to the prop shop. Just to make me feel a little better, the guy there, when I presented it to him for repair asked if it was the first time I had made a run through the NAS channel. It was like he could look at it and tell exactly which rocks I had nailed.
Last edited by seanpcola; Oct 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:18 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,551 Posts
Thanks fer the help Sean! While I was looking for a pic of a spar setup on my little band saw, you answered the WBQ!
( I like that one gdjsky!)
any way, when you click on thread tools, you can do a look @ pics onlymode,or other options- have a hoot on me
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236486
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Congrats on ALL the kids, Sean, you done good and I know you're proud of them. I'll be watching for Ashley. Ain't nothing like playin checkers in the sun, whatayathink ?

Those granite slabs are the cat's meow, Katie, heavy and flat....perfect.

I got laundy, pool cleaning and MoneyKote schmearing to do today....ya'll have a great Sunday!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,287 Posts
Gonna go make some balsa fly today. Probably mostly fly Willit (Spirit Elite), I need the practice. I made it so in normal mode there is no way I can accidentally put in any reflex. Now I need to set up a speed mode and a hoover mode. I already mixed a little up elevator with the crow, let's see how it does today.

Too bad the radio can't mix me some hot chocolate.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Ever hear the sound of money being flushed down the toilet? Sounds exactly the same as a $900 stainless steel prop trying to chainsaw through a bunch of rocks.
Great post Sean! I do appreciate your sense of humor! As a matter of fact, i had to read it twice, having enjoyed it so much. Sorry to hear about the stainless steel prop! It sounds like you made out alright though... you ended up with the girl!! (Nicely done )

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I got laundy, pool cleaning and MoneyKote schmearing to do today....ya'll have a great Sunday!!
Back at ya Don! I finally figured out why I'm not getting any building done. I waste entirely too much time on simple projects that shouldn't take 5 minutes. Wife came home with one of those fold out ironing boards that recesses into the wall. I think she bought it because I complained about running into the stand alone board every time I walk into the laundry room. She asked me to install it this morning. Let's see, cut sheetrock between the studs and 48" high. Slap in to hole, secure with 4 screws. Done. Total job time: 30 minutes even watching TV while I do it.

Minor problem, this unit is 14.25" wide. Easy fit for the dimensions of standard code spacing of 16" centers which should give 14.5" inside. Not the place where wifey wants the thing installed. Spacing = 14".......exactly. I grab the circular saw, tape up the wall so as not to damage the new paint. I run a line and plunge cut the stud to a depth of 2.5" x 3/8" in. I finish removing the pieces with a chisel. Finally fits. Total elapsed time 3 hours including vacuuming, dusting and debris removal.

She loves it and decides to do some ironing. "Honey, can you make a little shelf next to it? This board is a little smaller than the old one and I don't have anywhere to sit the iron".

No problemo. 15 minute job. Except, I decide to get elegant with the design. Why not make a fold up shelf inside the wall unit? I can piano hinge it so that when you open the door and fold down the board the shelf will come down with it and when you stow it back everything folds away. Really tight tolerances but doable with aluminum. So, off I go up to work and dig through the aluminum stock. Not one single piece both thick enough and of the proper alloy to break angles. Ok, I'm way into it so I'll just rivet everything together with 3/8" thin wall aluminum angle. By the time I got done reinforcing and assembling everything this shelf looks like a spar box from a P-47. Instead of painting it I left the sheetmetal in zinc chromate to give it that warbird looks. I'm sure she'll be thrilled when she sees it. Total time: yet another 3 hours.

So, I've done my woodie work and fabrication project for the day.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,645 Posts
I took out the garbage and vaccuumed Sean... Need to climb up on the roof and fix a couple of shingles, but I'm not seeing it happen today. Waiting for the new episode of The Walking Dead tonight on AMC and wishing I had some rotel dip with beef and Italian sausage in it..
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:52 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
I took out the garbage and vaccuumed Sean... Need to climb up on the roof and fix a couple of shingles, but I'm not seeing it happen today. Waiting for the new episode of The Walking Dead tonight on AMC and wishing I had some rotel dip with beef and Italian sausage in it..
Hey Hoss, I was gonna call you to see how the pre-zombie prep was going. I know you've been in suspense for months waiting for tonight. In your honor I've had The Walking Dead reruns on the living room TV all day. JJ had to go to work at 12:00. I can't figure out why she decided to leave two hours early? Surely a few exploded heads aren't any worse than Dancing with the Stars or The Voice.

Women...................can't live with them..................way too easy to gross out.

Oh, anyone reading this thread that lives in driving distance to me: The club is having their informal RC swap meet on Saturday, Oct. 27th at Fritz Field here in Pcola. Don't even have to pay an entry or table fee. Just deal out of the back of your truck or car. I won't be here that weekend but loading a buddy up to hawk some stuff for me. Hoss, if you need something or want to sell anything let me know and I'll meet you somewhere before then.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,287 Posts
Got in a lot of landing practice and trim tosses today.

The winch didn't even get put out until about ten. We were always scraping the ceiling; the sun came out just as we were all packing up and leaving.

Still, I had fun, I got to use the new hi-start (while waiting for the winch guys to quit yaking), and get a better handle on the Spirit E. I have flight modes set up now, and I'm getting a little smoother at flying it. I need to check the balance, I think it shifted back and the plane is really, really fidgety. Looks so pretty in the air.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,551 Posts
Lost and Found

I found the important ones! Long about 0420 Central, decided to conk out - I am a born again night shifter- forced on the day shift by stupidity!
sorted most negatives and emptied the kitty crime box, Goofy Lion wants to mess with my scanner, but----hold yer self down Steve and Sean- I have a 3500 mile start on ya!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Those look awesome Captain!

The Gull Wing bird: You say it turned slowly. Wonder if the effective dihedral with the up then down angles kept it from turning. Can't think (again) of a proper way to express what I'm trying to say.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,287 Posts
Very pretty gullwing, Cap'n.

What's ya'lls favorite source of Kevlar tow? I'm going to need some very soon. How much fir an3-meter?