Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
447 Posts
Go Ashley! Sean, when is she putting in her officer package?
burke757 is offline Find More Posts by burke757
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Wow, what a prolific bunch you all are! I decide to check-in and all kinds of action has happened!! Okay, let's see if I can add something to the conversation here (that's useful/ interesting?).

Awesome pics of the Cox models Don... wow, does that bring back some memories!

Katie, what a great looking sailboat! I looked over the West Wright Potter website briefly and apparently they can fit in a garage for storage? Gotta love the size and the fact that you can tow it with a ďnormalĒ car is also handy! It looks like great fun, and I dig the size of it. Thanks for posting the pics.

I grew up sailing and was fortunate that my family had a C+C 30 to spend many days on. For a period of time whenI lived in LA I co-owned a re-poíed Catalina 24, which was quite a bit of fun, but sailing out of Marina Del Rey isnít nearly as interesting as some other locations, as the shoreline is kind of boring. It was nice to "get out of LA" though, and it sure looked nice from a ways out at night.

Iíve sailed everything from Albacore's to 6 meter boats and enjoy it all. My brother has a 470 class sailboat that he sails up on a lake in Ontario -north of Toronto about 2 hours, and what a boat it is! It was used in the Olympic trials, and is rigged with so much gear itís hard to keep it all straight. Suffice it to say that when the Spinnaker is flying Iíve never sailed a boat with so much sail to hull area. Sheís a handful when the gusts come! Yes, Iíve managed to get wet a couple of times while sailing (flipping?) it, and when one is out on the trapeze thatís quite a distance to go. Iím sure that Sean can probably add something about getting wet, having sailed some Hobieís?! Those boats can sure get up and go also.

Sean - Congrats on Ashleyís success! Itís great to see what kids end up doing, and more often than not they do the most amazing stuff. Iíve got two daughters myself, and they are the most incredible people ever -no Iím not at all biased! One is an equestrian -eventer, trainer, all-around-do-whatever-is-needed horse person who lives in central PA. The other is studying dance at the Boston Conservatory at the moment. I canít ride, nor dance, to save my life, and neither could my wife. I kept wondering about the mailman... JK!

Also Sean, we have got to meet sometime. That story of yours..., well, Iíve got one sort of the same, but I must admit yours made me laugh so hard! ďcrowning my kingsĒ -yes, incredible euphemism!! Iíll buy you a beverage sometime...

Rob
who will try to "keep up" with this thread!
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
The way I do it is to carefully sand a little at a time and keep test fitting till it looks like I have the optimum fit. I've also tried guesstimating where the scarf angle will end spanwise along the piece and draw a line, then sand the angle up to that point. Does that make sense? I suck at trying to describe something. I'd probably be great at rewriting electronics user manuals converting from Chinese to English.

One thing I did on the last couple of builds was to just sand the angle a little and laminate a piece of .007 CF by 1/4" wide between the two pieces. When it comes time to sanding the black CF acts as a guide so you can get a consistent taper. It also helps keep the TE straight and ding free.
No no... that makes good sense. The BB-XL has that oh so famous looking trailing edge which makes it tad more challenging. The CF line makes good sense as well. Given where that curve is in the wing (it the tip panel), that two could be a bit of a challenge. And given where (on the plans away) the rib's trailing edges end, I am not sure how much room there is left for a strip of CF. But you did say 1/4 inch so that is pretty thin.

As I understand it, you are saying the CF is not a sandwich but adhered to the bottom ahead of the scarf angle and use that as a line for forward most location of the bevel on the bottom. IOW the CF is not even with the trailing edge but a bit ahead of it.

Did I describe that as well as you did? So many people have done it, it must not be hard, but sounds like it is.
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Wow Sean! That is pure simple much better than this(pic 1) Plus congrats on Daughter, looking forward to viewing
and these are woodies too --others--
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757 View Post
Go Ashley! Sean, when is she putting in her officer package?
Hey Randy,

I'm still mad that I didn't get to see you when you were in town. All my fault, tied up with family stuff.

I really don't know the details on Ashley's stuff but I don't think the officer stuff is coming up any time really soon. I think it's more long range.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Jeff,

I'll see if I can find a picture of one I did or something similar on here.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
This is a great thread!

I'd alike to ask Katie about the books. What's up with the carnivorous plants/pitcher plant books? In ask because I have an RC story that relates:

We lived for 4 years in Singapore. I had a foamie (sorry if it offends but though I am a builder I am not an elitest) e-powered Fox sailplane go down in the rainforest beyond our field. It took me three trips back into the forest to even find it, hung probably 60 feet up in a tree, next to an old railroad track clearing. I attempted my tried and true (and thoroughly tested!) method of casting a fishing line over the branch and shaking but was not successful. On one of my recovery attempts I was joined by a flying friend and his son. Native Singaporeans. As I hiked off the field towards the crash site my friend pointed down and asked if I noticed the types of plants growing at our feet. I hadn't. They were pitcher plants. I thought this was soooo cool! Meat eating plants? I'd thought I'd only see them in books or zoos/museums. Very neat.
Also got to see a pair of Hornbills alight in the very tree that held my plane. What a treat.
That plane spent 11 days in that tree. I returned to it 6 times attempting retrievals. The last time I went here I found the plane neatly tucked near the base of the tree. I suppose some workers on the old rail line, who had seen my goofy attempts to get my toy back, found it down and politely left it for me.
The plane, of course was a write off. I did get back my precious variometer. That's really why I spent the effort. It was all worth it in the end.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
Hi Sean

Congrats for you & your Daughter Ashley, sounds like she might become a A. F. lifer in todays world that might be a good way to go.

Then retire in 20 to have something new to go on to with a check each month.

When i was in the CAl. Air Guard in the mid 60's the base was full of guys & gals who were working for the state full time to run the base and the guard too on the week ends, that was a pretty good gig as you get 2 checks a month when you retire.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hey great stuff Katie with the BOT build progress you are helping to save this thread again Ha!! Keep 'em coming.

Yes, I for one am a bit miffed that Sean's daughter is spoken for... but it's probably for the best.

Great story D W, I can't imagine that happening in the States or Australia, our gliders are most likely to be stolen. So many a night has one of my slopers been stuck up in a tree and I spend any available time on a watch vigil or fashioning another way to retrieve them, but I have always expected anybody tofind it on the ground before me to take it. So, I put my phone # on all my sailplanes in the hope of it being found by some good soul.

Oh it's ok to play with foam man, dead set guilty myself!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Actually Steve, Ashley the AF chick is single.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post

Oh it's ok to play with foam man, dead set guilty myself!
Thanks. I still don't feel quite right about it but I'm working on it.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:35 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Katie II

Katie,

Take a look in the classified section here. There's a Bob Martin Katie II,free. It has a delaminated wing,but I think you could fix it. And with the name Katie II, I think it should go to you.

It's in Costa Mesa, maybe you can make a deal with him and have it shipped. Or bring your sailboat down,pick up the plane and go sailing in Newport.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:50 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Forgive me for another Woodie build question.

Lets say you are going to cut some shear web from 3/8ths inch thick balsa and all you have is a scroll saw with a round table... How the heck does one do that since there is no way to use a rip fence on a round scroll saw table...??

Does this make sense?
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:51 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,379 Posts
Very nice generous offer from a resident of a table by the sea.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Katie II: if the guy doesn't want to ship, does anyone live near Costa Mesa? Prolly not. Delam. is not a problem for us Bay Area guys.

DW, great story. I have a decent collection, and the plants are a bit of a hobby for me. I got to meet the author of those books, and all are signed. Most of my plants are the North American pitcher plants, but my favorites are the tropical pitchers, just like the ones you saw.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot