Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I was looking at the books thinking "Those books look really good, other than the white one." I have already read the Eragon books so maybe I need to pick up some of the plant ones...

I think your BOT would make a great addition to the Build off.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748715
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Last edited by UberZogster; Oct 12, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
Don, I don't have that book. Yet.

Über, find these three: "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack DeCrow", "Caly's Island" by Di ck Herman and "What the Eye Doesn't See" by Gretchen Ricker. All fabulous stories, the latter two written by friends.

Lil Stinker has discovered the TRUE use of granite:

Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,024 Posts
Useful, yes, but you just need to be careful not to take it for granite.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
*snerk* Actually Don, those two pieces are granite. A really pretty one I saved from the dumpster hers ago, with eye-shaped white inserts of mostly quartz.

Just don't ever drop it on your toes.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Useful, yes, but you just need to be careful not to take it for granite.
Groan.

OK, I'll admit Don, that was a good one.

Go Katie, go Katie! At least someone on here is gluing wood!

Oh, I have to make a public announcement. I already did down in LTUP but I'll share it with this crowd too:

Just in case you guys see the latest US Air Force Recruiting ad on TV starting October 24th look for Ashley Denton, EMT/Firefighter. That's our babygirl!

She's my step-daughter, enlisted in December 2010 and has blown through schools and ratings without breaking a sweat. Graduated #7 out of a class of over 200 in San Angelo, TX. The AF decided to do an ad with all women and chose her for the EMT/Firefighter rep. She had two fun days shooting the ad including 4 hours on Twitter. We got an advance copy of it by email last night and the wife watched it probably 200 times already. Ashley is only on there about 8 seconds but wow, she has really excelled.

Funny thing was she was such a girly-girl growing up and did some modelling when she was 16-18. A real glamour queen that never left her bedroom without full makeup and dressed to kill. She's scary smart and cute to boot. When she announced she was going to join the AF and be a Firefighter we were all , but damned if she didn't do it right!!!

Just had to share with the crowd. Just goes to show what young people can do when they put their mind to it.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
Go, girl, go! I love it!

I'll have to keep an eye out for the commercial.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:57 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Go, girl, go! I love it!

I'll have to keep an eye out for the commercial.
Just so you don't think I'm a male chauvinist pig Katie!

We have four daughters between us:

Ashley, I've already mentioned her achievements

Katie: Mine 100%. Just got promoted to HBIC (Head babe in charge) of Pensacola Aviation Center, the largest FBO at Pensacola Regional Airport. She deals with military and business aviation all day every day. Everything from athletes to movie celebrities, oversees military refueling contracts, the list goes on and on. She's been there since she was 18 YO(15 years) and knows the Biz-jet bidness inside and out.

Emily: Mine, 100%. She's a hands-on tinkerer like me. Oversees a dental prosthesis lab. She got the modeling/details gene. True artist.

Shauna: Runs two offices of a large and local auto parts chain. Beat out a ton of guys cuz she's smarter and much more dedicated.

The boys dun good too but just wanted to illustrate that there ain't no anti-feminism going on around Casa De Seanpcola.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:02 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
OK, gotta tell the Hobie story. I'll do my best to tell it G-rated.

1987. Took my then girlfriend out for a day on the water in the 'Cat 16..

We cruise around a while out in Pensacola Bay. Wind dies way down so we decided to drop sails and drift a while. GF decides it's a great time to sun bath. After a while of her snoozing and me tracking the currents I suggest we ..............."play some Checkers".

She protests by stating that someone will see us.

I reassure her that there is no way that we can be seen since we're at least a mile from any shore. Just us, on the water, with NO ONE in sight. "No way ANYONE can see us. "It's cool, Just our little secret".

She finally agrees after some serious pleading, begging and promises.

So, we "play a few "games of checkers" and all is good. In fact I'm having an awesome day.

Girl friend decides to sun bath some more after the last round. She lays back and falls asleep.

I get bored so I grab my high end Zeiss binoculars and scan the horizon around us.

About one mile away there is a really spectacular high rise condominium with it's own marina. I look over that way to see what cool boats are docked. My scan goes back and forth along the condo until I get to the fourth floor. As I'm, perusing the balcony I see a guy with the same binoculars staring right back at me. When I zero in, looking directly in to his lenses he:

Smiles back

Waves

Gives me a huge, approving "thumbs up".

No way out. He witnessed the whole Checkers game including me crowning my Kings".

I gasp "Oh !"

Babydoll jumps up and inquires "What's wrong?"

I recover by saying something about the tide shift, the moon phase and "we'd better hoist sail and head in before we get caught in a receding tide", whatever I could make up on on the fly.

Got away with it. In fact I still communicate with her. If she ever found out the truth from that day 25 years ago she would probably still beat me to death with a lanyard.

But it was worth it. Totally. .

If I get nailed by the mods so be it. Life was (and is) good on the Redneck Riviera.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:13 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
^ Best. Story. Ever!

Brilliant euphemism, too

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
Ooohhh hoooo hooo hooo heee heeee heeee heee haa ha ha ha ha ha!

Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,114 Posts
Good one!
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:13 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
If I get nailed by the mods so be it. Life was (and is) good on the Redneck Riviera.
They do seem to ban people more than might be expected, but I doubt this is as bad as the politics and religion things... so as long as we keep it G or PG rated, I think you are good...

Hey mind if I bust in with a Woodie Build Question (WBQ)? Y'all know the Skybench Big Bird right? I was thinkin' of finally making, umm... checkers... with all that wood in the box I was sent a few years ago...

The BBXL has a trailing edge that is 'built up'. It does not use 'Trailing Edge Stock'.

Instead it uses narrow strips of balsa sheeting. One under, and one over the ribs. With me?

So I am reading the instructions... and it says to bevel the sheeting at the very trailing edge. So I pencil that into the plans and mark it with a highlighter. I am doing what Ray says to do. Read the words AND read the @#%# plans!

Question: It seems like the top sheeting would meet the bottom at an angle. The bottom is pinned flat to the board. Would it not provide more glue area to bevel the "Underside, trailing edge, of the top strip" and leave the bottom alone? Heck that may be what is supposed to happen... it's not quite clear.

Best case scenario would seem to be beveling both to make a perfect joint... but getting that angle "just so" seems problematic and MAYBE if I get it wrong, worse than just beveling the underside, trailing edge, of the top strip...

Does that make sense? I ask the Woodie Collective because all my prior builds use "trailing edge stock".
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:24 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,297 Posts
The way the angles meet up it *would* be best to bevel both surfaces. It would bring back the inner edge of both parts. I can't say how much it could weaken the TE if you only bevel one edge, but I can see your desire to do so. I was given a built up airframe with the same built up TEs. What a pain to handle -- I've cracked the darned TE several times already. But it's light, I'll give it that.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:28 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,588 Posts
Hi Gang - I was reading, getting the August/September bellylaugh,(I know October hasn't proved itself yet)Kickin' back with Rocket City Rednecks on Nat Geo,found about1000 of negatives to scan to disk across the street (drugstore with photos)
doing more diggin- remember now, we're basically still in boxes for the life's 'extras'
I'll be doing some scanning, also, as I know I have THAT Paragon shot- somewhere-- in the mean time, I guess the riot is from the need of my southside speaketh, combined with the best perfume man ever figured out- .049 fuel vapors
yepp- I saw one of those Cox dragsters go- 200 ft of line, but our gang didn't have the shut down thingy- pulled a nail for a stake right out of the asphalt! pretty amazing for a 12 year old!I got really dizzy from C lines, as now, I hear these stories of 52 ft lines- heckens, I only used 10-15'! I don't think I ever did recover from that spell

Now for the WBQ from gdjsky:
There are as many answers to this one as there are builders, I like a strong, but mostly accurate TE termination, but then the hangar rash story comes to play, and--------
One of the reasons that I've been having some Turbo Cad (Mac) crashings, is from trying to run a next to impossible airfoil in a surface extrude- any way- here's photos of the 1/16" sheetings details with a predecessor to the problematic foils- from my diggin, so enough yakety and smells, here's photos.
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
Hey mind if I bust in with a Woodie Build Question (WBQ)? Y'all know the Skybench Big Bird right? I was thinkin' of finally making, umm... checkers... with all that wood in the box I was sent a few years ago...

The BBXL has a trailing edge that is 'built up'. It does not use 'Trailing Edge Stock'.

Instead it uses narrow strips of balsa sheeting. One under, and one over the ribs. With me?

So I am reading the instructions... and it says to bevel the sheeting at the very trailing edge. So I pencil that into the plans and mark it with a highlighter. I am doing what Ray says to do. Read the words AND read the @#%# plans!

Question: It seems like the top sheeting would meet the bottom at an angle. The bottom is pinned flat to the board. Would it not provide more glue area to bevel the "Underside, trailing edge, of the top strip" and leave the bottom alone? Heck that may be what is supposed to happen... it's not quite clear.

Best case scenario would seem to be beveling both to make a perfect joint... but getting that angle "just so" seems problematic and MAYBE if I get it wrong, worse than just beveling the underside, trailing edge, of the top strip...

Does that make sense? I ask the Woodie Collective because all my prior builds use "trailing edge stock".

The way I do it is to carefully sand a little at a time and keep test fitting till it looks like I have the optimum fit. I've also tried guesstimating where the scarf angle will end spanwise along the piece and draw a line, then sand the angle up to that point. Does that make sense? I suck at trying to describe something. I'd probably be great at rewriting electronics user manuals converting from Chinese to English.

One thing I did on the last couple of builds was to just sand the angle a little and laminate a piece of .007 CF by 1/4" wide between the two pieces. When it comes time to sanding the black CF acts as a guide so you can get a consistent taper. It also helps keep the TE straight and ding free.