Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Excellent photos, Steve, thanks for sharing! Kinda throws you back to those simpler times doesn't it? Wow, I guess we all had a Cox PT-19 Trainer. Here's a pic i found on the net to flash your brains. After I rekitted mine twice, I bought a Cox Sopwith Camel and really had a good time with it.

The Pt-19 wing, IIRC, was fairly stiff plastic and although very fuel proof, broke like glass. The Camel was a much more durable and softer plastic and would perform inside and outside loops like a mutha.

Thanks for reminding me of these fun times, made my Friday!

P.S. Just saw a NIB Camel on eBAy for $250!!!!!!!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
LOL Seems that Cox was the leader in beginning motor modeling for sure back then. I had forgotten about their Stuka. How many of you remember the Cox .049 powered dragster? Now there was a car that would haul patootie in a circle!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
You guys are actually making me jealous. Y'all know what MY first plane was.

My second, a Radian, and my third:

Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Rob, that sail goes on my '77 West Wight Potter. They're still in production- a good little boat, much like the Gentle Lady. Will go anywhere, put up with anything, and still keep you dry.

Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
At Christmas time we sold a ton of those Cox plastic planes at the hobby shop, hard to keep in stock.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
scaflock,

I remember the dragster. Never saw one running though. I'll bet it was fast & bet you neede to stay behind it once let go.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,103 Posts
Looks like fun.

Ah, West Wight Potter. I remember, nice boat.
I was a Montgomery Marine 15' fan myself, along with the 17', 23' and various dinghies, for many reasons. Some could be I worked for Jerry for a few years back in the early 80's in SoCal with some tooling, much fabrication and production, along with way too much delivery ( "On the Road Again....") My personal favorite was my Panther, #23 of #24, that I built and sailed. Think of a oversized Laser that two can haul to the water yet carry four and scream. Lyle Hess designs live on.

They all had wood somewhere.

Jared
ShellBack
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jcstalls; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Not just the balsa, but the earlier models, like mine, had plywood backing on the bottom of the hull.

Guys: I'm going for it. I have he table cleared, the building board out, and he kit box is open. Woo hoo! Let's build a BoT.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
Jeff-

The dragster I had ran on a straight string with a little bead that would trip the chute and shut the motor down. Well, one time the motor didn't shut down....kinda looked like Pokey .

Katie-

I'm green here! I've never had a sailboat but my cousins did and we had a ball with it. Great pics! looks like you're having a super time. Bring on the BoT, girl, we need some balsa pics on this thread!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Holy crap. It's Friday? I totally lost a day here, thought it was Thursday.

Here's a beginning balsa shot:

Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:19 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
Don, 6 Gs and a drive over and back, and the red one's yours. That is if Steve doesn't beat you to it.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
When I get to the photos I'll show my Cox Mustang CL. I also had the dragster like DonW and also the Free flight (Free drive?) Cox Dune buggy in orange metalflake. You just fired that one up, sat the wheels for whichever turn radius and direction you wanted and let er rip. That one was fun at the beach since bouncing over dunes would change it's direction instead of just one continuous circle out in the street.

As for sailboats, I had a Hobie 16 in the 70's and 80's. We have a Laser stored at work that I'm supposed to go over while I'm resting at work this winter. also have an AMF Sunfish that I repaired the gelcoat on, replaced the rubrails, most hardware, refinished the rudder and tiller and ordered new sails for that I was so proud of when completed. Just cute as a bug and looks brand new. Boss hasn't gotten it wet yet..

I've got a funny Hobie Cat story I'll share later but gotta figure out how to tell it appropriately on this forum.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
Ok, so we know Katie sails a boat and Sean has had a go at the tiller. I own a Capri 14.2 and I get out on it less than I should. So who else out there sails when they are not flying sailplanes?

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
I see a HUGE stack of books and canned goods on the building board. It must be fuse doubler laminating time.

Yes, that's a copy of Chapman's, the "Boating Bible". Lots of good reading on the table (except the white one-that's Dory's book), though the pitcher plant one's get a little dry.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
I have a Capri Cyclone 13 out in the barn that is down for repairs (and has been for quite a while - a debond between the deck and the hull, plus some cosmetic stuff). For our first date I took my wife out for a ride on it.

We also have some R/C sailboats in the attic (a couple 36/600 "Pea Pods" and a 50/800 Marblehead, plus some original designs).

However, between the workload for DJ Aerotech, Monarch Luthiers and a couple of day jobs, I'm afraid there hasn't been much time for sailing (models or full-scale) for quite some time.

So, Katie, do you have a copy of "Skene's Elements of Yacht Design" in your collection?

Also, if you visit the Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic, Connecticut (do I get extra word points for using "Connecticut" in a sentence?), they sell prints in the gift shop/book store of the plans for most of the boats in their collection.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Oct 12, 2012 at 07:41 PM.