Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:45 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
my crashes don't look too bad... Until i stop jumping up and down on the wreckage...

Darth dumbard... :d
That's too funny !
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Oh, you guys! Y'all are the ones that gave me the idea. I have since decided to use a thinner plastic, this stuff is HEAVY!

That's a pretty nifty idea. I may make some from FG over the weekend and see what they come out as.
Lacquerhead is online now Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:52 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Wayne is correct. Every time I've torn one up I grab the pieces and decide it's not worth the trouble to rebuild. After sitting a week the damage always looks less daunting.

I used to get a real kick out of repairing broken up birds. More than once I've pulled a glider out of the dumpster at our field, brought it back to life and gave it back to the owner. I did that mainly to prove a point that anything can be fixed.

I had a buddy that got started in soaring about 12 years ago. He was all about buying ARFs and didn't believe one could be fixed after a major mishap. He brought a virgin BOT out one afternoon (yes, one of those crappy GP versions with the shear webs running the wrong way). He didn't bond the elevator servo in properly and on launch from a highstart it porpoised then got dragged screaming down the field shedding parts as it went. I told him "we" could fix it but he refused to consider it. Threw everything in the trash. Over the next week I repaired it, including correcting that ridiculous spar, then recovered it in white and jade green metallic instead of that ugly orange-ish color they come with I also did some major mods to the control linkages and such. Actually dropped about 6 ounces AUW IIRC. Took it out the next weekend. He arrived with yet another BOT ARF. I showed him that one and told him that it was one I had scratch built a couple of years ago. My buddy drooled over it so I let him fly her. He tried to buy it off me but I refused.............until the end of the day when I told him it was actually his. I tried to just give it back to him as I did it as a gift but he refused. I think Hoss has it now unless he paid it forward to someone else.

Damn, reading back on that story I just realized I used to get a LOT more building done in a short time than I do now?
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:59 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
Sean, that's hilarious!

When my plane got wrecked last year (I didn't do it!), I lost two ounces in the repair.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:13 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Well, I'll have to check my trash bag full of Oly wing bits and see if it's back together . Bag looks to be the same size though .
I think the key is to have multiple parts of airplanes left alone in a dark closet. Results may vary depending on type of airplane and/or socks left to multiply.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:16 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hi Rob, Nice looking nose on that Oly. So tell me, what's on the other side of of that little spinner? Did you finally find a home for the orphaned Pulsar power plant?

Wayne
Good memory Wayne, wow, I'm impressed! Yes, the NEU 1105 is going in there and will be perfect for it (I hope!). Also, after hearing of how sailplanes seem to mend themselves if left alone after a crash..., I wonder if that Pulsar is sitting in one piece somewhere in a dump
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:37 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
I think the key is to have multiple parts of airplanes left alone in a dark closet. Results may vary depending on type of airplane and/or socks left to multiply.
OK, I have it figured out. My stuff isn't in the dark. I thought about that when I put windows in the cave. All along my problem has been sunlight. This weekend I'll black out all of my windows (shades of WWII) and let the healing begin.

What I'm actually waiting for is my crew of grand kids to get old enough to wield X-acto knives and use various chemicals. Once I get there, with some training, I can fly and crash at will, never worrying about the consequences or repair time.

Picture an evil Santa Claus, whip in hand, beating the elves and screaming "get that OIII finished......TODAY!".

Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:04 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Hi Gang! Came home to an excellent Email today- now, Jeff, don't get too jealous of the paint on the ground there's a groove deeper than i am tall, and swallows jeeps!
Rob! Absolutely Outstanding colors on the stretch nose C! I'm impressed
MRCSS - David's ASW-19 and the GoPro.wmv (4 min 16 sec)
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:02 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,449 Posts
Inexpensive and light servo fairings. I really need to make my own vac-form table.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=315
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:38 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,224 Posts
THAT'S what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:38 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
Inexpensive and light servo fairings. I really need to make my own vac-form table.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=315
The better half and I occasionally go to yard sales and collectible/junk shops looking for odd knick knacks to use in the house. I've been keeping my eye out for a Mattell Vacu-form. I had one when I was a lot shorter and it would be ideal for fairings.

Come to think of it I may have to go to my dad's house and dig around, mine may still exist. He saved practically every toy I ever had. Being a retired chemist he's AR bordering on OCD (Dad, I mean that in a good way) and has all of my stuff in sealed plastic boxes, labeled as to content, condition, subject matter, date received, date stored and probably has a software program that has everything cataloged.

If I find it or one like it maybe we could each own it for a while, make up what we want and then pass it to the next member. Wouldn't cost much to ship.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:41 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Sean-
If Santa ever falls off your roof, DON'T put on the suit .

Tim-
I'll try the dark closet trick with the plane bits and maybe throw in some moist rye seed and shroom spores. Will prolly come out covered in psychedelic tie dyed silk .

Cap'n-
Thanks for the video, it started my morning on a great note, watched it twice already. What a beautiful field, I need to find a place like that .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:29 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,376 Posts
Yeah- green is one of the good things around here- this was 48 hours and 140 miles south of 4-6" snow!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Address
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Sean-
If Santa ever falls off your roof, DON'T put on the suit .

I'm not there yet but if my wife doesn't get back to work full time and I keep eating her home cooking I may well not fit in Santa's pants.

One last visit of a previous non-related subject:

Hoss, Ask Kat if I can borrow Duffy for Halloween.

Today, while I was busy at work doing something somewhat dangerous requiring my full concentration and focus on the task at hand my mind kept drifting to the Duff Dog.

Here's what I want to do: Dye his fur black. Have wife corn-row his nose and ear fur. Tighten up the rest of the Dreds down his flank. Install an MP3 player on his collar that alternates between Bob Marley's Greatest Hits and a deep voice saying "Hey mon, tro da ball, mon" in a heavy Kingston accent. I'll also hang a bag of bling (tennis balls painted gold) around his neck. The packing in the shape of a spliff. I'll dress up as a zombie and the wife as a voodoo momma and every time a Trick or Treater comes up my driveway I sling a tennis ball at them. With a little luck I'll strip the basket on their goodie bag and enjoy the fun that ensues when a 10 year old dressed like a Power Ranger attempts to ward off the Rasta-pooch.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
johnny.... What paint are you talking about? AS long as they're not using the Balsa Brewers name and logo I'm not worried. Once the new headquarters is found I plan on having the name and logo visible from Google Earth!

Just a heads up guys, but I may be taking a trip out to San Diego pretty soon which means I'll be off line for the duration. Might try to take at least one or two models with me and get some air time in at Torrey Pines. Mid week flying at the pines should be nice and clear of hang gliders and para-sails. I'll try to get pictures if that happens.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock