Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:55 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,673 Posts
Hi Rob!
What all this about stretching the Chrys's nose! Get 'him while ya can Don C'mon!
Truth now, Rob, Hows your Chrysallis collection? I was off base a bit tonight, listening to some 'Danger will Robinson' about the economy-- yechhh-
At least the wife is reasonable with me- not so much the boss- 14 hr day!
Watch that antannae wiring Katie! I gotta communicate for a fantastic landing pic
(now) seeya!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:31 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Welcome Rob! You poor soul, another lamb going to slaughter . Like's been said, a sailplane with a mustache is OK here but you might get a little grief from the purist snobs (I'm one of them but Jack's the snob overlord) . Not really, each to their own.

We are all big fans of Mr. Hayes' kits and I for one would love for you to post some build pics of this O2SX....please! I really like this version with the through-the-fuse rod, should be a great ship.

Stinker, I knew what that was when I saw it this morning but I went to bed on time last night whilst you all were up posting 3 more pages....don't ya'll ever sleep?

I'm sorry about your Spirit, this is the first I've heard about the tumble. They're pretty darned durable though. I was out with my 2m on a much too windy day and it got picked up off the ground and like a tumble weed, it was rolling across the field . Only a pushed in leading edge on the port wing.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:41 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Rob, are you going to Visalia this weekend?

As long as my grape juice is fresh squeezed I'd be delighted to sample the grapes. Yummy!
Thanks for the reminder about Visalia. I've always thought of going but for some reason I never have. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it this weekend, but may see if I can at least drop by to check it out.

As for grape juice of the unfermented type... wine grape juice is some of the most incredible stuff you will ever taste. It's much sweeter (naturally), and has spectacular flavor too. Unfortunately, it's far too valuable as wine, otherwise you'd see it in stores for sure!

Thanks, and I may see you this weekend and if I don't have a great time!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Hi Rob!
What all this about stretching the Chrys's nose! Get 'him while ya can Don C'mon!
Truth now, Rob, Hows your Chrysallis collection? I was off base a bit tonight, listening to some 'Danger will Robinson' about the economy-- yechhh-
At least the wife is reasonable with me- not so much the boss- 14 hr day!
Watch that antannae wiring Katie! I gotta communicate for a fantastic landing pic
(now) seeya!
Hey Captain! It's been far too long... Yes, I did stretch the Chrysalis nose 1.75" and in the process was able to go with a much lighter battery and in total removed about 150 grams from the total weight of the fuse. I must say, she flies so much better, in my opinion at least. Don actually weighed in on the idea and gave a few pointers which I took to heart - I'm no idiot, ask the expert! I've attached a pic or two for you...

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome. A little clarification..., when went to College in Pasadena Ca. I flew pure sailplanes from a hi-start at the Rose Bowl for a few years. It was nice to have space to do that... well, I'm a purist at heart, but the convenience factor of electric is handy. My challenge is always to build the e-sailplanes as light as I can!

As for the OLY II SX... here's a couple of shots of the nose of the fuse taking shape, along with the final rough sand. I need to complete the wings before final shaping. Also, in the interest of keeping the tail as light as possible, I'm trying a built-up version of the tail surfaces, as opposed to the solid pieces that Ray provides. The wood Ray provides is incredibly light and I'm not sure if I can get built-up versions any lighter, but it's a fun exercise anyway. Maybe I'll throw in a shot of them so far too...

More to come, and thanks again!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:17 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Rob, I found some at a winery down by San Lois Obispo. I'm sure there are other wineries out there that bottle it, hopefully some a little closer to home.

The Spirited cartwheel happened about a month ago. It was the result of a botched downwind leg (naturally) that got out of hand, and I used the right stick to try to correct the plane. :headwall: I wasn't so upset about the crash, it was an easy fix and the silk was undamaged, I was more upset that the little video camera ran out of battery right before the crash. Still, broken planes do most of the repair work themselves, if left alone long enough, so I let it do that, and finished it last night.
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:46 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Well, I'll have to check my trash bag full of Oly wing bits and see if it's back together . Bag looks to be the same size though .
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:33 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
I'll have to check the shop tonight. The scale job in my avatar has been sitting for three years now while I wait for it to regenerate.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:39 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
And maybe my lost 2m Lil Bird is slowly regenerating in its sugar cane field, being surrounded as it is buy plantlife organic matter, assuming someone in the world has not mistaken it for packaged granular sugar and consumed it already.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:50 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Somehow I think Stinker's yankin us....whata ya think ?

Hey Stevers, I read a thread where an ole boy was able to see his van and plane on the field he was at from satellite images. With the updates occuring more often now, It's almost a viable way to look for lost sailplanes.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:02 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
If you wait a little while, sometimes the damage doesn't look as bad as it did at the field. Those shattered ribs can be quick-CA'd together to make templates, and spars, stringers, and sheeting can be easily R&R'd.

Of course, I am fond of jigsaw puzzles. YMMV
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm with Katie on this one. My broken planes always look less damaged than I remember them to be after they have sat in the garage for a little while. I always wait for the emotion to fade before making any final decisions about repairability. I think it is the sound of breaking/splintering balsa at the time of the accident which jades our feelings and impares our judgement.

Wayne

"Every launch is a leap of faith, every landing a sigh of relief"
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
My crashes don't look too bad... until I stop jumping up and down on the wreckage...

Darth Dumbard...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Careful there Darth, stomping those carbon jobs can be hazardous. Razor sharp carbon shards love the taste of blood.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,533 Posts
Hi Rob, Nice looking nose on that Oly. So tell me, what's on the other side of of that little spinner? Did you finally find a home for the orphaned Pulsar power plant?

Wayne
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Sorry guys, I'm with Katie on this one. My broken planes always look less damaged than I remember them to be after they have sat in the garage for a little while. I always wait for the emotion to fade before making any final decisions about repairability. I think it is the sound of breaking/splintering balsa at the time of the accident which jades our feelings and impares our judgement.

Wayne

"Every launch is a leap of faith, every landing a sigh of relief"
You may be right on this, Wayne. I'll get the bag down off the shelf tonight and have a peek. It seems though that I only kept the pieces for reference.