Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:52 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Welcome Rob! We love new members. However, since you live in Napa you'll be required to send us all samples of the awesome vino of that area. Six cases per member should do it. :D

Feel free to join us. We love woodie gliders, try (sometimes fail) to not take things too seriously and occasionally get some building done. Sort of a drinking club with an RC problem.

OK, just kidding on the last sentence............sort of.

We really do sometimes get useful info out and I'm confident that if you need answers one of us has them. Or, on the other hand if you want to add BS we love that too.
Hey thanks Sean... a couple of questions/ comments...
1. Only 6? Come on, think big my friend! And if you happen to show up, well, we can exceed that by a little. I know where to find more (yes, i've been known to make some too)
2. "drinking club with an RC problem" - perfect. I'm in the right place
3. I love woodies too... Iv'e got an Oly IISX underway right now. Sorry, yes, it's got a spinny thing up front. There aren't any winches nearby, and they seem to make life a little easier.
4. Anyone who wants to visit will be well taken care of, and as the Li'l stink... is close, she may be first to show up?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:54 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,757 Posts
Mmm,

A canopy on a small woodie sailplane to make a larger pilot look smaller?

Oh, I prefer fresh Oatmeal cookies with fruit, plus a few naturally occurring herbs n spices.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:56 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Speaking of being a slave to canines: The Hoss man. Thankfully he's a big ole boy cause his awesome babygirl Kat got the family into being owned by Duffy.

Now Duffy is one of those "Rebel dogs without a cause". One hundred twenty pounds of Rastafarian looking pooch that thinks he's a Chihuahua. Dreadlocks from nose to tail, goofy as a crack addict and loving as Mother Teresa. Life is good for that dog, everyone is a potential play date and his sole purpose in life is to.................

catch the ball

catch the ball

catch the ball

catch the ball

ad infiitum.

I've never seen a happier face, a harder tail wag, more slobber or greater enthusiasm for "just bein' a dog" in my life.

Duffy deserves a cheer leader award for good vibes.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:12 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Hey thanks Sean... a couple of questions/ comments...
1. Only 6? Come on, think big my friend! And if you happen to show up, well, we can exceed that by a little. I know where to find more (yes, i've been known to make some too)
2. "drinking club with an RC problem" - perfect. I'm in the right place
3. I love woodies too... Iv'e got an Oly IISX underway right now. Sorry, yes, it's got a spinny thing up front. There aren't any winches nearby, and they seem to make life a little easier.
4. Anyone who wants to visit will be well taken care of, and as the Li'l stink... is close, she may be first to show up?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Rob
OK, ply us with fruit of the vine and we'll let the spinning thingie on the front pass.

Damn, if I had a known that 6 cases wouldn't phase you I would have pushed for a lot more.

Seriously, I really understand the EP thing. I'm kind of heading that way myself..........though I'm kicking and screaming down the path. I do know it's the way to go for a lot of folks that don't have wide open spaces or a winch. Also, there probably will come a time in the next decade or so where dragging out the winch will be taxing. However, the grand daughter I posted a pic of several posts back has also been steeped in balsa dust. I have every intention of using her like a sled dog to run out lines, retrievers and trot the parachute back like a well programmed robot when the time comes.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:44 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Rob, are you going to Visalia this weekend?

As long as my grape juice is fresh squeezed I'd be delighted to sample the grapes. Yummy!

Lil Mini Stink is currently fiddling with the servo wires on my Spirit. I have it out so I can fix the cracked fuse, broken off wing root rib and peg, and fit some new custom parts. Hint hint!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,642 Posts
Hey Sean? Duff said, "ARF ARF WOOF WOOF WOOF ARF ARF"

Which either means, "You're so nice and thank you for your wonderful comments. Please come visit soon.".

Or

" THROW THE BALL! THROW THE BALL!"

He spoke quite fast and I was paying attention to the debates so I wasn't totally sure of the translation.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Now that I think of it, didn't Don Stackhouse post somewhere about having devised an all wooden spar that rivaled the carbon capped ones in strength? I want to say he did.

Wayne
Could be. It's sitting on top of the shelf in the corner at the moment. When we first designed the 3-meter Chrysalis, we planned to use carbon spar caps, since it was a given that the plane would have to tolerate winch launching. In an open class ship like this, I figure that means dealing with 300 pounds of winch line tension. However, after doing most of the engineering work for that, we discovered that there was a worldwide shortage of carbon (the French had bought it all for that new super-widebody airliner of theirs) and we could not hit our price targets.

So, back to the drawing board, this time with all wood, except for the joiners (the other given with a 3 meter is a two or three piece wing). The wing is still able to handle 300 pounds of line tension, is still thin for a wide speed range, but it's all wood. However, in spruce or something similar it would need to be nearly solid wood to have the required strength, so we did have to go to a different species. Even so, it still took a full box spar beefy enough that there is absolutely no need for leading edge sheeting.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,398 Posts
You know Don, one of these days you are going to have to throw us a bone on this 3M Chrysalis. You teased us a long time ago with a picture of the tail, how about a another little taste. You could disguise it like the car manufactures do when they road test their next year models. Heck even a long distance shot that's slightly out of focus would do. I would love to see your spar solution.

Katie - I have no idea what that even is let alone what a creative mind like yours will do with it. I look forward to the big reveal.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:19 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Oh, you guys! Y'all are the ones that gave me the idea. I have since decided to use a thinner plastic, this stuff is HEAVY!

Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:01 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Well, the Gentle Lady and the Spirit Elite are both back in flying condition. Now I just need a suitable field on which I can stretch a hi-start.

Here's our little air boss in training, checking the continuity of the servo jumper wires, followed by the repairs that needed doing on the Spirit E.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Dumb thumbs
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:13 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
I dunno Lil, but the shape looks kind of familiar and I can't place it. Too much nightshift and not enough sleep.

Stab in the dark; You are building your own Abarth and that is the headlight cover?
If Darth Vader had a mini-me, he might drive a black Fiat Abarth.

Hi Rob, most of us have had a dabble with E-gliders and I am guilty too, it's just another way to go and worth a fiddle if you have never tried them, unless you are Mr. J. Womack .
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:18 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Duffy the fearless, I remember his hairy patronage of the Balsa Brewers! - he was our ever faithful online mascot. Hello Duffy.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:21 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,870 Posts
Damn I know what that thing is, I really do!!!

Edit ; seen something just like that somewhere and it wasn't being used as a servo cover. But that is fine work Lil! very cool looking and a servo saver for certain.
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 04, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:22 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
It was a plastic spoon, now it's a servo cover prototype.

Oh, Steve? Look up a few posts. You posted while I was modifying an earlier post. You'll like it, I think.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:37 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Hey Rob! Welcome to the asylum!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock