Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,141 Posts
Joe Hahn's son is a UAV pilot, has been doing it for quite a few years now. He gets to spend about 9 months of the year as a civilian contractor in places like a Navy destroyer off the coast of Somalia, or in Iraq, or these days in Afghanistan, living in a sandy tent along with a bunch of marines, with an occasional mortar round going overhead, while his wife and family make do without him back in Ohio.

Be careful what you wish for.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:34 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Joe Hahn's son is a UAV pilot, has been doing it for quite a few years now. He gets to spend about 9 months of the year as a civilian contractor in places like a Navy destroyer off the coast of Somalia, or in Iraq, or these days in Afghanistan, living in a sandy tent along with a bunch of marines, with an occasional mortar round going overhead, while his wife and family make do without him back in Ohio.

This^^^^^^
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post

Well I am thinking more in the lines of flying UAVs for the Border Patrol/ INS/DHS. I'm a Vietnam era vet so it's not like I haven't been shot at before. I'm a little old to be deployed into a shooting war again. I'm not married and have no kids ( something that the world should be very glad about!) so it's not like that would be a problem in that respect. I've also got a friend that owns a security company and he said he'd hire me as a contractor so there are other options besides working in a combat zone again.

If nothing else, taking the UAV classes would allow me to get my hands on a real UAV for a while if for no other reason than to make a scale model of it.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Jeff, why where you sitting there asking us about this? - You should be signed up yesterday!! Either way, to me they seem like good decisions with their pros and cons, one you can crash and it will hurt you and the other you can crash and it won't hurt, hopefully.

A UAV sloper would be an curious sight up on the ridge.

edit; Sean's post #10628 was one of the funniest things I have read in a while.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:33 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post

edit; Sean's post #10628 was one of the funniest things I have read in a while.
And not a bit of it exaggerated. First time Hoss and I flew together he pulled that "sweaty naked gorilla running up behind me" thing and it scared the hell out of me in a "homophobic" sort of way. Thank god he's straight or he would be a force to be reckoned with.

All of my real friends are RC guys. Hoss is a true character and is someone that cannot abide a bully or scumbag. One time he, Keith and I were flying at a field in Mobile and heard a ruckus in the distance. Some wipe was trying to get a horse under control by roping it to a pickup and dragging it in circles, all the while the horse is tripping and being dragged around. We couldn't quite see what was happening so I grabbed my binoculars and stared in astonishment. I handed them to Hoss, he saw what was going on and took off like a rocket. He cleared the fence and by the time everyone got there.........well, the guy decided to be a much nicer equestrian. Thinking back on it the whole thing was almost funny from my perspective seeing Hoss kicking up a dust trail and clearing the fence like there was a naked supermodel waiting on the other side.

Keith is just awesome. He really goes out of his way to do things for people and when you are his friend you have a friend for life. I always have a great time around Keith too, always. He's hilarious in that British, dry understated way while always remaining cool, calm and collected. Picture the love child of James Bond and Monty Python.

Jeff is nuts plain and simple. In a good way. We haven't got to spend that much time together in person but when we do we click. If we lived in close proximity I'd probably be divorced over the crap he and I would get into.

The rest of you folks I haven't met in person but there isn't one single member that participates in this thread that I have any doubts over being 100% awesome. I really don't party much or drink like a fish as a lot of my references seem to suggest but if we all got together for a party I think things would get out of hand.

I do know we have got to get Steve-O over here at least for a little while, we'll even let him bring his better half but must warn him: An Australian hottie with that fabulous accent would have us guys making complete fools of ourselves. I know I would, I've seen me do it.

Every time my wife and I go to dinner with any of the guys mentioned or comes out to the field when we're flying she always, at some point says "you really have great friends. They're all truly good people". Of course, she's not privy to the "manly conversations" we have when no wives are present or all of us would be put under house arrest from each other by the better halves.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I would love to meet everyone. Y'all sound so fun. Good for Hoss, there is nothin' I hate more than an abuser of animals.

I have to share these with y'all. These are the decorations at the CA F&AM Grand Master's reception. Too funny!

Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Sean,

I think your missing out!

You need to write a book. You could title it "Sane and crazy,Me and my Friends" or "Life Adventures of a Sane Crazy Person" or something along those lines. You probably shouldn't let your better half read it though.

Anyone have a good title for a book by Sean?

I always look forward to reading your posts......very entertaining

Katie,

What's CA F&AM?

Eddie (aka Hog)
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:15 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Funny? Ma'am, I'll have you know I have hundreds of flight hours in the 'Streak and consider it one of the finest aviation creations to have ever taken to the skies! I learned everything there is to know about warped flying surfaces, poor balancing practices, aircraft retrieval from various tree genera and the maximum amount of winds that a #64 Sullivan rubber band (or as we called it "loop/torque powerplants) can attain before failure.
Last edited by seanpcola; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
California Free and Accepted Masons.

They're a hoot to hang out with, though the meetings and degrees are off limits to me. Darn. These guys do a LOT of work for various charities and schools. This year they termed up with the "Raise a Reader" program. We're going to find out tonight what the new Grand Master's program will be. He's an aviation nut. (that won't have anything to do with the program) Two years ago it was something to get as many veterans to go see the WWII memorial in DC, this year was (and still will continue) the books. An older one is still going on, "Masons For Mitts" giving underprivileged kids baseball mitts and stuff.

ETA: the new Grand Master's name is John Lowe, just one extra letter from a well-known glider guider, builder and designer from the Bay Area, the fellow that made my swept-wing blue thing. I went up after the dinner and told him that, and showed him pictures.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: ETA
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Oh, I could write a book about all of these RC crazies I know.............but then I'd have to eliminate anyone that read it. It would probably read more like some of those celebrity confessionals (without the celebrity of course). I honestly don't know if the soaring thing attracts crazies or it makes us that way. But, doesn't matter. I wouldn't trade this pursuit for anything in the world..........with the possible exception of a year on a deserted island with Sandra Bullock.............Charlize Theron..............or any like kind and quality member of the fairer gender.

Actually, upon further thought I think this craziness is the ONLY thing that keeps me sane, relatively speaking of course.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:18 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Jeff is nuts plain and simple. In a good way. We haven't got to spend that much time together in person but when we do we click. If we lived in close proximity I'd probably be divorced over the crap he and I would get into.
What the heck are you doing Sean???? Trying to ruin my perfectly bad reputation???

One of the few regrets I have about moving across country is that I know it's going to be a long time before I have a chance to see Sean and Hoss again. Both are great guys. Sean and I think alike and are usually so far out of the box with our wilder ideas it's a little scary.

I could see Sean and I as neighbors. He and his MUCH better half over for an Irish BBQ, suds flowing in moderation and maybe finish off the evening with a touch of my private stash of Scotch. I'd work hard not to get Sean in trouble with his wife because they've got one of the best relationships I've ever seen. All of us would be doing great if we had clones of Seans wife. Of course if we were neighbors, I start drooling at the thought of the models we could put out between our respective shops as well as the team efforts!

I have to agree with Sean on another point as well. We've got a GREAT group of folks that hang out on this thread. I look forward to meeting more of you as time allows and of course once I get the new place and flying field set up, all from here are welcome to stop by at any time.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:20 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,681 Posts
A nice day after all

It took almost 2 hours to pry the wife out of bed, arriving @ Boss's house to hang doodads, blow up H balloons etc. Lady was lounging in a huge- I mean like enough length to test launch a 2 meter bird long/triangular yard- first time for all day as she wanted in over 2 years she was pooped from relaxin'!
I thought my situation was goofy- average of 1 trip for wife to VAMC, annually for me, but a) the boss owns the home,b) is living with ex girlfriend, c) daddy to baby had by ex's niece!
Any way, a Handshake to ya Jeff- I'm a 'Nam Vet myself, with papers to prove
about all the politics I want was tonight's veiwing of' Battle for Terra'- standard political message obvious to viewers, but kool art
during which, I glued a bottom surface to a 2 meter canard type- tomorrow is actuations of empenage of another war horse
there have been lots of requests for video of my stuffin' Little bit into the Sailaire, so that will be some humor to look forward to! If I had kept my mouth shut, wife wouldn't know anything about it as my bird storage is in the garage storage
More torments later Gang! I think that story of Hoss and the horse dummy is funnier than my wife biting a dog catcher! ( more upon requests)
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:57 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Requesting more!

Your wife BIT the dog catcher?!?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:02 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Requesting more!

Your wife BIT the dog catcher?!?
Beat me to it. Bit the dog catcher? I like this lady already.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Katie, here's Keith's new Abarth. 5 days old and already splattered with Arkansas zombie insects.