Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,046 Posts
My two cents to this nice thread.....and beautiful sailplane classic desing....
ULTIMATE´S BIRD OF TIME STEP BY STEP PHOTO CONSTRUCTION, COVERING AND FLYING. (36 min 44 sec)

Manolo...
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,950 Posts
Hi Manolo

Neat colors , go well together too along with nice trim work.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hey Steveo,

Bisbee isn't the end of the world, but you sure can see it from here. We're only a couple of miles north of the Mexican border tucked away in the S.E. corner of Arizona. There's only one town between us and the New Mexico state line. Of course once I buy the new place I'll be a bit further north and much closer to Interstate 10.

You could kind of consider Bisbee the "Coober Pedy" of Arizona. Only we live ABOVE ground and have a huge pit style copper mine instead of opals. Seems to me that the mine pretty much runs the town for the most part although there is a good tourist trade here. Lots of tourist trap shops etc.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,304 Posts
This business with Frog reminds me of a customer friend I had when working at the photo shop. She and I would chat weekly, and even sometimes as I walked by her house on my way to work.

Then one day she came in dressed in a raincoat and dishgloves, and touched every. Single. Item. In the store. She was nevr the same after that, and never remembered me.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
Frog can't post?! That's worse news than my hemerrhoid!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Me too. You start getting into religion and politics and people are going to get mad and say things they shouldn't...
Yup. Big ten-four on that one... I work as a night manager at a bar and you really don't want to have a go at either subject unless its in a fairly general vein.

Our current mob upstairs have done some very unpopular things in their term so its not too hard to get people to agree with you to be honest!

View this for an accurate representation of current Australian politics. By the way, its crude, rude and most likely both hilarious AND offensive.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...14151360_n.jpg

- boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Thank, Mr. Mac, I really had no idea there existed a tester for servos. I really don't want any more gadgetry if not absolutely needed. I'll do as you suggest and just observe their function under load.

Did you read about FrogTard getting perm banned? I can't believe the mods would kick someone out for voicing their opinion in the off topic politics forum, that's what it's for. Froggy's a good builder and pilot...what a shame....
It's a good way to make sure that only your opinion is heard. After all, only one side counts, right?
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Jeez, I go on a road trip for 3 days and all hell breaks loose. Full frontal nudity, Salem witch hunts (Froggie) and so on. 'll probably miss something but:

Servo testers: Absolute MUST-HAVE! Makes building linkages and setting up a new model a snap, too many virtues to mention. I also like to cycle new servos (or older suspect ones) on mine for an hour or so to see if they puke on the ground instead of in the air. Everyone NEEDS one. I have an expensive one and a $15 cheapie and so far the cheap one works just as well as the high buck version. I keep a spare in my TX case for troubleshooting at the field. If the thing could cook I'd dump my wife. OK, kidding about that but it is a "Must have" tool.

Thermalling naked: The Hossmiester does it, sort of. We're both cargo shorts, sneakers and T-shirt guys but he really hates to wear anything in the summer. When we go flying to together Hoss jumps out of his Jeep, slaps his glider together and then the T-shirt, shoes and socks go flying first. He says he can feel thermals and wind shifts better through his leg and chest hairs..............and I believe him. It's at the same time funny to watch and a beautiful thing to behold. I'll pull out my mid-price DLG and sling it up to maybe 120'. . He gets back way downwind and starts running (Hoss LOVES all the old HLG stuff from the early-mid 90's) and as he comes by me he throws that thing like an NFL quarterback. You can hear Monocote flapping and glue joints creaking (and I think the glider itself is squealing) as it climbs to impressive heights. I'll be coming back down into a landing while, in the same air he's sniffing along and staying up. I swear he's a thermal god at 5-30'. First time I saw him do it I was already at the field and way up in a thermal. I didn't hear him pull up, get out, strip or set up. I was just peacefully circling and oblivious to anything going on. All of the sudden I feel the ground shaking, something coming towards me at the speed of a stampede and then something fly by my ear at Mach 2, followed by this gorilla with a tx in his hand. Scared the hell out of me. Some naked hairy dude running amok in close proximity to myself had me.........concerned, until I realized who it was.

I did get to spend yesterday morning and the early afternoon with the crazy Brit (Keith). Katie, I'll post a picture of K's new toy, you'll love it! Last Friday he bought a Fiat 500 (Abarth model), turbo charged, Black on black, cool wheels and every electronic doodad offered. It even includes a one day driving class with a pro driver which he's going to at the end of the month in Dallas, TX. Nothing like screaming through switchbacks in the AR hills with no guardrails while Keith talks in that calm, understated British dialect as I'm praying that he remembers we drive on the right in the USA. . That little sumbich goes like stink and handles like it's glued to the road. I want one........bad!

Froggie ain't the only one in the hot seat. I know I should keep my opinions to myself but I'm also about 3 points away from a perma-ban. I tend to take my politics really serious and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut. Wife has me on probation right now and I'm not allowed to watch any more news until Nov. 7th.

To expand on Don's question about servo reliability, Steve's suggestion is the best. Put a load on them and you can usually feel if a tooth is chipped but the best way is to throw them in something you ain't in love with and see if they work under hard air loads. However, sometimes the aforementioned gremlins won't show up for a bit. A loosened solder joint may not show up for a while but, having said that I have had very few servo failures in my time, even ones re-used after a crash unless it was obvious damage.

That reminds me of the time I sent a few off to JR out of a 1/3 scale job that went straight in from about 800 feet. I took a chance to see if they could be fixed since they were expensive digitals. I got a call from the service department when they arrived. The repair tech asked "What the hell happened to these things? I've never seen so much scrambled eggs inside a case that didn't have a scratch on it!". .
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Last edited by seanpcola; Sep 28, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,591 Posts
What a week!
I went back 6 pages just to make sure I was trackin' with all, as all of my (dayshift supposed to be) days are joined into one long session of no fun & not much flyin'. Sean's type of work is just like mine- we can compete for the stupidist boss award, as I will shut that up before any bannings!
1) the whole shop HAS to go to a baby shower, no one is allowed non attendance
2) Wife can't figure out how to answer a telephone- must be the combination of remicade and methadone- instead of morphine-
3) Wife can't figure where 1,000 bucks went- I do know where 165 bucks went
I got to a MRCSS meeting last night, came home with an 80 %completed Sailaire
for 25bucks! heck- I had that in my lunch cash!
Can't cash today's check till Monday due to whatevers (comes to 9 bucks /hr when ya figure salary X 70hr work weeks
I'll up that last Outer Limits raise with Jacobs Ladder ( could only watch it once)
Bottom Line Question::
I s the Sailaire considered a woodie?
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,304 Posts
I think I need a servo tester.

Sean, I got to test drive the black and red Abarth used in the "Seduction" commercial. I stalled it three times. They are a blast to drive, and a difficult to keep up with. When the club goes on drives, I don't know where the Abarths place, but a regular new 500 will keep up right behind the X-19s. Then come the 124s, then our little 131, then the more sedate 124 drivers, followed by the Yugos.

We will get an Abarth, eventually. First we need to sell Dory's West Wight Potter, then use those funds to finish reassembling the FIAT 850 sedan, then comes decision time. Keep the 131 or the 850? The sale of one will help fund a new Abarth.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Captain C, My boss is an awesome dude, no complaints there and he takes good, really really good care of me financially. The Sailaire is definitely a woodie and $25 is 10 cents on a dollar for what a kit goes for. Boss and I have about 9 all together not including unstarted kits. Awesome gliders. They are called "Whaleaires" in jest but they'll thermal on a whim.

I married a CPA for just that reason, she can tell me where every penny is every minute with three active computer screens monitoring everything. I can joke about models, people and places but you do NOT screw with big daddy's funds.

That Abarth Fiat is way too much fun wrapped up in a tiny package, kinda like a grenade. I'm used to Keith always driving the biggest damn SUV he can find. He's driving a full dress out Armada for work but when he showed up at the motel I was staying at with that Fiat I thought "". He bought it for a weekend plaything and he done good, it IS a blast. I cannot believe we aren't in jail.
Last edited by seanpcola; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:58 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,963 Posts
Your very fortunate and blessed Sean. Honest hard work and commitment sometimes pays off.

On servos testers, please get at least two. One for the one your cannot find and the other for the you can. I still use old Astro Fight units. Simple yet solid.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,076 Posts
Yep Jared, the Astro-Flight units are great! And having one for the bench and one for the field is mandatory.

On the job front: Yep, I know I'm fortunate but there has been years and years of 60-80 hour weeks (or more) to get me where I am. But, I had a goal, and so did the boss, and we got there together. Just a couple more years and I'll be laying back and spending much more time in the cave. It's worth it.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Servo testers: Absolute MUST-HAVE! Makes building linkages and setting up a new model a snap, too many virtues to mention. I also like to cycle new servos (or older suspect ones) on mine for an hour or so to see if they puke on the ground instead of in the air. Everyone NEEDS one. I have an expensive one and a $15 cheapie and so far the cheap one works just as well as the high buck version. I keep a spare in my TX case for troubleshooting at the field. If the thing could cook I'd dump my wife. OK, kidding about that but it is a "Must have" tool.
This makes me think that I may dork around with yet another Arduino app. I've already driven servos with it so that's a piece of cake. Throw an encoder on top of the servo and you can measure positioning accuracy and look for missed steps, etc. if the encoder is accurate enough. Maybe the encoder from an old mechanical mouse. I may even have one in one of the junk boxes under my desk. Hmm.....
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:50 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
I have to admit that Sean does have a very cool boss. I've never met him in person but any boss that tells ya to go do some flying in the middle of the work day has got to be alright! Of course I was never that lucky with my bosses.

I've been looking into starting the process of getting my full scale sailplane ticket and was checking out ground school classes at the local J.C. when I noticed a listing for another class. UAV pilot!!!! Now, what could be more fun than that? Getting paid to fly some big R/C plane for a living sounds like a plan to me!

I was on the way back from Douglas the other day and as I was going past the College, I noticed one of their UAVs doing touch and goes ( they have their own airfield) and stopped to check it out. Thing had about a 25-30 foot span, twin boom tail configuration and a "push me / pull you" twin engine setup. You could see the pods for the FLIR and cameras hanging off the bottom as well. Pretty cool looking UAV and though it was no Predator. it would still make for a nice scale EP modeling project.

So my fellow balsa heads..... Do you think I should sign up for the classes and with a little luck, get a job that all I do is have to fly BIG R/C planes all day? I for one could think of much worse jobs to be stuck at.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock