Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:09 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
I think Don was referring to Steve being bored with us, not me.

Plenty of insanity around my place for everyone. I swear sometimes my world is like a cross between Green Acres and the Twilight Zone. Especially lately I have dealt with some truly off center folks in conjunction with work.

I go through frenzies at work and then for a month the boss tells me to chill out and not work so hard. Suddenly' two days later he calls in a panic and we have to get something done day before yesterday. It will always be something I told him needed to be done and he told me to back-burner it cuz' "it's not crucial right now".

And then there is my poor suffering wife, having to deal with Seanpcola during a presidential election year. She will someday learn to NOT ask me what I think about something on the news or so and so's speech. When she realizes that she forgot and queried me about anything along that subject she heads for the wine fridge in my bar, preparing herself for my endless pontifications and solutions to the ills of the world.

I also drive her crazy with the little things like choosing Weezer's "Hashpipe" ringtone on my cell phone, having it always set to the highest ring level and then taking my royal time answering it.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
^ see, not enough quality man-cave time. what with the threat of politics and zombies Jeff may need to intervene and hurry you off to the desert Sean.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post

Sean, brewers, sanity Jeff? those are not words I have ever grouped together when contemplating the common league of rc sailplane builders. Shop time is fun time and anything goes!
I agree Steve. Sanity is boring.

Though I do get a lot done in the cave when I'm alone I think if all of us were together there probably wouldn't be much building accomplished.

Speaking of woodie builders getting together and doing some damage: I'll be heading out at 0 dark thirty Wed. morning to head to Hot Springs, AR for three days (work related). Unless something gets screwed with the timing I'll be hooking up with Keith (KWMTRUBRIT), the crazy former Londoner. We won't be able to do any partying since his work schedule will conflict with more than maybe a nice lunch but..................

We will most certainly make up for it in October when we meet up in Huntsville for Asher's aerotow. He and I are gonna meet up there on Friday morning, fly during the day, drink our dinner that night, fly all Saturday, drink our dinner that night and probably wake up hung over on Sunday morning just in time to drive back home. Keith is known for his exotic beers and since I drink watered down horse urine (according to Keith, Jeff and probably Steve) the shock of that dark ferrin' beer in my system knocks me on my backside.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
^ see, not enough quality man-cave time. what with the threat of politics and zombies Jeff may need to intervene and hurry you off to the desert Sean.
If you remember, Jeff showed up in my driveway on his way West a month or so ago. I kept looking at his truck and trailer and thinking "Hmmmmm, I could hook my RC trailer to the back of Jeff's, load it, throw some luggage in there and head out with him............never to return"!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Ah yes, but thats just when the best plans are hatched! - like the RC trailer road train you just mentioned, brilliant!

You are right on a number of counts, any get together would see more brewing happening than building. At first anyway.

Asher's Aerotow would probably blow my mind what with the scale that you folks do things over in the States. I'll keep an eye out for the thread here on RCG.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes, but thats just when the best plans are hatched! - like the RC trailer road train you just mentioned, brilliant!

You are right on a number of counts, any get together would see more brewing happening than building. At first anyway.

Asher's Aerotow would probably blow my mind what with the scale that you folks do things over in the States. I'll keep an eye out for the thread here on RCG.
Yeah, if Jeff's truck didn't already look like it was sweating under the load he was carrying I may have suggested it. He had that thing PACKED!

Well, if (and hopefully when) we all get together it needs to be for a week or longer so we can have at least one bender in there amongst the building.

Asher's aerotow won't be all that big, not compared to the likes of JR and such. Frankly I MUCH prefer it that way. At the big ones there's long waiting lines for a tow and too many distractions. I've already proven I can't work with a lot of distraction, proof being the scale bird in my avatar is setting in the cave in 4 large pieces right now. Plus, I like to meet and talk to everyone at a meet and it just can't happen at the big events. At meets like A's it's more like:

Sit around and BS a while
Finally announce "I reckon I'll go fly a bit"
Tow up to altitude, announce "I'm off" and walk over to some corner and just.............fly all you want.
Casually roll into in a non-busy traffic pattern
Walk out to grab the glider without having your head on a swivel and meander back to the lawn chair

At the big ones it's:

Wait and wait and wait
Your turn comes up, everyone is yelling to hurry up and hook up!
You get slung into the air like it's a drag race
When it comes time to land you're trying to time your approach against gauging (or guessing) what the other 8 sailplanes are gonna do and what the pilots are planning
As soon as your bird rolls to a stop you had BETTER have someone already on the runway edge to beat feet out there, snatch your baby up and get it the HELL OFF the runway.

Nope, I'm not built that way.

In fact I always say the best aerotow I ever attended was the 2009 Triple Tree event. Asher and I rode up in the Toterhome packed to the gills with gliders, towplanes, fishing equipment and food, lots and lots of food. We arrived on a Thursday evening, the first to get there. We had all of those hundred or so acres to ourselves. We get settled and crash for the night. Woke up early the next morning to monsoon conditions. It rained like that till Monday morning with an occasional break. Had a few guys roll in, wait a couple of hours and then drive back home. For three days we ate steak, various seafood, hamburgers, hotdogs, fresh caught Bass from the lake and drank beer or Maker's Mark in mass quantities and one foray into town (40 miles away) to hit the hobby shops.

Best damn model aircraft event I've ever attended.................what I remember of it anyway.

Got home and the wife asked if I had fun. I just mumbled something about "yeah, it was great, flew a bunch". She knew I was lying when she helped unload the trailer. When I asked how she knew she replied "There isn't a single torn up model in here. I always find at least one garbage bag full of debris".
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Plenty of insanity around my place for everyone. I swear sometimes my world is like a cross between Green Acres and the Twilight Zone.
I'll see your Green Acres and Twilight Zone and raise you an "Outer Limits"!!!! I'm about ready to go nuts thanks to the lack of action on the buy out of the California property.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Everybody in? Jeff, I'll see your Outer Limits and raise you a Pee Wee's Big Top. I just got my shop (carpeted garage with major sound system and seating) cleaned up spotless and have been trying to get Pokey going. Hell no, it's gathering place for the neighb's, wifey and a smattering of kids every damned day to sit and BS. This is MY cave with MY stuff for MY doings. I'm fixin to piss off the whole crew and apologize AFTER I get some things accomplished.

I'm about ready to sell this SOB, divorce the wife, split the proceeds and get me a nice, quiet little mobile home on PK lake and just hermit out.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Not to worry Don! There's an easy way to save your man cave! It's called "BIOMETRIC SCANNING"! Install a retina scanner on the doors to keep non-authorized personnel out of the security area and reclaim your cave! Just program it so you have to have a minimum amount of balsa sawdust floating on your eye-ball before access is granted. That's sure to keep the non-building people out for sure.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
Or,

The low-tech way, open a bottle of polyester resin 15mn before they show up....
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Oh dude, that's too high-tech. I think the "piss them off" thing would be the best, ooooor, I'll just build in the nude, without apparel that is. That should do the trick for sure .
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Everybody in? Jeff, I'll see your Outer Limits and raise you a Pee Wee's Big Top. I just got my shop (carpeted garage with major sound system and seating) cleaned up spotless and have been trying to get Pokey going. Hell no, it's gathering place for the neighb's, wifey and a smattering of kids every damned day to sit and BS. This is MY cave with MY stuff for MY doings. I'm fixin to piss off the whole crew and apologize AFTER I get some things accomplished.

I'm about ready to sell this SOB, divorce the wife, split the proceeds and get me a nice, quiet little mobile home on PK lake and just hermit out.
Far out Don, does this mean you have forsaken the upstairs workshop with the door sitting on the stair rails? That was so austere it was kind of cool!

You tell them mate, you are to old to be ..... whipped and ankle bitten everyday

(yeah I work a 9.5hr night shift most days now)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith1 View Post
Or,

The low-tech way, open a bottle of polyester resin 15mn before they show up....
Gotta run with M.Smith on this one. tried and true, proven system. Polyester resin is a natural wimmin repellant. You can also add into the mix some MEK fumes. Acetone will NOT work, smells too close to fingernail polish remover.

My cave is a separate building from the main house. When I finished the wife asked if it uses the same keys as the house. I of course replied "Nope". She then asked "Are you gonna keep keys hidden around to get in?". Again, "Nope". She once again broached the subject "Am I going to be able to get in when you aren't around?". A final "Nope".

The reason I am this way is not that I am selfish or don't want my wife nosing around. I trust her...........only. History shows, however, that her kids think paying storage fees is below them. At our old house they filled an 8 stall barn to the brim with their useless junk in 2 weeks flat. I stayed POed for years and when time came to sell that place and buy this one I gave them a one month warning to vacate. It literally got down to 24 hours before I turned in the keys on that place and no one had moved a thing. So, the Saturday morning before we moved I brought home our largest dump trailer and parked it next to the barn. Took a photo and emailed it to all of the kids with the statement "The Sean Express will be pulling out tomorrow morning at 7:30 on a non-stop direct to the county landfill. Anyone not wanting their possessions to make this trip had better get their over here with a truck and trailer (one for each participant) and start loading". Two hours later the backyard looked like a car lot and someone had kicked an anthill. Problem solved. New shop/storage building with zero access for anyone except myself. Another problem solved.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Hey Stevers!

LOL, nope, the glass wang table is still upstairs but all else is in me cave. I assemble upstairs then bring to the cave for sanding and other dirty work. I was sanding a bit upstairs but dude, that B dust spreads like wild fire . Missy didn't cotton to that. Yup, I'm just going to run them out and tell them to go play somewhere else.

Hey, 9.5 hour nights ain't too bad there, buddy. At least it's steady and you can routine yourself a bit. I've worked all shifts throughout my life and 3rd shift was the only I really didn't like. Hang in there and you'll have days before you know it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:21 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Acetone will NOT work, smells too close to fingernail polish remover.
LMAO! That's too damn funny . That's the way you do it, Sean, force the issue about their junk and stand by your words. I would love to have seen the looks on their faces when they were sorting through their own sh_t. I'll bet you still had to haul off a trailor full.