Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:11 AM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Gary
Yep, Jeff has the idea that would work for you. Just have a good base to put the wallboard on. Also, Jack Womack is the Guru for you to check with on your build. I'm sure he will give you a comment or two. Wakefield...now it has been a day or two since I heard that one.

Don
We got snow yesterday morning....all 1" of it. The temp topped out at 18 degrees and traffic beat the roads to where they were slicker than a 3rd grader's sleeve. All gone this morning though.

Sean
Those lead weights come in mighty handy and they take up one hell of a lot less room than Schrederman's phone books! By the way, how's the re-build coming on the Culver Cadet down there?

Steve
Lookin' good....hang in there.

Tail feathers, flaps, and spoilers are covered!

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Last edited by Oldcoot2; Jan 28, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:35 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Don
We got snow yesterday morning....all 1" of it. The temp topped out at 18 degrees and traffic beat the roads to where they were slicker than a 3rd grader's sleeve. All gone this morning though.Gerald
Well, we got it last night. We're frozen over pretty good with black ice. Nice to see this big ole metroplex shut down for a day . I think my LHS will open soon though. I can drive there but not to work .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:41 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Yeah The weatherman said we're supposed to be getting it here this evening Don. Why did you have to remind me of having to ride to and from work in Dallas on a motorcycle in the winter? I'm getting cold at just the memory!

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:09 PM
Silent Wings
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2005
670 Posts
Jeff
Me too! Reminds me of a road trip on my old Harley knucklehead when I got hit by a blizzard 75 miles from home. Ever tried driving cross handed while you tried to warm your fingers behind the jugs? Ain't easy.

Don
Be careful out there, I know how those metroplex drivers are.

Gerald
Oldcoot2 is offline Find More Posts by Oldcoot2
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:56 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
You know how it is Jeff, it locks the whole damn place down with a bit of ice. If I didn't have a sailplane to play with I would go crazy .

Working on a wang panel today. The horz webs seem to fit really nice and clean.

Gerald, I told you dem dandelions were toast. Let's see 'em grow on this .
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:00 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
522 Posts
Waiting for some glue to dry....

...so I thought I would post some pics.

Pic 1 Some 4 inch by 48 inch sheet stuff. Easy to cut to 1/4 inch.

Pic 2 Old vertical blind channel that I noticed before I took it to the recycler. Great stuff. I use it alot in this build for flat bars to weigh the wings to the board and to sand those long sections. 3M makes a cheaper spray glue that is just fine for sandpaper to aluminum.

Pic 3 Sandpaper and needle files took this down quickly. Most happy!

Pic 4 Got all the parts ready, thought through all the steps, went to sleep.

Pic 5 The wing is weighed down on the spar with the homemade sanding bar and a bunch of lead. The T.E. is clamped with waxed paper and a squisher sheet of 3/16 balsa under the aluminum extrusion. Waxed paper and parchment paper slide too much to make me feel at ease during the clamping step so I tried plastic wrap for a little stickiness to the melamine under board. I wonder if brand name Cling Wrap might be a little stickier than my generic. Any suggestions?

Pic 6 I decided to use epoxy, a LITTLE cabosil and a tiny brush to paint all the little surfaces carefully. This is really slow epoxy and I wanted lots of time since I haven't done this before and I wanted to try to keep from gluing flap and wing together too much. I think it worked very well but we won't really know till the epoxy sets up enough. I may let it go a really long time since I want this STRAIGHT.!!

The 3014 airfoil is not flat across the trailing edge top but I checked and I can use the plywood root and wing ribs clamped to either end of the center panel as guides to sand more closely to the true shape. Should only take a few moments with that cool bar. I'll try to remember to take pics when I get to that step and post them, I think it will be relatively easy.

Be Seeing You.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Last edited by GDbot; Jan 28, 2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Nice GD, great idea on the TE clamping. Yes, down to zero, I love your workmanship, that's going to laminate perfectly . Should be a bullet proof wing GD....
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:07 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
That's Looking really good GD! Isn't having a lot of clamps great? I don't know what I'd do with out all the ones I've got here.

Don,
I know dandelions are a pain to get rid of, but don't you think that a bottle of weed killer and a sprayer would have cost you a LOT less? Looks like that thar cement pond will be a nice addition to help fight them hot Texas days come summer time. Might be a good place to hold a "Beach Club" meeting. You know that if my better half sees those pictures that she's going to want me to get ours back into shape.

Jeff
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:38 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoot2
Sean
Those lead weights come in mighty handy and they take up one hell of a lot less room than Schrederman's phone books! By the way, how's the re-build coming on the Culver Cadet down there?

Gerald

Hey Gerald,

Work is slow on the Cadet. We hired a young lady to do all the sanding in preparation for a new coat of epoxy based varnish, then onto covering. She's the only one working on it right now and so it's not moving very fast. Boss bought yet another new toy and it's taking everyone's time during the day. Can you say 'maintenance hog"? I'll post a photo if you guys want to see it.

Bot, Gerald, Steve and Don: Are you guys trying to make me look bad? Your workmanship is superb and apparently I'm an even slower builder than I used to be. Almost ready to cover, then final assembly except for the tail feathers then she's off to sunny CA!

Don, I love pools but I have been battleing the little woman against one. We compromised (I hope) on a hot tub but something tells me if/when we get the new place that fight will start over again and I have no delusions that I'll win.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola
Don, I love pools but I have been battleing the little woman against one. We compromised (I hope) on a hot tub but something tells me if/when we get the new place that fight will start over again and I have no delusions that I'll win.

Sounds like a man that is wise beyond his years. (It's that or she's got him well trained! )

Jeff
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:38 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
God, I could really do with Don's pool here right now, its gone from stinking sticky hot to a hard blowin' dry wind, which is better I 'spose. Riding my KLX400 about is fine until I get stopped at the traffic lights in town, then its bl*&$# awful sitting behind diesel spewing 4wd's on the baking bitumen.

Hey Sean, I vote too for pics of the cadet resto.
I'm in the same boat, Bot's and Don's workmanship looks more precise than mine so their planes should be totally sweet to fly.

Don, thanks for sending those outer panel rib scans, saves me a heap of guesswork and time cutting the three new ones for my LHW tonight.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:52 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock
Sounds like a man that is wise beyond his years. (It's that or she's got him well trained! )

Jeff

More like trained.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:59 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
Steve,

No recent photos of the Cadet resto. Doesn't look much different than the previous posts. I meant photos of the "maintenance hog". It's wood too so I guess the photos are relevant.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:09 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
You're all invited for a pool opening. Got a perfect little field 20 mins away with some great house thermals. We can soar in the morning while the bubbles are rising and bench, fix, tan and drink the rest of the day. You can sleep where you want, inside or out (can't have my bed and don't want to fall over you ), bring your own stuff. I'll let you know...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:27 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve
Don, thanks for sending those outer panel rib scans, saves me a heap of guesswork and time cutting the three new ones for my LHW tonight.
No problem Steve. I think I'm not going to use the 1/16" webs since I went horz with the main webs...it appear useless. Instead I'm going to rely on the surface tension alone of the adhesive by coating the surfaces. That's really all you have with the 1/16" anyway, the shear properties of the adhesive is far greater than that of vert grain 1/16" balsa...I think .