Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:00 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin_4505
Plan ahead for the next September and there will probably be a comp up at Bundaberg again _ Central QLD R/C Gliding Champs - Bundaberg Sept 13/14th.

cheers jeff
Hi Jeff, pm sent, thanks for the heads up about the Lismore rounds. At the rate i seem to be managing, I'll be lucky to have her done for christmas!

Looking at the MRSSA site the first comp outing i'm hoping for is the next Bundy round early September if all goes well, but I will be doing as much looking and learning as flying, I'm sure the competition scene has changed greatly since the last time I was in it.

I have relatives down near Lismore, so next year, the comp could make a very fine short flying holiday, plus some sloping on the side during the trip up and back. Looking forward to meeting competitors there and about in the near future.
Steve.

Finally got to start the wings this week

Sorting out the tricky joiner tube angle and alignment. The lines are pen markings

Dry run to check how things are shaping up

Shearwebs and ribs go in from inboard out, looks like she will span more than 132"

Getting the top capped spar on. Dive weights assured it wouldn't wander off.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Jul 25, 2008 at 03:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:11 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
I was just pondering, and want to ask the advice of OlyIII builders and the Skybench crew alike on how critical are the light 1/16 thick vertical grain shear webs that go either side of the inboard wing spars and the thick inner shear webs between the spars? it seems they are an external interface for more adhesive strength rather than items of strength in themselves. Is there benefit torsional?

Could I let them go to save a little weight? Or should i glue them in. Would horizontal grained 1/16 webs be more effective?
Because I am adding the weight of spoilers, flaps and associated hardware I am considering any small weight gains to compensate, but I don't want to sail to close to the wind either in terms of structural integrity.
Any advice welcomed.

Checking out the state of the inboard wings; I need to remind myself to check many things before any next step
Last edited by atmosteve; Jul 26, 2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:17 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,262 Posts
Yes, Put them on!
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Looking great Steve, thanks for the pics. I love your diving weights. I'm using household items that vary from canned goods to decorations. I think that Ray would say put them in.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:58 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
No worries with the pics, I'm taking them for my dad so I may as well put them here too.
Lol with the weights, yes if its not screwed down its fair game around here.
Old gravity has its uses hey, who would have thought.

I'm still not sure about the thin vertical grain webs either, I'm sure Ray would have had a reason for that style. Still weighing it all up, without a better idea of the why's and wherefor's I'll most likely use the supplied webs, but will press on considering other idea's.

The big W11 front ply shear goes in, after much fussing with the brass wing rod tube fit & alignment. I truly hate using epoxy, show me a man that loves handling epoxy and i will show you a crazy man
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Personally... I think they add some torsion strength to the wing to keep it from fluttering. I wouldn't omit them.

Nice build...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 02, 2008, 12:28 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Steve,

I'm a bit confused with some pieces. I know what the eye hooks and rubber bands are for but the roll pins and small aluminum tubes and wire and connectors are not clear. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Don
Old Aug 02, 2008, 12:32 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Duh, the connectors are for the servo arms...sorry...
Old Aug 02, 2008, 12:45 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Nevermind...got it. It's on the plan...duh. I just assume the roll pin is the soldered on connector.
Old Aug 02, 2008, 04:35 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Thanks Jack.
I used the roll pins to make a canopy fastening arrangment Don. Small alloy tubes and their wire are the wing joiners behind the main rod, at least they are on mine!

I've taken up some maritime work again on a local Island resort, and now have only a little time each week, abut a day in all, I can dedicate to the build unfortunately. So thats a real bummer but I sure need the work at present. Build log slows down.
Last edited by atmosteve; Aug 23, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:08 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Here is something I found that might be of use to my fellow Olymen. Two hacksaw blades joined together, teeth opposed, makes the most perfect sized cut to slot all the plywood braces between the ribs and spars+sheerwebs.

I got the dihedral angle I wanted by CA'ing in a 1/16" cut of balsa, topped with a 1mm thick bit of CF glued to the bottom spar up against rib four, and then screwing the tube through the two ribs so that it just touched the CF strip as it butted up against the 4th rib. The tube pictured is the one supplied that was too short, a sharply ground edge had it cutting cleanly through the ribs. The tubes got the standard epoxy and microballon treatment to set them firmly inside the plywood braces. Sorry no pics.

If my luck holds and I get to build more this week, could have more up to date pics. Sheeesh! this build is taking forever!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:37 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Looks great Steve...following your lead
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:13 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Setting up the TE for the flaps. Should add some structural strength to the wingframe while only being a small gain in weight. I'm enjoying the Oly kit, it gives you plenty of scope to make changes.

Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
Still hanging on the Mt. wave
Joined Jul 2008
523 Posts
Whooaa! atmosteve cover it in transparent. That is a sight to behold, a beautiful thing.
GDbot is offline Find More Posts by GDbot
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:00 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
I'm getting a woodie... LOL...HE HE HEH,,,
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)