Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:34 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,668 Posts
Yeah- what a bummer! finding out half of the 'cool stories' happened before 80% of our staff was born! had some serious competion with the new generation birds today- they were getting 10 minute flights- in misty rain- me- just a couple (minutes)- but I did arrive with ducks getting lined up
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
I just broke one of my favorite ALES Planes,when the wing hold down screws pulled out at 400 feet and the wing fluttered down while the fuselage came down like a missle. It was a classic yard dart from 400 ft.
That's a real bummer Eddie. Any idea what caused the screws to pull free? DJ Aero's Chrysalis 2M uses nylon bolts through a 3/16" aircraft ply plate threaded for 10-32. I have to admit it's quite strong. I've put mine up the winch several times and even the moldie guys say it's quick going up the line. I'm sure Don can tell us how much force is on it but I suspect it's a metric boat-load. I'm following that lead with my scratch builds until I find a reason not to.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,158 Posts
Well Sean,

Looks like you could get your wish with Isaac heading your way.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
469 Posts
Eddie,
It will be great to see you again at Fall Fest, Hopefully we will be parked in the same place.
will be up early in the week. Finally meet Katie ?

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:47 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,668 Posts
Hi Gang!
Just wonderin' about flight interrupting life, we DO believe in No Carbon, yes??
the reason I'm askin' is cuz we seem to be a diminishing group! I'm simp-ly glad I did get to fly- before I found that during flight- my 5th, that the cat did, in fact chew the antannae wire- (72M's) and I was free flight after midlaunch what a ride- (no film on canard)
MRCSS August 202 Man on Man Contest (12 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:54 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Hi Gang!
Just wonderin' about flight interrupting life, we DO believe in No Carbon, yes??
the reason I'm askin' is cuz we seem to be a diminishing group! I'm simp-ly glad I did get to fly- before I found that during flight- my 5th, that the cat did, in fact chew the antannae wire- (72M's) and I was free flight after midlaunch what a ride- (no film on canard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkIrv...ature=youtu.be
A similiar thing happened to me at the 82 Nats when the transmitter impound workers broke the antenna wire while retracting the antenna of my Proline transmitter. Everything worked normally until it flew out of range half way up the tow. Fortunately I was using a capture tow hook so only had to follow the string to the model. I was able to make emergency repais with a lot of five minute epox and flew the next round after splicing the broken antenna wire. The model repair was very sloppy but I later rebuilt the model and it still hangs from the ceiling and has Springfield grass in some of the epoxy repairs.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Gosh! I go out to chat with Laquer, and hear of planes just fallin' outta the sky. Must be a surge in the Earth's Murphy field.

Laquer and I had fun chatting , and I was reminded, yet again, why I hate going through downtown SF. Parking was a nightmare, the road striping was cryptic, and the "local color" just begging to be my next hood ornaments. Next time, I'm sailing in. MUCH better commute and parking.

Dinner, however, was excellent. Yoyo Sushi. This one had a different menu-- this is the first time ive had sushi with a mango garnish. It was pretty danged tasty! I'll be back, as long as we can find &@%#$ parking.

Laquer, ya gotta time these conferences better. If it weren't a contest day, I'd have brought my hi-start and shoehorned a couple GL wings in the Fiat. Ah, well. You're not a far train ride from Pier 39. That's a good spot to explore. Go north, and find the USS Pampanito, the sub used in the movie "Up Periscope". Watch the America's Cup race as you go. The Oracle boat has some neat sails. (There's a guy selling RC models, for 1,200 each. Yipes!)
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Aug 26, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,508 Posts
T'was a treat to meet up with Katie and have some home-cookin'. Mom is Japanese so I have an unfair advantage. The SLNT ALES contest is today so this is the third time I've missed contests back home because I had some kind of business-related commitment. To be perfectly honest I've been rolling around the idea of a transportable 2M ship. A 3-piece wing and take-down pod and boom could pretty easily fit inside my large bag or into a snowboard Sportube. The Chrysalis wing can be made as a 3-piece and examining those plans is my inspiration. For the fuse I'm thinking a FG/CF reinforced balsa pod, much like I am doing for my Chrys 2M-E. A detachable horizontal stab on a pedestal or V-mount and some sort of way to remove the boom and you've got an Ikea-like flat pack sailplane!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Just packing up to head down, we'll miss ya Tim!
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
That's a real bummer Eddie. Any idea what caused the screws to pull free? DJ Aero's Chrysalis 2M uses nylon bolts through a 3/16" aircraft ply plate threaded for 10-32. I have to admit it's quite strong. I've put mine up the winch several times and even the moldie guys say it's quick going up the line. I'm sure Don can tell us how much force is on it but I suspect it's a metric boat-load. I'm following that lead with my scratch builds until I find a reason not to.
Actually what happened was the whole plywood hold down piece pulled out of the fuselage. The plywood piece and screws were still attached to the wing.

I don't know how it could have pulled out. I had epoxied it and glassed it inside the fuselage. I did have one hard landing with it the last time out,so maybe it cracked the glass and I didn't notice it.

I've seen wigs fold on the winch,but not a wing pop of and a missle comming straight down. It's a good thing it didn't hit anything. I was the only one flying at the time. I swear if it would have hit the top of your car,it would have been stuck in the roof.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborflyer View Post
Eddie,
It will be great to see you again at Fall Fest, Hopefully we will be parked in the same place.
will be up early in the week. Finally meet Katie ?

Ross
Ross, Ill see you there.

How's your wife doing? Has her arm/shoulder healed? Tell her no more tricks like that this year.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
I swear if it would have hit the top of your car,it would have been stuck in the roof.
Eddie, Take a look at Rays site in the "bird" section. Picture of a lawn dart through a shade cover! Shows how strong Rays' designs really are!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Last year one club member lost control after launch, and went in through the neighbor's apartment roof. The fuse stopped at the wings. I want to say it was an Ava, or something similar. I have pictures, but agreed not to post them. Sorry.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Dumb thumbs
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:30 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,668 Posts
there are lots of benefits to 'lowgrade' balsa builds- back in early 90's, there was a story of one of those 'first' generation glass birds splitting a rock on landing approach!
What a bummer Chuck! I thought the staff would be more careful! it was fun watching the canard go into full stalls- eliptical feathers and all- ahhh well- experimental flight @ all- now I gotta figure which 'duck' to pick on first!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,119 Posts
On the Chrysalis 2-meter MkII we have tabs on the wing hold-down plates that interlock with slots in the ply fuselage side doublers. Using just glue with all the flexing that goes on under load in that area represents a pretty big leap of faith!

For 2-meters I generally design for at least 200 lbs line tension (the smaller wing usually can't pull any harder than that with the airspeed that the drag of the towline imposes on it), but on Open class ships I design for at least 300 lbs. For those it all depends on how strong the towlines are.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse