Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Cool Bipe! I can see why it is aerotowed for launch. I'd imagine it's a lot easier on the structure than using a highstart or winch.

Really like your canards Cpt. C. I'm still planing on building a couple of them up myself once I get setteled into my new place and have the shop built up.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Very, very pretty, Al.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:22 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I just got back from a fun day. Omitting all the errands and stuff in the afternoon, this morning was really nice and lifty, and I had a handful of nice flights. The first one off the winch was a doosey-- 36 minutes and three fat thermals. My longest and smoothest. I'm getting better. I had the keychain camera onboard, and I'm debating whether or not to upload the whole video it took. I REALLY don't want to edit the video right now, so it's all or nothing. Without an altimeter to be sure, we *think* I got to about 1,000' AGL. I definitely hit the "ceiling" so-to-speak, because I couldn't get any higher, and was just scooting around for a while, like a water droplet on a skiddle. Woo hoo!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,497 Posts
Well done Katie. That's nearly double my longest flight to date. Sounds like you really have that SE dialed in!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Well.... Actually, I was flying the Gentle Lady. The Spirit E. still has a cracked fuse that I need to CA back together. :blush:

Thanks for the encouragement. I decided to upload the whole video. All 28 minutes of it. YouTube said it'll take 6 hours, and so far they're keeping their word, It has another 3 to go. I'll leave the PC on and go to bed, and wake up to a fully processed video.

ETA: here is the video. Upside: a lot less shaky, smoother flying, and some nice thermals. Downside: it's 28 minutes of going in almost circles over the same hazy patch of suburbs. Feel free to fast forward to the last 10-15 minutes, that's when the plane seems at it's highest.

28 minutes of a 36 minute RC glider flight (28 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:38 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Awesome video... and love the flying locale! Reminds me that I have a local park, too

Again, well done!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Really good Katie! I can see a few areas I remember from business trips up to San Jose. Looks at times like there was an inversion layer in the area that would limit your height. They were one of the main reasons I wanted to get out of Georgia so bad. When you're flying a 3 meter plane and you can't speck it out because the low inversion layer prevents the thermals from becoming real boomers it was just too depressing for me.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:38 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
What? 24 oz?? how did you do that?? more to the story than little servos!
I left the camera @ work, will be uploading hopefully tommorow- very scary!!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:06 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Cap'n, I can't say how I did it. I did use mostly CA in the wings, and minimal epoxy and Titebond everywhere else. Those two "little servos" are standard size. If I had to do it again, I bet I can loose two to four more.

Thanks for the Kudos, guys! Yes, there was an inversion layer. Nobody got past it that day if they didn't have a prop or turbines of some sort.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
I Bought (for points,) a new game, wife finally let me back in my toolbox!
anyway, once a troll, always a troll! Great shots by our intern, Anna! she even learned the 'old dog' a new camera trick!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:46 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Cap'n, I can't say how I did it. I did use mostly CA in the wings, and minimal epoxy and Titebond everywhere else. Those two "little servos" are standard size. If I had to do it again, I bet I can loose two to four more.
I remember somone pinging me once on my use of glue for my 32" balsa/covering flying wing... I responded that I used a tube and a half of CA which was stated as around 6g wet. Dry that turns into maybe half that, so 3g. I welcomed them to find a more thrifty use of glue for my application

On epoxy... do you thin yours at all? I only use 5 or 15min epoxy depending on application but have no experience with thinning at all.

Oh yeah, I also have a DJAeroTech Chrysalis HLG on its way - happy days!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:08 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Cap'n, awesome poster!
What's with the hair on the table?

Boink, no, I didn't thin the epoxy. I didn't even you you could/should. (Still don't, actually. Good to know!) Learnin' something new every day.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:11 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Really good Katie! I can see a few areas I remember from business trips up to San Jose. Looks at times like there was an inversion layer in the area that would limit your height. They were one of the main reasons I wanted to get out of Georgia so bad. When you're flying a 3 meter plane and you can't speck it out because the low inversion layer prevents the thermals from becoming real boomers it was just too depressing for me.
Mid Georgia ain't nothing like the golden Gulf Coast. I've seldom had flights that were limited out below speck level.

Katie beat me to it. Love the Trek poster CC!

Thinning epoxy: Can be done but I try to avoid it. Better to buy thinner stuff in the first place. I have thinned epoxy with styrene to no apparent ill effect and on advice of a composites engineer. A couple of times (again in the right situation and depending on type of epoxy) used heat to thin out the resin or to help penetration into wood or cloth.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
As close to the coast as you are Sean you should never have to worry about an inversion layer like I did when landlocked in Bonaire.

Went and put eyes on the leading contender for the new "World Headquarters" this morning and it shows a ton of possibility. I'll need to get/do an inspection on the double-wide but the land itself looks great. Going to have to see how much I can get them down on the price though. at $89,900 it's a little high for the area. Besides.... it's been on the market for over a year and it hasn't been snapped up so that will give me some leverage during the negotiations.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Cry me a river, Jeff... I just signed the contract for our new abode... $232,500--... OUCH! It has a 3-car garage but no real work space like the one in Amarillo had. My work area will be limited. And, though I swore I'd never buy another brand new house, it's... brand new... However, Dee Dee's happy... priceless...

As always, I'll be a prince for a few weeks, and then I'll be back to being the troll...

I am envious, though. I've always loved Arizona.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman