Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Aren't canards a witch to balance and trim?
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:21 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Mark, those are very interesting. I GOTTA learn that airfoil program, and probably CAD too.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
I was thinking about that second link, the bi-swept wings (however it's called), and thinking of how we'd balance that thing. I would probably end up making a balance jig, with a bar that temporarily latches to each wing near the fuse (both marked right, left, front, back), with the balance points marked on them. This is where your regular balance jig rests, and I'm certain it will be somewhere near the first third of the diamond. This is why an unmodified jig will be kinda useless.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,754 Posts
Well, that all depends as which witch are you referring too?

I had a Canard I scratch built built back in the late 80's as a slope glider from JLPS. Flew fine for what it was as designed for an 049 slimer pusher. Can't recall the name. About a 48" ws or so. Fun, cute and could never tip stall.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:49 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Well boingk, I sure do like it. Has that Steampunk look, and who doesn't like steampunk? The real bonus is that it's tailless. Nice find, now you have me thinking.
I reckon... its from a game on XBox called (unsurprisingly) 'Crimson Skies'. The whole game is set in an alternate 1930's universe, one where the aeroplane gained superiority over the car as personal transport... as well as some funky politics and public rifts. Cool game, and the flying is a whole lotta fun.

For the thing I listed I would balance it much as you do a traditional biplane. As I have no idea on that I cn't make a suggestion... but the SE5a and Fokker guys will have suggestions for sure.

I believe its an aggregate balance point based on the lift and position of each wing? Assuming the lift is equal, simply get each one's 25% mark and get pick the point between them.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
Crimson Skies! That's funny! Now you guys and (Doll) have me back on track from a major move distraction (which didn't pan out) now I'm half packed, and have VAMC helping us find a new home! it all started after Lady got eaten!
If ya wanna fly a REAL Canard, check out Sky Crawlers on the Wii!- very tough
anyway, I need to unpack and get the foamy to a flying meeting Thursday, and continue where I left off!
Still searching for the bird which will bear my grandaughter's name! (page one of blog)
---edit---
No, canards aren't difficult to balance, just different- like welding steel or aluminum- not difficult- just different!---
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Aug 15, 2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added info
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:28 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Children eating/playing in halls grounds for eviction? Heck, I'd leave with rules like that. Sounds like bad neighbors, turning folks in for no good reason.

Good luck, Capt.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:02 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,855 Posts
Here's another interesting biplane configuration that might make a fun slope soarer.
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ff95lc.htm

Canards can be very easy to trim. The twin pusher I made was. They're.not so great on sink rate.

Crimson Skies plane has guns in draggy place. Why not in fuse?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:46 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
lincoln - I suspect because they look tough!

On the eviction, that sucks majorly... hope it works out for you man.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Lincoln: added to my to-build list.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
What??????

What happenned? Somebody got evicted because their kids flew a red toy canard biplane into an apartment complex and someone was dressed as a witch??? What???

-?P?
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
See, this is part of the reason I still live at home... that, and its the only way I can afford to put myself through flight school.

When I do move out after flight school it'll hopefully be into my own house. Doesn't have to be an awesome house - I know how to plaster, paint, etc - but it has to be mine.

I know enough about d!ckhead owners to steer well clear if I can.

- boingk
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
What happenned? Somebody got evicted because their kids flew a red toy canard biplane into an apartment complex??? What???
Whatever happened to diversity? Someone repressed just cause they have their tail out front?

Sorry Captain C, I just don't follow. What happened?????
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,025 Posts
As a landlord I can tell you a good renter is worth his weight in gold. I just lost a renter that I had for over 10 years. He kept the place better than I would have. Hope the new guy isn't a punk.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
Thanks Gang!
OK, here's the sequence of my wonderful summer! I had one interuption with flight in Rochester Mid June!
1) my Blog, Lady has a bad monday, and worse friday.
1a) Owner wanted us to have a lease violation for defending Lady from a viscious english bull dog- i thought pit bull when in dark (fence/gate pic)
2)mid June, we learn of an apartment on ground floor with about + 200 squares to build in
3) Julie views apt, was promised it is ours, maintenance guys witness this fact. on a wednesday)
4) manager who promises apt. quits- we've been waiting one week- find she quit/ vanishes the Friday after apt. view.
5) new manager says "some confusion here", says renting to someone else.
6)Pay July rent, ask about lease, said we'd deal with apt situation /lease @ end of month
(3rd year rent from July 2010 foreclosure) zero issues up till now
7) looking for apartments, need criminal/credit check- not good enough for one place,
handicap access, 1 Collie, 1 micro cat keep looking
8) Lil bit the cat, gets blamed for 4 poop locations in 3rd floor hallway- poop is much larger than 5 lb kitty size.
9) annual inspection for me @ VAMC, set up with social worker in the possibility of being homeless
10) during apt looking, present apt complex looses our payment check etc.
11) Aug 2 came back from 2nd apt viewing, who rented before we arrived, with needed qualifiers.
12) stopped @ office, payed Aug rent- no hassles @ all from only continuous office staff, accepted check, we were told "just let us know" (this info was (knowingly by me, told to Maintenance guy that this story will go federal on Julie's handicapped status)
13) today, receive info on 'phase one' for VA helping with apt. serch.
mind you, all this AFTER I moved my wood supply into stoage next to car- indoor basement parking due to water leaking from ceiling, and getting SO frustrated with that goofy crimson, that i did (this pic)!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member