Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:32 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Don't know if you all had caught this thread over on the Aircraft - Sailplanes Sailplane Talk Forum but Tim, (RWCLOUD), has built a couple little winches that even built with all brand new parts should run under $150. He gives a rather detailed description of the small engine starter winch build (all done with simple hand tools) starting with post #22 and on with post #23 and #25. It is reported to handle 2m plane with ease and I think should handle lighter 3m ships with little trouble in a sport flying type setting. It's the one I'm quietly gathering up parts for. That winch, a 1000 feet of braded mason line and a front hub from a bicycle for a turnaround and I'll be in business.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:16 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Steve

It is a small world at times, you are going to build a Baby Bowles as it turns out they were built in San Fernando, CA.

I live here in Granada Hills but San Fernando is 5 miles east and i went to hi-school there and worked a yr at the Chevy dealer after getting out of school in 59', then in 64' i started to race my B/Gas 37' coupe at the S.F. drag strip.

The Drag strip is next to a one lane airport about 100 feet over and that is where the Harley Bowles airplane & alum travel trailer factory was located in the 30's, i hear a lived on a ranch in S.F. too but have not found any info on it yet.

The city does not have to much info from those early years, but i have a lead on a person that just might know more about Mr. Bowles.

It is pretty neat the stuff you learn sometimes about what wen't on right in your own backyard so to speak, well 5 miles away.

G Don
Very true Don, I am a long way from the home of these gliders but the internet sure helps. Going through SOHO article on Torrey Pines Gliderport;
http://sohosandiego.org/reflections/...gliderport.htm
Has some nice old pictures.

There is no way I am going to attach my dirty big hi-start to a towhook on the thing though. Toss it and land it in 3 feet of grass at the top of a coastal slope I think. It will be nice to see it flying out over the sea from the slope, that part of it would look scalish.

GDon if you come across any more info, I'd be much obliged to you for sharing it. You folks have so much soaring and engineering history around you over there, it's enviable!

All the best with the little winch build Mark, personally I'd love about three different sizes of hi-starts and another tougher winch. Tell you what though, if the money and blocks were there I would have a crack at an FPW in an instant, you don't always need or can use a big histart.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:31 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thinking about winches now... I was thinking about making my own from an old lead-acid pack and a nitro starter motor connected (direct, or via belt?) to a spool for the line.

Would that work? I have a 12v nitro starter lying around and do not use it at all these days as I prefer handstarting my engines. Could be a cheap build!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Thinking about winches now... I was thinking about making my own from an old lead-acid pack and a nitro starter motor connected (direct, or via belt?) to a spool for the line.

Would that work? I have a 12v nitro starter lying around and do not use it at all these days as I prefer handstarting my engines. Could be a cheap build!

Cheers - boingk
Could very well work. They are about, if not the same size as the lawn tractor starters. As long a you have a good way to couple it the the spool, I'd say it would be worth a go if you've got one handy. If it's one of those that have a belt grove for the nitro choppers, then your coupling problem is almost solved. I'd just try to stay close to 1:1 between the motor and shaft, don't want to slow the spool down too much.

Mark
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:19 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Hi Boingker, I can't see why not, it could make a fantastic little winch!

The exy bit could be the drum and brake of a suitable size and weight for the little motor. Or you could assemble your own drum out of metal components, get them welded if you can't DIY. Just the brake is the thing, my old woody winch uses the old bicycle freewheel method as a drum brake. Your local bike shop would maybe have a bunch of old ones they usually give away if asked.

No reason why it can't be done with a little innovation and suitable small frame and fasteners is my first thought. very
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:33 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Cheers guys, and... *looks over shoulder* ...yeah my starter is the type with a groove for chopper starting so shouldn't be an issue. Might get stuck into it tomorrow.

- boingk
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
I've thought about that before as well. I'm not certain there are enough RPM to spin the drum at a reasonable speed. I'd think it might be OK for a 2M but I'm reserved about anything larger.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:18 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Well, all I've got is an assortment of 1~1.5m gliders and then the hulking great one-piece-wing 2.5m 'Mystery' glider... that, coincidentally, I just put a tow hook into.

Look alright to you guys?

I havent done a whole lot of this but figured spreading the leverage and load over a stack of epoxy-laminated balsa sheets wouldn't hurt. The small orange thing on one side is the remote receiver, don't particularly want to lose bind while topside!

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:04 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well back from a 5 day vacation road trip (Like I hadn't had enough driving moving out here ) and am getting caught up here. You folks are giving me ideas on a winch design. If I can find a source for parts to do what I have in mind, and can get a little time to do some prototyping, I'm positive I can come up with a winch that would be able to handle from a 2 meter up to a 4-5 meter plane.

If I get it done I'd love to take it out to some of the areas we went through on the road trip. Saw plenty of areas that were just begging to have some planes soaring over them. Wide open areas that went on FOREVER and some mesas and cliffs that were screaming to have a nice plane tossed over the edge! We started in Bisbee, hit Tucson and Checked out "A" mountain. The it wa up to Phoenix.Mesa area to go tubeing on the Salt River for a couple of days. Our next stop was in Winslow AZ via Flagstaff. From Winslow we headed over to AlbaTurkey NM and then back home to Bisbee. Got a good tan out of the trip, saw some great country and had a fantastic time.

Now that I'm back it's time to get serious about the property search. It's time to get the business started and give the Brewers the "World Headquarters" that we deserve.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,298 Posts
My boss is so sweet! Yesterday he gave me a cute little Electrify SE-5 biplane. It has a funny gray spinny thing on front, though, and with only a two foot wingspan, weighs almost as much as my Gentle Lady. Yeah, not exactly a glider, but it is a woody!

I just had a thought.... A lot of people slope warbirds, mustangs, spitfires, P-38s, without props-- is it possible to slope a bipe? Not this one, I'll build one specifically for the slope if it'll work.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: iPhone auto-co-wreck
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
My boss is so sweet! Yesterday he gave me a cute little Electrify SE-5 biplane. It has a funny gray spinny thing on front, though, and with only a two foot wingspan, weighs almost as much as my Gentle Lady. Yeah, not exactly a glider, but it is a woody!

I just had a thought.... A lot of people slope warbirds, mustangs, spitfires, P-38s, without props-- is it possible to slope a bipe? Not this one, I'll build one specifically for the slope if it'll work.

IS it possible to slope a bipe?

Here you go - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=biplan

Now let's see you put one on a winch.

Mark
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,298 Posts
Ha ha ha! Challenge accepted. All I need is a (somewhat) matched set of glider-type wings and I'm good to experiment. I think it can be done. The only trouble would be securing the top wing for the stresses of launching.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Ha ha ha! Challenge accepted. All I need is a (somewhat) matched set of glider-type wings and I'm good to experiment. I think it can be done. The only trouble would be securing the top wing for the stresses of launching.
Ah, given that we have access to modern materials and such to reinforce our wood, (carbon fiber / Kevlar), that shouldn't be much of a problem. You could even take a kind of annular / wing approach to it. ( note: 2 links there)

Got ya thinking yet?

Mark
Last edited by Quick61; Aug 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Go futuristic... 30's style!

Make high aspect ratio wings, staggered with top forward to give best flight and landing characteristics (stalls slower). Space vertically at 130% average chord and rock the lot in a steamlined (although still "30s") fuselage.

I reckon it'd be a hoot!

- boingk

EDIT: Like this.... even the canard is cool!

Last edited by boingk; Aug 15, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,688 Posts
Well boingk, I sure do like it. Has that Steampunk look, and who doesn't like steampunk? The real bonus is that it's tailless. Nice find, now you have me thinking.