Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
you can still plan

But even in a tent you can still do some kind of research and prepwork. In fact if dreaming could be counted it might take up 6/10th's of our hobby?

Spending this fine Sunday morning drinking Greek coffee and browsing the net on my next alleged woody build, the Bowlus Baby Albatross short kit from Mr. Hayes, should be just the kind of thing I would get off on as a wooden fiddlebug.

Still really excited by this one, even after three years of saying I'm gonna do it and then going completely walkabout instead. Just have to get back home early next year with a pocket full of cabbage, grab a nice little rental by the beach again, put together another workshop and off we go once more, getting me some fine wood construction underway as is only good and proper.

The shoreline slope at home is only a summer affair when N-NNW-NE winds are a blowing down from the tropics, and this practically helps me double the working life of any sailplane I toss off the edge and fly over the shoreline! Ha!

Also, gonna get a few newish things like a moulded f3j comp bird, plans for JW's Journey, a Wevo, build me a new winch, rebuild my old woody winch, restring my histart with new 80# braid and god knows what else. Oh yes, and flying the birds I have in storage, even old Patches is under someones roof right now.

Has Don W had any chance to rebuild his OlyIII ? Watcha at Donno?
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
^ Let me re-iterate some of the above by saying that my summer slope back in Qld has the potential to double the life of any sailplane I fly there over a full year, there is never any garuntee that a glider will last more than one season, or month, or week, or..

- Cheers from honest Steve.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Hey Steve,

I have NO doubt that you will be back in the saddle on schedule. I wanna see Patches back up and the Bowlus. I, for one, am jealous that you got to do the walk about (pedal about) time.

As for the dreaming end of it. I agree that's at least 6/10th, probably more. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with me. My mind is going wide open all of the time. Been a little worried about my state lately since over the last few years I can't shut the old brain off. I lie in bed and assemble projects. When I wake up it's usually to a snag on a project I'm trying to work out. I have about 10 years worth of woodie builds floating around in my head and to add to that I'm three years behind on home renovation upgrades, job goals and another hobby that I want to get ahead on.

You need to get back home and settled on the beach. The last time in my life that I felt 100% content was when I lived at the beach (2004). No matter what I had pressing me I could wake up in the morning, grab a cup of coffee, walk down to the dock and "zone out". On top of that, taking the boat out into the bay, shutting off the motor and drifting for an hour really, REALLY, cleared my head.

I don't know, maybe this domestic thing doesn't work for me. I grew up on the water and possibly that's the only therapy that connects.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:18 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Had the first flight of the Mystery 2.5 a few hours ago... just put on a simple control horn and linkage for the flight test and will put on more permenant and reliable gear this evening. I also put full charge in the Eneloops and connected up an audio voltmeter and remote receiver to the 6ch OrangeRx.

It was a moderate wind out on an otherwise perfect day, and after some messing around with the DX7 I gave her a tentative push into the wind. She flew along perfectly well, much better than I expected, and pretty much in trim from what I could see - the preflight agonising paid off!

I gave her another flight and she flew well a second, and then third, time before I decided to call it quits for the day. She doesn't have a towhook (yet) so I was restricted to handlaunches on the grass runway... but we'll get her on the winch next week perhaps.

Cheers all - boingk

EDIT: Sounds good atmosteve! For restringing your histart I'd highly recommend simple builders stringline - its cheap, readily available and comes in long lengths and bright colours.
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:45 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Nice hand toss results Boingk, I must admit I am curious about that glider, looks faster than it's aerofoil if nothing else! It's different and cool, as long as it flies ok I guess it's cool.

Mate I use super thin and light spiderwire fishing braid for my hi-tart, 5 years ago I bought a twin pack from BCF and the first roll has had a few breaks (due to little trees at the old River Heads coastal field) and hundreds of launches and looks ratty from memory, it gets the elbow for the 2nd reel. Cheers for the suggestion though.

- Agree the bright colours really help recovery AND not flying into the line after release. Don't laugh! it happebned to Patches once, chute hit a strong little thermal and the line went up again and wrapped itself around the tailfeathers of the hapless OIII. It all ended well with an unlikely bellyflop onto a grassy patch. Sureal.

Sean! I am so in need of sea therapy myself! Give me a jetty or a little boat and a fishing rod and I am happy, or even crabbing. nothing better. Well mate I hope you don't end up a boat bum like I have been in the past, I bet you would miss that amazing shed pretty quick if you gave it all up for less responsibilty. I dunno, it's one thing or the other isn't it. At least you have an good active mind Sean, not much chance of dimentia setting in anytime soon lol. I'm lazy by nature, have no problems lying on my hammock and thinking about bugger all, it's a curse.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:17 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Hey atmosteve, see your still 'getting your wood on'. Not that your in need with the second roll of line at your fingertips, but I'd second boingk's suggestion on the masons line, with one little adder for anyone wanting to use it. Use the braided line, not the twisted. The twisted is prone to little snags on stubble and such (no reason to ask how I know) and, as it's name implies, twists. The braided also has some elasticity to it and just seems to last longer. If not the same price, just a few pennies more and well worth it.

boingk, you mean that thing actually flies? And flies well?? Sounds like you got your monies worth and more (with the beers thrown in ). Hope you get some video when it takes the ride up the winch line.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:18 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
atmosteve - Ah, no worries at all, sounds good! If it works then stick with it for sure. Haven't flown anywhere near a winch line myself yet - my histart is 10m of 6mm silicone bungee, another 15 or so of pink stringline and then a keyring to latch to hapless plane onto... all wrapped lovingly around a large paper Macca's coffee cup.

Mark - Yep, so far at least. Very keen to head back out ASAP and try a histart or winch.... although I'd be making a proper histart with 10m of bungee and probably 40~50m of line. You're dead right on the braided line, too.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Yeah Steve, you're correct. Grass is always greener on the other side. I have been thinking about getting back into a little boating though. I have my eye on a 15' Whaler that I did a complete overhaul on. The county is building a nice public boat ramp only a mile from my house so launching would be minimum hassle. I really miss having a dock and lift out the back door. Made for good spur of the moment boating and hassle free recovery.

Haven't heard much from Gary (Glasflugel) but last I got from him was that he and his wife were lovin' life back on their boat full time. He had it set up really nice with a storage unit near the marina that also served as a shop. Don't know if he still does that but sounds like a good way to go.

I got my winch out last week and went through it. She's ready to go but I'm gonna wait till it cools off a little before getting back to the bigger stuff. Right now I just do a little DLG early in the morning and get done by 9:00 or so. I'm outside in the heat Mon-Fri from 7:30 until after 5:00 every day so when the weekend comes I don't look forward to heading back into it.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Speaking of winches and histarts, I happen to be in the market, so to speak. I sure as heck can't afford a winch, but I was thinking if either a hi-start or building my own first person winch (see the OneWinch). The FPW sounds easy, just a couple double pulleys, a bunch of thick braided line and a length of thinner stuff for the plane's end. Hubby is very skeptical, and thinks the whole system cumbersome and useless. I disagree.

What are your thoughts?
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
I saw a FPW in action. Two thumbs up! Works like a charm! In your case Katie maybe you can make the hubbie run it while you fly if he thinks its too cumbersome.

Hi starts are great too. I don't think mine is workable anymore since it's really old but I have stored it in the AC in a light proof bag covered in talc powder so may be fine.

Winches are great but not necessary in my book. I use mine almost all the time mostly because I've got everything at the field for a super fast setup. If I didn't I'd use a histart or look into the FPW.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,451 Posts
Well Katie, I'm with you. I ordered my OneWinch just last week, scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I had the opportunity to use one at our June event and really liked it. Simple to use and launches planes really well. If you go that route I'm certain you will like it.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:17 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
I was hoping to do something considerably cheaper, though.
Especially since I just lost half my hi-start/whatever cash at the field today. Drat!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:27 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I was hoping to do something considerably cheaper, though.
Especially since I just lost half my hi-start/whatever cash at the field today. Drat!
How did you do that?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Caught on the phone and fell out as I took out the phone. :blush:

Good news! It has been found. I went to a friend's house to pick up some reptile/tarantula supplies, and I dropped it there. The neighbor's kid found it, and will be getting a super-cool bug-eating plant and an invitation to learn to fly RC (I have no shame, lol!) for his honesty.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:22 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,919 Posts
Hi Steve

It is a small world at times, you are going to build a Baby Bowles as it turns out they were built in San Fernando, CA.

I live here in Granada Hills but San Fernando is 5 miles east and i went to hi-school there and worked a yr at the Chevy dealer after getting out of school in 59', then in 64' i started to race my B/Gas 37' coupe at the S.F. drag strip.

The Drag strip is next to a one lane airport about 100 feet over and that is where the Harley Bowles airplane & alum travel trailer factory was located in the 30's, i hear a lived on a ranch in S.F. too but have not found any info on it yet.

The city does not have to much info from those early years, but i have a lead on a person that just might know more about Mr. Bowles.

It is pretty neat the stuff you learn sometimes about what wen't on right in your own backyard so to speak, well 5 miles away.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don