Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:26 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Dammit you beat me to it!

I am currently making (or have been for the last few months anyway) a ~5oz/sqft plank-wing glider with a 1600mm or so wingspan. Its got a Peter Wick airfoil... no idea on the actualy one though. Perhaps an 0121 if that makes sense? Either way it'll be kitted out with tip-mounted vertstabs and a central electric motor for climb to altitude.

Please post pictures/video of the maiden... would love to see how yours goes!

Cheers - boingk
This one came out to just under 5oz wing load. Set up for high start / winch launching. The build thread is here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585563 witha vid of a few test launched - still a little sorting out to get done and tore up the fusea bit on the slope this weekend when I got the GC a bit far back. As soon as I finish up putting new screen on the back porch I'll be back on it.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:50 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Thanks for the link to the build thread - looks great!

In other news, I've picked up a weird looking glider with a 2.4m wingspan and elevator/rudder 2ch control.

Anyone know what she is?

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link to the build thread - looks great!

In other news, I've picked up a weird looking glider with a 2.4m wingspan and elevator/rudder 2ch control.

Anyone know what she is?

Cheers - boingk
Your welcome boingk. As to the plane in the picture... Don't know what it is, but it looks like it was designed and built by the same drunken committee that did the Basset Hounds. And get a load of that airfoil. What is that, about 20-25%?

Mark
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:40 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Its pretty insane for sure, around 20%, and the airfoil is undercambered to boot!

I was thinking that the ribs almost look like they were put onto the plan backwards... hence the backward sweep instead of the more traditional gullwing-type forward sweep from the fuse with rearward sweep at the tips.

I picked it up for $30 and the guy threw in some beers as well so I figured it was a pretty decent buy. All it needs is an elevator control horn - GWS servos and Eneloop pack are all there and ready to go.

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,690 Posts
Quote:
Its pretty insane for sure, around 20%, and the airfoil is undercambered to boot!

I was thinking that the ribs almost look like they were put onto the plan backwards... hence the backward sweep instead of the more traditional gullwing-type forward sweep from the fuse with rearward sweep at the tips.

I picked it up for $30 and the guy threw in some beers as well so I figured it was a pretty decent buy. All it needs is an elevator control horn - GWS servos and Eneloop pack are all there and ready to go.

Cheers - boingk
Well, when you get all the pieces-parts gathered up, think about staarting a thread, be interesting to see how it goes. And hey, a few bucks AND beer, at nothing wrong with that deal. (and it it was 'enough' beer, maybe you can get a seat on the next committee)

Mark
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:28 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I'll start a thread for sure, should be an interesting ride for sure.

Only negative is that there isnt a towhook to speak of...

...perhaps a 4mm carbon rod and some ply would do it?

Cheers - boingk
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
I think the buyer will bite... she's coming back today for a second look. I may be moved by the middle of September and by the middle of October... back to normal... whatever that is...

Darth Travel Trailer Toilet Scrubber
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:44 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Oh come on now Jack!!! Us? NORMAL???? You should know a lot better than that!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:16 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
BoingK, that thing is neat looking. Can't wait to hear how it flies. You never know, may surprise you.

Jack, I must have missed a move somewhere. I know your job is bouncing you around. Where do you think you'll end up? Still in Texas?
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:19 AM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
O/T on hot water heater

I built a house about 2 years ago in the Florida keys, I did not want to use propane and there is no Natural gas run in that area so it only left me electric as a option.

I did the On demand water with 240 Volt and am very happy with it. In the design of the home I had to have an extra 100 amp service run just for the water heater. IF you where to visit my house you would never know it was on demand.

That said a few things to considerOn demand system raise the water temp by X degrees as it passes through unit. Thus in florida the ground water is warm to it I was able to use a smaller unit. With newer Shower heads there really is not that high of a demand on Gallons Per Minute on the unit. I have had all three showers running at the same time with no issues.

SO the big pro's are

Space, My utility closet is almost empty as unit mounts on wall and above door header so you hardly know it is there, NO closet if for mops, brooms etc.

If I come back from a bloody fishing trip with 6-8 ppl, We all shower with never running out of water.

We put in a huge tub/whirlpool. We can fill the whole thing without worring about hotwater shortage.

Very energy effient for a house of 2 ppl (that is us) However you will find that a typicall tank heater does win the effeciecy battle if you are a high user of hot water like a family of 6 would be. But in our case the On demand wins the battle

now that I know more I would have done things a little different and this is where the On demand electric really would excel. I would have put 2 smaller units in instead of 1 heavy duty unit. Why you ask. You can put them close the the use location therefore you do not have to run all the water out of the pipes to get to the hot water. I would have put a smaller unit in the farden bath that just fed the shower,sinks,tub (which is on one end of the house) Then a medium sized one that would have feed the other 2 shower heads, laundry, and kitchen, which are all on the other side of the house.

With just the single unit the garden bath takes a minute or 2 to get hot water at the faucet, Of course once it is there, the tub and shower are hot almost instantly.

There is no best for all ppl, but there is bests for each situation. Use this data to help you figure out what works for you.

Last thing, as per cost. The on demand unit cost more then a tank, but it lasts longer also. Therefore it is about a wash in total cost assuming you have enough electric to run it. Else you will have to pay a 1 time penatly to get more electric service run into your home, For new construction this is not that bad. But for an existing home it could be not practical in some cases.

Highflier

PS. As per flying, I really need to get out a little more. Been fixing the older house up so I can sell it when it is time, My goal is to be in the house with On demand hot water full time in the near future
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Set the HOOK!!!!!

OK, the buyer bit. We have a contract and we're looking in earnest for a new house. Weatherford, Texas... lock up your wives and daughters! There goes the neighborhood!

Man I wish this was over....

Darth Homeless
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:11 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
At least you're still around a bunch of glider guys there. I know the moving thing sucks. I don't ever want to move again but if I could I'd probably head out to TX myself.

Oh, In reply to the on-demand water thing: I plan on going that way in the next year or so. It's only the tow of here and I do believe that's the ticket in our situation.

This Fall I'm changing all of the central AC systems over to split ductless. That ought to shave the power bill down a little too.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:53 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
lock up your wives and daughters!
Oh man
BED INTRUDER SONG!!! (now on iTunes) (2 min 8 sec)
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
OK, the buyer bit. We have a contract and we're looking in earnest for a new house. Weatherford, Texas... lock up your wives and daughters! There goes the neighborhood!

Man I wish this was over....

Darth Homeless
In good company DL, well, good may not be the exact word... I live in a tent in a little town in the middle of nowhere in the Northern Territory where there is perfect thermalling day after day as proven by the buzzards and have nothing to fly and even worse won't be back to my old digs and RC gear in Qld until about Feb next year... oh brother! at least my little sunfrau and I will be back together in November, that's when the tent dwelling ends, BTW, as if I needed to say that..

Interesting sloper there Boingker!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
This will be our LAST move so we're going to have to be careful to get a good place. Dee Dee has picked Weatherford... so I guess it's going to be... Weatherford... Hopefully we'll be in and settled in time for TNT. Of course, there'll be no time for practicing... But, these days I just go to unwind...

I AM sick of looking at houses online... AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Trailer Trash... but it does beat living in a tent...