Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,854 Posts
Wow, that's someting about the tanning bed.

Next water heater, consider On Demand type unit.

On topic, yes, I already thinned the heard a few years ago at about 80%. Recently started doing the same of more. Some are very painfull, yet needed to let go.
I have 3-5 more major ships, to me, to let go as moldies. I just let go of #1 as the Tragi 705X. The NNIB Icon I, MPX Kranich, XXX, XXX and XXX soon.

Good news will be more realistic resources for more fun with econimical Woodies.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Yeah Jared that's what I'm doing. Going to keep two late model moldies, all my DLGs and any decent RES or REF woodie and of course all kits. Oh, and two scale aerotow-able birds. I need the space and can use the bucks for another hobby.

May go with the on-demand WH someday soon but haven't done all of the research.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
mis-post
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:10 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well from what I know of the guys (and gals) here on this thread. I hope you're all either building or finding time to get some flying in. Heaven knows it's going to be awhile before I can do either myself.

The search for property grinds on. A few good prospects found but nothing has really jumped up and screamed "BUY ME!!!" at this point. Found one place that had a 40X36 shop already in place but the lot is too small. I will find something that will do the trick and not cost me an arm and a leg as long as I bide my time and keep my eyes open.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:14 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,288 Posts
Good luck, Scaflock!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:41 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,685 Posts
Well, sense this is a place for woodies - here is my latest build, called Thermal Bleed. 2m plank wing glider with light wing loading and JWL-097 airfoil. This was a test bed for several ideas/new things, some good, some not so much. I'm suprised that it flies at all, let alone as good as it has so far, full on launching and flying planed for this weekend.
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
May go with the on-demand WH someday soon but haven't done all of the research.

They've been using on-demand water heaters and air-conditioning in Japan for decades. To be honest I'm surprised on-demand water heaters have taken this long to catch on in the US. Hotter water much more immediately and with no possibility of running out while you're in the shower. When I lived there we had wall mounted units in the kitchen and in the bathroom and they worked brilliantly.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:50 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Are they electric? I'm looking at having a home built this winter and would prefer a tankless water heater, but the homes are all electric utilities.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined May 2002
3,854 Posts
Yes, they are usually electric.

In the meantime, so I can buy some more balsa/spruce/bass wood for future Woodies, I have been slowly shopping for a small unit for my kitchen sink.
It will plug in at the garbage disposal 110v outlet and tap into the cold water.
It takes way too long to get hot water in the kitchen.
A smaller 110v unit.
And water is very expensive here at about 3X the cost of back in Los Angeles county for some odd, corrupt, reason.

Jared
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,913 Posts
Hi Jared

I'am still here in the SFV and they get you with one or the other, power or water just no way out from getting nailed.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined May 2002
3,854 Posts
Yes, I agree. My last corrupt SCE bill for a 1400sq' house back in mid 2009 was about $600.00 for one month.

No wonder I did moldies, as I could not afford the time to build Woodies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 08:31 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Sean, a new hobby? Please tell!

Good luck Jeff~ the right place will find you I'm reckoning.

Have fun launching and flying Jared, love to hear how it goes and what you do to it and so on please share the details somewhere, even here.
Cheers from Steve; still living my hobby through you guys.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:19 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
Are they electric? I'm looking at having a home built this winter and would prefer a tankless water heater, but the homes are all electric utilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Yes, they are usually electric.
In Japan they're LPG. The ones I've seen here in Texas are gas. Looking at the major home improvement stores they're now distinguishing between whole house and point of use heaters. All of the point of use heaters are electric and 240v. They don't move as much water (most seem in the 4 gallon per minute range) but they're 1/4 the cost. May be a good solution if you have low demand.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:43 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Well, sense this is a place for woodies - here is my latest build, called Thermal Bleed. 2m plank wing glider with light wing loading and JWL-097 airfoil. This was a test bed for several ideas/new things, some good, some not so much. I'm suprised that it flies at all, let alone as good as it has so far, full on launching and flying planed for this weekend.
Dammit you beat me to it!

I am currently making (or have been for the last few months anyway) a ~5oz/sqft plank-wing glider with a 1600mm or so wingspan. Its got a Peter Wick airfoil... no idea on the actualy one though. Perhaps an 0121 if that makes sense? Either way it'll be kitted out with tip-mounted vertstabs and a central electric motor for climb to altitude.

Please post pictures/video of the maiden... would love to see how yours goes!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Last edited by boingk; Aug 07, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,770 Posts
Beginning the 4th week of my new job. Getting a lot of exercise and now even my skinny jeans are getting loose. Travel trailer is working very well, and we got our first (low-ball ) offer on our Amarillo house today... and countered... we'll see how it goes... We will start looking in earnest when we have a contract and a closing date.

Darth Trailer Trash...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman