Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,921 Posts
Hi Jeff

About 2 wks ago i got a pinched nerve in my lower back and it has my left heel killing me too, at 71' i guess sh-t happens boy it sure slowed down my get a long.

Good luck with your new place.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Thanks Don. I think I figured out what I did that messed my leg up so bad. Getting old isn't for the meek. If it was....anyone could do it
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:58 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Glad you made it in one piece should have wave'd at me when you passed Seguin, tx on your left on the way out

the Coyote
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
I've made trips with no tunes before. Granted the car I was driving was so *** damn loud you wouldn't have heard them anyhow. I co-drove a 1st generation RX-7 with a peripheral ported engine and three "mufflers" from Dallas to Gainsville, FL. The kind gent I was co-driving with made it from Portland, OR, to Dallas all by his lonesome. With race-prep engines it is not uncommon for the chrome on the tail pipe to blue from the heat generated 16 feet upstream. With earplugs on and a helmet you get some strange looks on the freeway but at least my ears only range for a week afterward. I didn't have a SPL meter with me but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was over 115dB inside the cockpit. My own car with a leak after the resonator was less loud than this beast and it measured 114dB at 10m.

I haven't had a vehicle tire blow but I did have a trailer tire blow while heading downhill with my race car on it. It made the trailer scoot sideways and pulled the back of the van with it. I thought for sure that I was at least going to jack knife the trailer if I didn't flat out roll the whole way downhill. I managed to keep it under control but I did have to change my shorts.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:50 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
My first new car, a Geo Metro, didn't have a radio at all. I was a broke Airman about to get married and needed a car, but didn't have luck with used vehicles (still don't) so I bought the best my money could buy, which wasn't much. Drove that car non-stop from Minot, ND, to Ft. Wayne, IN, just one time. After the wedding we rented a U-Haul and trailered the car back to ND.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Well I finally got a chance to get the planes unloaded from the trip. A little hanger rash but other than that not to much damage. Not I ust have to find me a good slope to do some flying off of.

The leg is getting back into working condition again. I sure don't bounce back like I used to. Getting old can really suck at times. :

The property search has turned up some new gems. I'm torn between getting a place with a house already on it or getting a lot and building it out to my specs. Both ways have their advantages and drawbacks so I'm going to have to think long and hard on which way I want to go. At least I can get a general view of these different places through Google Earth. It's sure saving me from wasting gas running around to find that the trip to a place was a waste of time because it has a major wash running right down the middle of the property!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
A guy I used to race cars with bought an empty lot and slapped a 4-car workshop on it, filled it with cars and a full machine shop complete with engine dyno. Dropped a bed on the floor and plumbed basic utilities and air conditioning. Then he poured the foundation for his house, built workshops # 2 & 3 then got t-boned by a large truck. After he got out of the hospital and learned to walk again with a hip 1 1/2" narrower he built the rest of the house. I'd advise against the T-boning part but other than that it seems to have worked out pretty well for him. Something else to throw under your hat.
Last edited by Lacquerhead; Jul 28, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,043 Posts
I bought (maybe overbought) the last house I'll ever move into most likely. However, if I could start over I'd buy some land and build. I want a minimalist style pad, single story open floorplan, slight Japanese touches and constructed with ideas out of the box. I believe I could do 90% of the work and do it for less per square foot cost than is the norm. Also, I would really emphasize energy efficiency. My present house is about as good as any out there for low energy consumption but I believe there is a lot of room to take it to the next level. I do hate to look at my power bill sometimes but what is more important to me is comfort level. I demand meat freezer temps all year round.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:08 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Dig a big hole, put a tube in it, cover it back up.

My "if I had an unlimited budget" house would be semi-subterranian with a ranch style house on top to receive guests. Primary quarters would be below ground with a multi-car garage built in to the side of the hill. Primary goals are to keep the heat off the main structure and protect main living quarters against strong storms and tornadoes. Added bonus is zombie resistance.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,879 Posts
Japanese, to build a house with just Wood, saws, blades, mallets, a few stone and void of glue nor metal is quite something.

Don't know the rates in Florida, but back in SoCal under SCE, out little 1400sq' house was $600.00 a month.
Now our 2100sq' house it at worse $225.00.
Funny thing is about the water. Our old pool house in Socal was about $65.00 every two months. Now it about $75.00 a month without a pool and zero watering the lawn, garden and flowers.

At least the humidity is high enough to keep the woodies, wood and woodie kits in fine shape. Especially if it were to just to rain more.
We are in the third worse drought in history and quickly approaching the second worse, since the Dust Bowl.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jcstalls; Jul 28, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,043 Posts
Hey Jared,

Electric prices here sound more in line with IN than CA. My bill bounces around $200 or a little more each month. That's 2100 SF also so we're about the same. I do run more electrical stuff than needed. we have computers and TVs all over the house, shop is ACed and I don't monitor those power vampires like chargers and such sitting idle as I should.

Humidity? We wear our air here.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Good points guys as well as some good ideas. My plan is to have the house, a very large shop building/store front and a model flying field that you can fly ANYTHING off of. Large enough area for doing aero-towing and some other sailplane type events. Shaded flight prep areas etc. Building really is the best way for me to go but I'll be working off a strict budget. Guess it's a good thing I've worked the trades all my life. At least I can do 90% of the work myself. A lot of it is going to depend on just what I can find for a lot. I'm thinking a MINIMUM of 10 acres with 40 or so being ideal.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Good points guys as well as some good ideas. My plan is to have the house, a very large shop building/store front and a model flying field that you can fly ANYTHING off of. Large enough area for doing aero-towing and some other sailplane type events. Shaded flight prep areas etc. Building really is the best way for me to go but I'll be working off a strict budget. Guess it's a good thing I've worked the trades all my life. At least I can do 90% of the work myself. A lot of it is going to depend on just what I can find for a lot. I'm thinking a MINIMUM of 10 acres with 40 or so being ideal.
Don't forget the bar, a good sturdy pole for the dancers, disco ball and walk in beer cooler...................

Oooops, I was thinking about man-cave part II.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,879 Posts
Well Sean, we have similar units and usage. Most for the wife.

Please don't ever consider using a Kilowatt type device to know.
As we know, each watt hour of usage on one device may not seem much, yet basic math adds up far too quickly.

I did and still do use one, Anything not being used for a day, is shutt off completely
I here about it several times a week, from "She whom must be Obeyed"
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:12 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,043 Posts
Yeah Jared, I do need to keep a closer eye on everything. I keep meaning to install a timer on the water heater. I know that would make a little difference. It's just the two of us so no need to heat water during the daytime.

We did have a real power bill fiasco a couple of years ago. Wife comes home and announces she got a "good deal" (please note use of ") on a commercial tanning bed that was rebuilt. "We'll save a ton of money over me keeping my salon membership!".

Next thing I know we have every daughter, daughter-in-law and friend coming over. That thing practically glowed from usage not to mention it heats up the room it's in. When the electric bill arrived I was able to prove it would have been cheaper for me to pay for EVERYONE'S salon membership and still saved money. Thankfully, it now resides in storage.............unplugged.

Actually on topic of soaring: I am about to start a serious thinning of the herd. Not getting out and am keeping my good stuff but I have quite a few hangar queens that need a new home. Anyone interested in some old school bagged classics shoot me a PM.