Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:14 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,545 Posts
Go Ahead and go with the 'out of box' run- the 2 that I had were just fine @ (53) and( 57)Oz.
when she gets on the step, she accererates just a touch- about 25-35% faster, and much flattererr gooderer!
When I sheared the wing on the first one, trying to come down 'easily', I thought i eased back on the stick gently, shewent into 3 large loops, and popped the outer panel on the apex of the 3rd loop. took the outer panel 19 minutes to come down- of course, there were lots of corn husks falling from the sky that day too!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:05 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Woo hoo! That must have been quite a sight!

Were the corn husks really flying? I want to SEE that!
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:03 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,545 Posts
Ohh Yeah- the thermals are so plentiousness around here- surrounded by corn fields, just sucks them 'lil puppies wayyyyy up there somewhere- sometimes the hawks even play with 'em!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Hi Katie, I've been watching your silk Spirit project and let me add to the complements you have already received. That plane looks great. Even if you were to pass it on to some other sailplane pilot, it will be forever known as the tie dye Spirit Katie made.

I have been plugging along on my woodie build and thought I might share a picture here. The polyhedral wings are finished and I am almost ready for a final sanding and covering. It's been a long road in building this, it's my first scratch build, and I will really enjoy seeing it fly.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,682 Posts
Wow Wayne, that's a beautiful ship! What is it, a Raven with poly wings? You have a build thread going anywhere?

Mark

Edit: Never mind, I found it.. That build has been going for a while. Great job! My eyes going bad be damned, I got to get back to building. I got a full set of plans for the Italian Nibbio (3m) I got to get busy...
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Last edited by Quick61; Jul 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Hi Mark, thanks for the comment. The plane is called a Raven. It was designed back in 1986, its a 3 meter plane and I will be building a second Gull wing for it after I finish the poly wing. This way I can fly it as RES or as a full house plane depending on what I feel like flying for the day. I do indeed have a build thread going. Two other guys are building one along with me. Here is a link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270125

Wayne
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Thanks, Wayne! That's an awesome Raven you got going, too.

I have a whaddisit coming later. Someone from the yacht club gave me some plane pieces, and one bundle is a sailplane fuse of some sort with a T tail. The builder was evidently setting it up as an electric only- with nearly two pounds of battery and motor in the nose, it AIN'T gonna soar. If I can find the plans, I'll make it into an electric assist glider.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
... I got a full set of plans for the Italian Nibbio (3m) I got to get busy...
Mark,

I also have a set of plans for the Nibbio and it is on my hope to build it someday list. I would love to build it and fly it in NOS class events.

Wayne
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Mark,

I also have a set of plans for the Nibbio and it is on my hope to build it someday list. I would love to build it and fly it in NOS class events.

Wayne
Shiny. In thinking about doing the Nibbio build, I'm thinking that I might get started with the ply fuse formers. Maybe cut one or two out a night, then on to the ribs and such, slowly working up a "kit", that once all there, can be banged out at the end. In between, I should be able to get this 2m plank glider I have had on the bench WAY too long finished up.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:18 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Hey guys, guess who showed up at more door yesterday at about 11:00? Jeff (Scaflock)!! Had his truck and trailer loaded to bursting with everything he could carry along with his woodies. He made the big break, got his affairs in order and is headed West towards Arizona.

Kinda made me feel jealous. We're the same age and he's getting a fresh, new start. He should be there by Tuesday latest and will probably check in.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:23 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,871 Posts
Onya Jeff!!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Rissen hard and put away wet.....

OY my aching body!!!!!!!!! Sean I need a second body to go with this second chance!!!! I'm hurttin for certian!!!! Left leg is retty much non-op at this point from the ride and I can barely walk.

Me arse was starting to feel like part of the seat in the truck by the time I got to Houston, By the tme I got to Lordsberg NM I could barely walk. I was treated to somw wonderful sights along the way thanks to Mother Nature. I feel so good to get back to the desert and was treated to a great welcome home light show thanks to the monsoons.

I can barely type because I'm so sore.... More as I get a chance and recover more,,,,,
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:19 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Hope ya waved at myself, dwells, and Schrederman as you headed past D/FW. Thought about ya as I was heading out to get coffee this morning. Safe travels!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:41 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Well I took the southern route since I has never been in that part of the country and wanted to see the sights, (Two birds etc...) Here is a short recount of the events of the trip......

Left from Asheville at 9:30 pm after finishing up the repairs on Sharons trailer. Drove to the Macon Georgia rest stop and got some sleep before I caused a wreck on I-75.

Got to the house and helped Sharon with some of the heavier stuff that needed doing and stayed the night.

Dinished up the heavy work and loaded up my stuff and yet again hit the road about 9:00 pm.

Drove to Okaloosa, FL rest stop and tried sleeping. GOt up and headed to Seans place and showes up as he described. After shooting the breese for a bit I hit the roas again and heases west on I-10.

Made it to about halfway between Beaumont and Houston and the eyes started slamming shut on me yet again. (After 14 hours of driving what do ya expect?)

Headed out once again and had made it about halfway between San Antonio and El Paso when I had the left rear tire let go on me at about 65 mph. If you've never had that experiance, I do not recommend trying it. Pucker factor hit max and stayed that way for quite some time. Managed to get the spare mounted on and back on the road but at a greatly reduced speed.

Made it to the rest stop just east of Lordsberg. On the way there I was treated to some spectacular sights thanks to Mother Nature. I tried snapping some pics with my phone and will try to upload them in a bit as words just couldn't do the sights justice. Had a nice lightning show at the rest stop thanks to the summer monsoons.

Took off the next morning and hit MN-80 south to AZ and passed the property that I had been considering for the BBBC worls headquarters that has been sold before I could snag it up. Was glad that I missed it when I saw it. The land was great and would have made a super flying sight, but thte house was trashed. Answers the question as to why my requests for more pics went unanswered.

Made it into BIsbee, AZ and wasn't stopped once by Border Patrol!!!! I guess they figured I didn't have any room for illegal aliens with the load I had though I did see quite a few patrol units along the route.

SO now I'm in Bisbee and starting to look at properties. Now that I'm out here, I'm not seeing as many of the great deals as I was while in Georgia. It figures!!!!!

STill trying to recover from the trip as I did something to mess up my left leg and can only hobble around.

So that's the trip in a nutshell Things learned:

1. No matter what, Mother Nature is awesome in her works across our country.
2. This old dog can be taught some new tricks
3. Next road trip will NOT be made pulling a trailer across country!!!!!
4. Long periods of seclusion while driving are great for getting your thoughts together.
5. Never do a road trip without tunes!!!!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
#5 would be my #1. Never towed a trailer that far, but I've driven a 26' Ryder from MO to VA, and a U-Haul from MS to CT. Neither of those was any fun! Seclusion = Batchelorhood =
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet