Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:03 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflier View Post
Typically the ailerons are Down and Up deflection.
Flaps are Neutral to Down deflection.

Now depending on how you attach things you will want a different tapper.
I.E. if you use X method (I use this alot of spot planes you need to tapper both top and botton of the aileron leading edge

If you use tape along the top edge you only tapper the button edge on the ailerons.

I often do the same thing on the flaps. but it could be done reverse

Highflier
This ^^^^^^^

I forgot to mention how the tapers should be oriented.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:12 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,287 Posts
Much, much, much too late now. It is how it is, and I can't/ain't gonna fix it. Just call it a special feature. I'll post a picture later. It should fly fine.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:49 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
House and 7 acres in Amarillo is on the market! I'll be working in Ft. Worth on the 16th... We're both praying that we will never have to move again...
Well then, welcome to the Metroplex!!!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:53 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
All the best with the maiden Katie, pics please if you dare!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,912 Posts
To Steve and all the thread troops

Have a neat fourth of July.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:44 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
And a Happy Fourth from Florida to all!

I did something totally different for me today.............not one darn thing! I read, listened to music and took a nap! First daytime sleep I've had literally in years with the exception of the time I got the flu.

We're having our shindig on Saturday.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:03 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,602 Posts
Oly II build problem - any advice?

Hi all,

I'm just starting to build an OLY II SX, and have decided to start on the fuse. I'm at the part of the build where I'm to fasten the front ply/balsa section, to the rear balsa fuse section, and the instructions say to make sure to align the bottom edges of both pieces along a straight edge, as doing so ensures accurate setting of the decalage at the rear. So here's the problem I have...one of the rear balsa pieces is very "tweaked", and the bottom of it is anything but flat to align to the ruler. It almost looks like it moved when the laser was cutting it. The slight twist the other direction is easy to fix and will straighten out when assembling to the base and installing the top sheeting, but the upward twist in the fuse is more challenging, as I can't force it into position.

I guess that my options are:
1. sand a true straight edge on the bottom of the curved piece, removing the curve, then re-assemble along a straight edge as the instructions say - that will then cause a misalignment in the left and right top fuse edges of the surface where you mount the h-stab (not good).

2. glue the one side that is straight together, then using it as a template lay the pieces for the other side on top of them, ensuring alignment of the top edges, letting the bottom "wander" as it wants to. (ugly, but accurate where it needs to be?)

3. Call Ray and ask him to send out a couple of replacement pieces. I hate to do this, but it may be the best option?

I know that part of the beauty of working with wood is that one can get creative with the build, and I could probably wing this, however as these fuse pieces determine the accuracy of the rest of the tail build I want to get them right. It's a pretty important step not to do wrong.

I've attached a few pics that will hopefully help to explain a little further. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, in advance!

Thanks very much, and Happy 4th of July to all!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:13 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
If it was me I would pin the two halves together, correct the "bad side" H stab saddle to match the correct good side and then sand the good side's bottom to match. You should only end up with a slight upward taper on the bottom and that wouldn't even be noticed.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:17 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,602 Posts
Hey Sean, that's a really logical approach that I hadn't thought of and it would work easily. An added benefit would be a (slightly) lighter tail too, which is always a good thing. Excellent, thanks!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:31 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
I'm your go-to guy on screwed up stuff. I've sure had to fix plenty of my own.

Only critical thing is for

A: Both sides to match exactly

B: Relationship of wing saddle to H stab saddle. Just use the know correct side as a guide. (Incidence angle)

The bottom is not as critical as the top.
Last edited by seanpcola; Jul 04, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:38 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,602 Posts
Thanks again Sean, and I've learned a few things along the way on how to "fix" things - mostly that I've screwed up, and I'll add this technique to the quiver! Should be easy enough to do too, which is always a good thing

Cheers,

Rob
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:47 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,287 Posts
Rickenfrackingdagnabbitsteenkin video editor....
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,287 Posts
It flies!

Today I maidened the Spirit E. Wow! The first, first launch was piloted by me, but I had to have someone take if really soon after I got off the hook. I need more aileron practice!

Bruce was an angel, and helped me set up some flight modes, trimmed the plane (didn't need much *smug*), and flew it a few times so that I could get some videos. He says that it's really obedient, no stalling issues, penetrates well, and flies straight. A good plane! It is a little on the heavy side at 33 ounces, but that's not terrible. It's a good sloper, just what the frame was built for (I got it as a nearly finished kit plane). Heck, it didn't even have a tow hook until I put one in last night.

I uploaded a short video. I labelled it as the "first" flight, but really it's the second (shhh!). The first one I flew, as I should, but then it got away from me.

Tie Dye Spirit Elite Maiden Flight (1 min 25 sec)

I am working on a longer composite video, but it's my first time editing, and it'll be a while before I finish. You'll like it!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:00 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,035 Posts
That thing looks awesome Katie!!!!!!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
441 Posts
Katie,
33 oz is OK. I won 1st place WOODY at the RES CHALLENGE I.S.S. in riverside with a 3m Gnome that was about the heaviest model on the field. The 2m Elite needs a little weight to make that airfoil work.

ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer