Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:16 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,026 Posts
Hi Hoss

That is the one that i saw but did not know what they called them, i was amazed at all the custom made parts you can buy for those guns.

I'am with you on the wood as i got hooked on buying that stuff and spent a ton , then came to my cences and figured that 28 pcs was enough.

But i admit that i did buy more quilted maple and have 4 more cut and ready to color, but they will get bleached first then for the ladys one will be pink- one violet- and two left bleached as they look like pearl white.

Just way too many types of neat wood out there to pick from, i stepped up and bought a double crotch in Pink Ivory that is rasberry to a rubarb shade in color.

Just air drying now so it does not crack, then i will split it for 2 art works mounted on a trick gold base to show off the very rare pink wood 12" wide by 18" high and 2" thick.

Its amazing what mother nature hides in those bark covered tree trunks that look so plain till you cut them open, then a nice clear coat and wow does it come alive.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:10 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Steve

Did you find a good work gig yet?

G Don
Hi GDon, I just arrived in Katherine NT yesterday and will hit the job scene tomorrow. It was a good six week journey of 3200Km but it felt like 1 year on the road, so much happens to you with this mode of travel.

Gotta go back 5 pages now and catch up.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,026 Posts
Hi Steve

Good luck in finding a good job and glad you are safe & sound, DW wanted to see my new art video so it is posted on #10128.

G Don
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:04 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Hey Steve, glad you popped in and all is well. We were afraid you were accosted by some young and lovely damsel and got domesticated.

GDon, yep, 1911s are one of those toys you can go broke buying upgrades for (like cars). Those and AR-15s are "Barbie dolls" for guys:

http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboar...lay&thread=374
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,026 Posts
Hi Sean

I first learned about fancy wood at the Los Angeles Sportsman show each year, my dad started to take me when i was about 8 or 10 yr's old.

There was 2 or 3 guys what were building custom gun stocks out of Walnut, they would have several pcs of wood showing the different steps along the way.

And our older man next door was a Deer hunter and had quite a few rifles and they were in a nice wood & glass case all oiled and just spotless.

With my racing stuff 24-7 never had time for the gun & hunting hobby and my B/Gasser took all my cash just to run it !!

G Don
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,026 Posts
Hey DW

Did you get any of that big hail yesterday, my friend in Irving did.

Did you peek at the video?

G Don
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post

With my racing stuff 24-7 never had time for the gun & hunting hobby and my B/Gasser took all my cash just to run it !!

G Don
Who said Hoss and I can afford it?

Just like the RC hobby we obtain these toys through subterfuge, fear-mongering and deception.

We've got our wives convinced that the series "The Walking Dead" is a documentary.

Well, it could happen.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
My wife worked in the hobby for 27 yrs, no hiding what toys cost. She worked so we could go to contests, and visit with friends in the hobby.

ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I, uh.... I can't hide from ME, after all. No, I can't hide it from hubby, either. He has a hawk's eye on the credit and debit card. *sigh*
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
We've got our wives convinced that the series "The Walking Dead" is a documentary.

Well, it could happen.

What?! It isn't?
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborflyer View Post
My wife worked in the hobby for 27 yrs, no hiding what toys cost. She worked so we could go to contests, and visit with friends in the hobby.

ross

I'd think that would be both a blessing and a curse but I'm also willing to bet you almost always got the best deals.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
My wife knows what my motors, planes, radios are worth, so she will not get scammed if i am first to go to that big grass flying field that always has thermals.

ross
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:20 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
A lot of what I said was in jest. My wife knows every financial move I make. After all she is an accountant, IRS enrolled agent and as a matter of her daily functions has our bank accounts prominently displayed on a screen and updated every quarter of the hour. I can't buy a cup of coffee without her knowing how much sweetener and cream I put in it.

One time I bought a new transmitter and didn't mention it. From a distance it would have looked identical to my old one to most people, even other RCers. I was at the field in mid thermal one day when she pulled up a couple of hundred feet away from where I was standing. She wanted to tell me she was going shopping and asked what I wanted for dinner. We had a brief discussion and as she started back to the car she said "Did you get a new transmitter?". I replied "Yeah but how can you tell?". "Your old ones had the screen along the top, that one's on the bottom".

So, no, I don't get away with ANYTHING. She has flown a fairly good bit down through the years and is happy that I have a hobby that doesn't involve adult beverages or loose women. Also, and she's made the comment many times, ALL of my friends are involved in the hobby and every single one is an outstanding individual. She's even made the statement that "Hoss is an angel", which is hilarious considering that the Hosster is a 6'2" hairy former football player that flies RC almost nekkid.

As for the gun thing, she didn't mind me getting involved since she's from Oklahoma and rifles were carried around on their ranch as often as anybody wears a watch. At first she didn't care for the handgun side of it but once she went to the range a few times she is now seriously into it. Same with Hoss's wife. We created monsters.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Sometimes you guys scare the crap out of me!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Before we were married, over 42 yrs ago my wife let me build a Cleveland Playboy on the kitchen table. and we are still married. the table is hers, the garage is MINE.

ross