Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Alas, I don't have Photochop. I have GIMP, but I've never even opened it yet.

Oh, bugger. I did it, once, but I can't remember how I did it. Windows Picture Viewer WON'T, and Photo Viewer won't even open it, it says it's too big. I'll think of something.

ETA: I got it! MS Paint.
I'd measure the printed copy. I don't trust any setting that says "fit to." Also, I'm not certain about MS Paint's fidelity to print size (dots per inch).
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Gimp is far superior to MS Paint and incalculably cheaper than Photochomp. I use it for all my astrophotography fiddly bits and any other image manipulation that I may need, which isn't much.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
HI DW
Here is my new Art video that you wanted to see
DonNowell Art cut15 (6 min 15 sec)

A friend of Ross's Jim gave me the info to post it.

If you go to the yuotube toolbar at the bottom right and click the window it will go to full screen

Enjoy

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
Gimp is far superior to MS Paint and incalculably cheaper than Photochomp. I use it for all my astrophotography fiddly bits and any other image manipulation that I may need, which isn't much.
Price? Website?
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2004
218 Posts
Hey Don and Joe....

This is what you were looking for.
http://www.gimp.org/

Have fun.
Bruce in Austin
Bruce1 is offline Find More Posts by Bruce1
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
What is it you're trying to get printed? I'll be happy to provide some techincal assistance if I can. I've done both tiled printing and printing large format at Kinkos. I prefer the single large format print for about $12 per sheet. I think they charge about what Wazmo quoted but I'd have to call to verify. I always take my plans in and make copies so I don't munge up the original. I always pined over the destroyed plans at the end of a build until I learned of this wide format thing-a-ma-jigger.
A 1/4 scale Fauvel and a Kirby Gull. Later a Petrolia Cobra. The Fauvel is definitely on my to-do list.

I have sheet one of the Fauvel printed, all 30-odd pages. My computer locked up on sheet two-- I'll try again later.

Lacquer, if you ever do make those ribs, could you send a digital copy my way? I have a fuse, and a hot-rod set of wings sounds like just the prank on contest day. :evil grin:

It reminds me of a track day the Fiat club did at Thunder Hill last month. In the morning, all the "serious" participants (this wasn't a Fiat America only event) with thier Ferraris and such, passed by this little round Fiat with fancy stickers, and didn't think another thought about it. After the day was done, and the little Abarth had worn it's tires right off, the "serious" folks were impressed.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,473 Posts
Quote:
A 1/4 scale Fauvel and a Kirby Gull. Later a Petrolia Cobra. The Fauvel is definitely on my to-do list.

I have sheet one of the Fauvel printed, all 30-odd pages. My computer locked up on sheet two-- I'll try again later.
If you can't get it sorted, send me the image, or a link to download it, and I'll see what I can do.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
Price? Website?
The GIMP is a pretty mature open source project. I've used it casually for quite a number of years. The biggest limitation is that it can only handle 16-bit per channel color and 8-bit alpha but that is changing with the next major release. It has been in development for some time but they're slowly getting closer to a release version. Astrophotography is the only thing I've done where the extra bit depth makes a noticeable difference primarily because you're dealing with such low signal to begin with. General photography doesn't seem to need any where near as much depth.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:

Lacquer, if you ever do make those ribs, could you send a digital copy my way? I have a fuse, and a hot-rod set of wings sounds like just the prank on contest day. :evil grin:

It reminds me of a track day the Fiat club did at Thunder Hill last month. In the morning, all the "serious" participants (this wasn't a Fiat America only event) with thier Ferraris and such, passed by this little round Fiat with fancy stickers, and didn't think another thought about it. After the day was done, and the little Abarth had worn it's tires right off, the "serious" folks were impressed.

When assembling the tiled pages I find it easiest to cut the margin off of one side so there is a little lap under the printed page. Once lined up to my satisfaction a couple small bits of painters tape to tack it in place before hitting it with cellophane or packing tape. The paper tapes are much less prone to static which may actually suck the page off the table but they're kind of hard to see through.

For autosports track days I have similar stories. My little 130hp RX-7 lapped many, many cars including but not limited to hot-rodded F-body Camaros, Mustang GTs, Porsche Boxsters by the handful, the occasional 911, and a boat load of Hondas and Toyotas. Being able to overrev occasionally didn't hurt.

On the GL wing, if you can send me the spans, dihedrals, sweeps (unless the TE is straight), and chord at the joints I can slap that into CompuFoil in a hurry. From there I can spit out any number of formats and you can cut your own ribs. I would suggest a minimum of sheer webs and carbon capped spars across the majority of the wingspan. I like how Don did the Chrysalis and I hope to emulate that on anything I build. It is said it wasn't designed for a full-pedal launch but it sure handles my dumb foot without complaint!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
HI DW
Here is my new Art video that you wanted to see http://youtu.be/v-0dT6D0078

A friend of Ross's Jim gave me the info to post it.

If you go to the yuotube toolbar at the bottom right and click the window it will go to full screen

Enjoy

G Don
Wow Gdon! Beautiful stuff!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
Hi Sean

Thanks for the kind words, a few years back i had to come up with a new product to sell .
As my eye's etc were getting older and standing at the mill & lathe for weeks building parts for the 1/4 scale bikes was getting to be a problem.
So that is why i got into the art world, plus being a life long gearhead racer guy i needed a change in my life so now i'am a artist dude.
Should get my DVD copys soon and i can start sending out my PR package.

G Don
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
Been a while since I checked in and I walk into the middle of an art show! Those sculptures are amazing Don. I like the shiny metal parts, but the way you did the wood is beautiful! I'll admit I did have one thought running through my head when I saw the whole line-up of choices..... I'd never be able to choose just one wood!
Ever thought about making custom pistol grips? There's a huge market out there for them.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
Been a while since I checked in and I walk into the middle of an art show! Those sculptures are amazing Don. I like the shiny metal parts, but the way you did the wood is beautiful! I'll admit I did have one thought running through my head when I saw the whole line-up of choices..... I'd never be able to choose just one wood!
Ever thought about making custom pistol grips? There's a huge market out there for them.
Oooh ooohhh me first! I'll by a 1911 just so I can get some sweet GDon custom grips for it.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
Hi Guys

When i was buying all that wood i saw a bunch of those cool grips, looked like the grip supply field was pretty much filled with a bunch of guys making them already.

Sean what is a 1911 , i did see that you can buy a whole 45 cal ww2 pistol in pcs and custon build your own in different styles.

I talked to one guy that was selling just Cocobolo grips, and had a shop down by the Panama canel and 15 yrs ago he was very busy making those cool grips.

Also i think it would take a special set up to do that checkering on a curved surface, i just don't have the cash to get into a new whole deal again.

Since i jumped in the deep end of the pool with this art program , i 'am kinda locked in here getting this art stuff to fly!! plus at 71' i'am running out of gas doing way too many things.

Wan't to get the art selling on its own so i can start building my new 1/5 scale Hot Rod Primary glider, been taking notes now about ready to draw the final plans

G Don
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,670 Posts
http://http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/images/misc/maxsell_colt_1911_blank_fir.jpg
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72