Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,122 Posts
Well, I knew that Oz was famous for unusual fauna, but an amphibian with mammary glands and primate-style teeth does seem to be stretching things a bit!

Of course since they already have a near-monopoly on the only species of mammals that lay eggs (platypus & echidna), I guess anything's possible.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; May 08, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Haha, nice one Steve! Coupla mates would enjoy that for sure.

News here is that I got my General Flight Proficiency ticket and can now have extended intervals between mandatory instructor checks, plus give mates a ride while I'm practicing circuits, stalls, spins etc. Loving it.

I also totalled my HK Canary glider... think a repair on the tail gave way on a downwind landing. I had sod all control even at full lock and the thing cartwheeled a few times before coming to rest. The wing and feathers are actually ok but the fuselage is toast. No matter, now I can make her a true Woodie!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old May 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Guys

Just was wondering if the thread was still alive, Steve how is the work finding going?

G don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old May 14, 2012, 11:52 PM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Hi Don,
I'm out in central Qld so I don't often get wireless internet but for the occasional larger country town, you caught me on a good day at Longreach. Some work offers but nothing full time so I will keep going north west. Ran into an old timer RC guy in Barcaldine and we flew his mini stick and old Debbie EP planes, and played around with ressurecting dead lipo's, it was great to talk RC again with a guy who had so much lifetime experience and yet was learning the new EP ways, Eric is 84 yo.

This thread? I dunno, I don't close it in case it offends someone and besides, some very knowlegable people drop in occasionally and that's worth something. But if it is dying, it is only following the natural course of its life.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old May 15, 2012, 12:47 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Steve

I will do my part to keep the thread alive, your new friend has got a few yrs on me i wil be 71' next Tuesday.

These sailplanes are really good for keeping you alive when old age starts to get to ya !!!, cant wait to get to building my new 80" Primary glider [ 1/5 scale ] but need more notes yet but getting close to cutting some wood.

Hope you get a good job soon, keep truck'n

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old May 15, 2012, 02:12 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
No, its not dying. I'm busy building a Dynaflite BoT right now and of course replacing wood as I go. I'm building it as a 3-piece. I drew up the center dihedral brace just this AM. I'll probably use carbon joiner tubes for the tips, much like Don Stackhouse uses on his Chrysalis 2M. I've got another woodie on the bench but it's got stubby winds and one of those windmills on the nose so it doesn't count for this thread. Hey, at least it's wood.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old May 15, 2012, 07:34 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Nope, not dying. If a statistical analysis of this thread was done as to posting times and dates I'd bet it would show an ebb every year in the late Spring. Everyone gets busy around now with Spring chores or just digging out of Winter.

I've been working on my house almost every minute I'm not at work. Pushing to get some remodeling finished before this weekend. Wife is hosting the annual ABG (sorority/college activity thing) officer election meeting here at the house so I need everything wrapped up, tools put away and such by NLT 1:00 PM on Saturday. The meeting should wrap up by 5:00 and if all goes well the gathering should deteriorate into good old fashioned street party. A certain member of this forum who shall remain nameless (hint: He advocates soaring in his birthday suit) was invited to come but his better half nixed the idea with the announcement that they must attend a silly wedding. I have put the word on the street that if he fails to show up I'm coming over at midnight and toilet paper his his house and donut his freshly landscaped front yard. He'll have no one to blame but his wife.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old May 15, 2012, 08:32 AM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
Helping the thread along with another post.
Anybody remember my E-maurader? White an Transparent Purple. Well that was done 100% in HK covering. I thought it was quite nice. Not only are the rolls a tad cheaper, But you get way more covering per roll. So I give it a big thumbs up, with only one exception. Out of all the rolls I ordered they gave me one that was the last of the master roll. Thus it was not rolled up properly and had a lot of wrinkles in it.

All that said. I have 6 rolls of the stuff left and am very happy with it.

Highflier

PS. Nap time for the Eagles........ one was just hopping into the air with the flap of his wings. Looks like he was working on his flight balance
CG looked a little aft.
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old May 15, 2012, 08:52 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
I'm going to have to order some of that HK covering. Sounds like it's good stuff.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Looks like the eaglets are just about ready for their maidens. Had a nest building tutorial from mom today. Anyone interested in a pool for the date of their first flights?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old May 16, 2012, 01:38 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
That could be interesting. I'm game!
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old May 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
How could this thread ever die, too many woody builders. Anybody out there building a Hayes machine will find a plethora of tips, tricks and mods here. However, we do need more build stuff and lots more pics. Hell, I'm gonna start posting rebuild pics just for sh_ts and grins . Bring on the builds wooders!!!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old May 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I'm going to have to order some of that HK covering. Sounds like it's good stuff.
Go for it mate, I've only ever used it and have never had a problem - everything from 72" nitro planes right down to my little 18"/2.4oz flying wing. Definitely worth a look-in.

I don't see this thing dying either, I mean hell I've done 45 hours in the last 4 days and still find time to post/fly/live/love!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old May 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,089 Posts
Hey boingk,

A friend informed me last night that he has several rolls of the HK stuff. I'm going to steal...............errrrr.........borrow a roll from him and try it out soon.

Still nothing done on sailplanes but I intend to sling the snot out of a DLG Sunday morning weather permitting.
Old May 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
I actually got to fly on Wednesday... and had a spectacular day. I flew the Duet a couple of times, from hand launch, and had one 15 minute ride with her... Practiced landings and low saves for the rest of the day with my 3.7 Xplorer... fabulous weather... OK... back to work for another month...

Nope, I ain't dead... yet...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman